Trial date set for Coast Guard officer who allegedly maintained 'Hit List'

news
The Recruitment Of Veterans By White Supremacy Groups On The Rise

Editor's Note: This article by Patricia Kime originally appeared on Military.com, a leading source of news for the military and veteran community.

A trial date has been set for the Coast Guard officer charged earlier this year with stockpiling weapons and drug possession and who also allegedly maintained a hit list of prominent Democrats and journalists and told friends he dreamed of ways "to kill almost every last person on the earth."

Lt. Christopher Paul Hasson will appear in U.S. District Court in Greenbelt, Maryland, on Oct. 21 for what is scheduled to be a six-day jury trial. The officer, whom government officials called a "domestic terrorist" in initial court filings, has remained in custody since his arrest Feb 15.


Hasson had been working as an acquisitions officer on the Coast Guard's National Security Cutter program at the service's headquarters in Washington, D.C. at the time of his arrest. A former Marine who also served two years in the Army National Guard, he was arrested at his home in Silver Spring, Maryland, in possession of 15 firearms, including shotguns, semi-automatic rifles and handguns, and more than 1,000 rounds of mixed ammunition.

He also possessed the pain medication Tramadol, to which he admitted to friends he was addicted, according to court papers.

A search of Hasson's house reportedly uncovered extensive writings and musings on neo-fascism, neo-Nazism and white supremacy. Officials said he had researched far-right extremist and mass murderer Anders Breivik and wrote that he needed to "to take serious look at appropriate individual targets, to bring greatest impact. Professors, DR's, Politician's, Judges, leftists in general."

He also allegedly maintained a list of potential targets that included Speaker of the House Rep. Nancy Pelosi, D-California; Sen. Richard Blumenthal, D-Connecticut; and MSNBC host and former Republican congressman Joe Scarborough.
But he is not charged with planning any terrorism-related acts.

Hasson's attorneys had sought his release to family homes in Virginia while awaiting trial. A magistrate approved the plan but gave time for prosecutors to appeal. In May, U.S. District Judge George Hazel overturned the decision, ruling after an evidentiary hearing that showed Hasson's assault-style weapons, body armor and silencer parts that he should remain in custody.

Hazel will preside over the trial, according to the court calendar.

This article originally appeared on Military.com

More articles from Military.com:

KABUL/PESHAWAR, Pakistan (Reuters) - The Taliban will implement a 10-day ceasefire with U.S. troops, a reduction in violence with Afghan forces and discussions with Afghan government officials if it reaches a deal with U.S. negotiators in talks in Doha, two sources have said.

If an agreement is sealed, it could revive hopes for a long-term solution to the conflict in Afghanistan.

Read More
U.S. Navy/Chief Mass Communication Specialist Dan Mennuto

The Defense Department announced on Friday that training would resume for international military students — once some additional policies and security measures were put in place.

Read More

WASHINGTON (Reuters) - A U.S. House of Representatives committee renewed a threat on Friday to subpoena Secretary of State Mike Pompeo if he does not provide information about Iran policy and President Donald Trump's ordering of the strike that killed an Iranian military commander.

Representative Eliot Engel, the Democratic chairman of the House Foreign Affairs Committee, said he scheduled a public hearing with Pompeo for Wednesday, Jan. 29.

Read More
Abu Abdul Bari (Twitter/@AliBaroodi)

Iraqi security forces earlier this week captured a larger-than-life ISIS official so massive that authorities were forced to haul him off in the bed of a police pickup truck after his arrest.

Read More
An aerial view of the Pentagon building in Washington, June 15, 2005. (Reuters/Jason Reed JIR/CN)

THE PENTAGON — While speaking to reporters on Friday, Chief Pentagon spokesman Jonathan Hoffman dismissed the idea that soldiers' injuries from the Jan. 8 Iranian attack was downplayed in order to advance a "political agenda" and de-escalate the situation with Iran.

Read More