Hitler’s Red 'Death Phone,' And Other Signs the World Is Ending This Week

news
Screenshot via YouTube

Anything happening recently on the military and diplomatic front? Funny you should ask. It’s been a week, let’s put it that way. It seems the road to Armageddon is paved with tweets. Time to roll up our sleeves and try to make sense of it.


  • The Pentagon’s online fight against ISIS, a campaign begun under President Obama, is a total shitshow of incompetence and graft that was papered over by sunshiney reports, according to the Associated Press. One issue: the program’s Arabic specialists are kind of bad at Arabic: “[T]ranslators repeatedly mix up the Arabic words for ‘salad’ and ‘authority.’ That's led to open ridicule on social media about references to the ‘Palestinian salad.’”
  • The fallout from the White House’s new travel ban on mostly Muslim refugees from seven nations continues apace. After an uproar from vets’ groups and a some sound advice from the Department of Defense, Trump’s administration issued an exception to the ban for Iraqi “LNs,” local nationals who helped coalition forces as interpreters and analysts. Now they can leave a bitterly divided country where they’re constantly targeted for hate and come to America, which ... hey, we’re getting there.
  • Australia, one of America’s closest allies in the Pacific and regular suppliers of troops for the long war, ended up on America’s shitlist after a contentious phone call between President Donald Trump and his Australian counterpart, Prime Minister David Turnbull. Realizing the importance of the relationship to America’s national security, Trump quickly clarified his remarks through proper diplomatic channels. Just kidding, he doubled down on Twitter. By the way, kangaroos can box!

  • Something else Stephen Bannon said last year: “We’re going to war in the South China Sea in five to 10 years, aren’t we? There’s no doubt about that.” On that score, he and the Chinese seem to agree. And Chinese state-run media said Wednesday a new aircraft carrier scheduled for delivery in 2019 would be based in the South China Sea to handle “complicated situations.”
  • Russian-backed separatist groups in eastern Ukraine started shelling a city held by Ukrainian government forces Sunday, leaving as many as 20,000 residents without shelter, heat, or water in the middle of winter. NATO, wary of further alienating Russia, responded by canceling talks it had planned with Ukrainian officials on missile defense and gently asking Moscow to pretty please, give it a rest.
  • After Houthi rebels in Yemen attacked a Saudi warship with a suicide boat Monday, National Security Adviser Michael Flynn blamed Iranian support for the Houthis and announced that “as of today, we are officially putting Iran on notice.” Trump tweeted the same thing. That apparently was news to CENTCOM.

  • Trump’s first authorized clandestine raid — a grab for intel at a Yemeni Al Qaeda stronghold that killed a Navy Seal chief — was a charlie foxtrot from start to finish, according to military officials who are leaking like crazy to reporters. The raid, which had been reviewed by the Obama administration but delayed for optimum weather, got blown and the U.S. operators faced stiff resistance. The administration, however, says the intelligence gained was good, and the Pentagon is reportedly planning more such raids in Yemen and elsewhere. Trump was on hand at Dover Air Force Base Wednesday to receive the fallen chief’s remains.
  • Multiple sources tell Reuters that the Trump administration plans to make over the government’s longstanding “Countering Violent Extremism” program as the “Countering Radical Islamic Extremism” program, so that it “would no longer target groups such as white supremacists who have also carried out bombings and shootings in the United States.”
  • In completely unrelated news, a 27-year-old French-Canadian, anti-immigrant Trump fan walked into a Quebec City mosque during services Sunday night and shot six worshipers to death, injuring another 19. Fox News erroneously reported that the murderer was Moroccan, leading Canada’s prime minister to call the news channel out.
  • Have you always wanted Hitler’s phone, the red swastika-stamped one that he probably used to order up millions of deaths? Do you have a spare $300,000? Buddy, are you in luck.

  • You might not realize it, but pop culture still exists. Beyonce is expecting twins and posing for interesting pregnancy photos. Maybe it’s something in the lemonade.
Casperassets.rbl.ms

Benjamin Franklin nailed it when he said, "Fatigue is the best pillow." True story, Benny. There's nothing like pushing your body so far past exhaustion that you'd willingly, even longingly, take a nap on a concrete slab.

Take $75 off a Casper Mattress and $150 off a Wave Mattress with code TASKANDPURPOSE

And no one knows that better than military service members and we have the pictures to prove it.

Read More Show Less
Staff Sgt. Joshua Z. Beale (U.S. Army photo)

The Pentagon has identified a Green Beret who was killed on Tuesday by enemy small arms fire in southern Afghanistan as Staff Sgt. Joshua Z. Beale.

Beale was assigned to 1st Battalion, 3rd Special Forces Group (Airborne) at Fort Bragg, North Carolina, according to U.S. Army Special Operations Command. He was killed during combat operations in Tarin Kowt, Uruzgan Province, Afghanistan.

Read More Show Less
(The 621st Contingency Response Wing/Flickr)

The commandant of the U.S. Coast Guard called the ongoing partial government shutdown "unacceptable" following reports that some Coast Guardsmen are relying on donations from food pantries while their regular paychecks remain on hold.

"We're five-plus weeks into the anxiety and stress of this government lapse and your non-pay," Adm. Karl Schultz said in a video message to service members. "You, as members of the armed forces, should not be expected to shoulder this burden."

Read More Show Less
The M160 Robotic Mine Flail at Fort Leonard Wood, Missouri. Photo: Maj. Dan Marchik/U.S. Army

The battlefield of the future could feature robot medics delivering life-saving care to casualties in the line of fire. At least, that's what the Army is aiming for — and it's willing to pay millions for help doing it.

Read More Show Less
Retired U.S. Army Lt. Col. Charles Kettles was awarded the Medal of Honor July 18, 2016, for his actions while serving as a Flight Commander assigned to the 176th Aviation Company (Airmobile) (Light), 14th Combat Aviation Battalion, Americal Division. Then-Maj. Kettles distinguished himself in combat operations near Duc Pho, Republic of Vietnam, on May 15, 1967. (U.S. Army/Spc. Tammy Nooner)

YPSILANTI, MI - When a brigade of U.S. troops was ambushed by the North Vietnamese Army in the Song Tra Cau riverbed on the morning of May 15, 1967, Lt. Charles Kettles volunteered to lead the rescue, and he refused, again and again, to back down when faced with a barrage of gunfire.

His aircraft badly damaged, left spilling fuel, and his gunner was severely injured during the treacherous operation.

But he helicoptered in and out of the battlefield four times, saving the lives of 44 soldiers in a death-defying emergency operation that would become a legendary tale of bravery in the Vietnam War.

Nearly 50 years later, Kettles received the Medal of Honor on July 18, 2016.

Read More Show Less