Homeless veteran gets probation, mandatory rehab for $400,000 GoFundMe scam

(GoFundMe photo)

Johnny Bobbitt Jr. was sentenced Friday to five years special drug court probation and ordered to enroll in a drug rehabilitation program after admitting to his role in a $402,706 GoFundMe scam that solicited funds from more than 14,000 donors across the country with a fraudulent "Good Samaritan" story.

During a 15-minute hearing in Superior Court in Mount Holly, N.J., Bobbitt, 36, made no remarks to the judge other than "No, Sir," when asked if he had anything to say. Other than his lawyers, no one appeared in court to speak on his behalf.

Bobbitt pleaded guilty last month to a charge of conspiracy to commit theft by deception. His co-defendants, Mark D'Amico and Kate McClure, have also been charged by the Burlington County, N.J., prosecutor and are awaiting a hearing.

Under the terms of his sentencing in drug court, he will have to testify against D'Amico and McClure and cooperate with state authorities. He also will be required to enroll in a live-in drug rehabilitation facility that will allow him to avoid prison if he remains drug-free. If he fails to complete the program, which offers intensive court-monitored treatment, he would be have to serve five years in prison, including 18 months without parole.

State Superior Court Judge Christopher J. Garrenger said the sentence was appropriate because the fraud "represents a breach of public trust." He also said there is a need to deter others from participating in conspiracies to defraud donors.

But the judge also said that Bobbitt has significant drug addiction and that he is "particularly likely to respond to treatment." Garrenger wished Bobbitt success with the program and warned he would go to prison if he doesn't follow the rule

In 2017, prosecutors say, Bobbitt, then homeless, conspired with D'Amico and McClure to create a false narrative that he used his last $20 to help McClure when she ran out of a gas on a winter night on an I-95 off-ramp in Philadelphia. McClure and her then-boyfriend, D'Amico, started a GoFundMe campaign that promised to raise money to get Bobbitt off the street.

The campaign went viral, and Bobbitt appeared with the couple on national television to spread their story. As donations poured in, prosecutors say, McClure and D'Amico spent the bulk of the money on vacations, casino excursions, a BMW and luxury goods. They bought Bobbitt a camper, and he lived in it for a time on a property McClure's family owned in Florence Township. They also gave him about $25,000, some of which he spent on drugs, prosecutors said.

Bobbitt also pleaded guilty to a single count of conspiracy to commit money laundering in federal court in Camden, N.J., last month. He faces six to 30 months in federal prison. U.S. District Judge Jerome Simandle agreed to postpone sentencing on the federal charges until he completes the drug program.

McClure, 28, also pleaded guilty in federal court to one count of conspiracy to commit wire fraud. She faces up to 33 months in prison when she is sentenced on June 19. She also faces conspiracy to theft by deception charges filed by Burlington County prosecutors. That case is pending.

D'Amico, 39, faces the same criminal charges in the pending Burlington County case. Matt Reilly, a spokesman for the U.S. attorney in New Jersey, said he could not "confirm or deny" that his office is investigating D'Amico.


©2019 Philly.com. Distributed by Tribune Content Agency, LLC.

SEE ALSO: Homeless Veteran Pleads Guilty To Conspiracy In $400,000 GoFundMe Hoax

In this June 7, 2009 file photo Los Angeles Lakers guard Kobe Bryant (24) points to a player behind him after making a basket in the closing seconds against the Orlando Magic in Game 2 of the NBA basketball finals in Los Angeles. Bryant, the 18-time NBA All-Star who won five championships and became one of the greatest basketball players of his generation during a 20-year career with the Los Angeles Lakers, died in a helicopter crash Sunday, Jan. 26, 2020. He was 41. (Associated Press/Mark J. Terrill)

Beloved basketball legend Kobe Bryant, his daughter, and seven other people were killed in a helicopter crash in Calabasas, California on Sunday. Two days earlier, Army Spc. Antonio I. Moore was killed during a vehicle rollover accident while conducting route clearing operations in Syria.

Which one more deserves your grief and mourning? According to Maj. Gen. John R. Evans, commander of the U.S. Army Cadet Command, you only have enough energy for one.

Read More
A screenshot from the video (Twitter)

Video posted on social media appears to show the wreckage of a U.S. aircraft that went down on Monday in Ghanzi province Afghanistan, which is partly controlled by the Taliban.

Read More
U.S. Marines with 2nd Battalion, 7th Marines assigned to the Special Purpose Marine Air-Ground Task Force-Crisis Response-Central Command (SPMAGTF-CR-CC) 19.2, observe protestors toss Molotov Cocktails over the wall of the Baghdad Embassy Compound in Iraq, Dec. 31, 2019. (U.S. Marine Corps photo by Sgt. Kyle C. Talbot)

One person was injured by Sunday's rocket attack on the U.S. Embassy in Baghdad, Task & Purpose was learned. The injury was described as mild and no one was medically evacuated from the embassy following the attack.

Read More
The front gate of Dachau (Pixabay/Lapping)

At age 23 in the spring of 1945, Guy Prestia was in the Army fighting his way across southern Germany when his unit walked into hell on earth — the Nazi death camp at Dachau.

"It was terrible. I never saw anything like those camps," said Prestia, 97, who still lives in his hometown of Ellwood City.

Read More
The U.S. Navy aircraft carrier USS Gerald R. Ford (CVN-78) underway on its own power for the first time while leaving Newport News Shipbuilding, Newport News, Virginia (USA), on April 8, 2017. (U.S. Navy/Mass Communication Specialist 2nd Class Ridge Leoni)

Against a blistering 56 mph wind, an F/A-18F Super Hornet laden with fuel roared off the flight deck of the aircraft carrier Gerald R. Ford and into the brilliant January sky.

No glitches.

Chalk up another step forward for America's newest and most expensive warship.

The Ford has been at sea since Jan. 16, accompanied by Navy test pilots flying a variety of aircraft. They're taking off and landing on the ship's 5 acre flight deck, taking notes and gathering data that will prove valuable for generations of pilots to come.

The Navy calls it aircraft compatibility testing, and the process marks an important new chapter for a first-in-class ship that has seen its share of challenges.

"We're establishing the launch and recovery capabilities for the history of this class, which is pretty amazing," said Capt. J.J. "Yank" Cummings, the Ford's commanding officer. "The crew is extremely proud, and they recognize the historic context of this."

Read More