How Bob Woodruff's Terrible Day 10 Years Ago Led To Something Unexpected

news
Bob Woodruff arrives at the Academy of Television Arts and Sciences 20th Annual Hall of Fame Induction Gala in Beverly Hills, Calif. on Thursday, Jan. 20, 2011.
AP photo by Matt Sayles

On Jan. 29, 2006 a roadside bomb in Taji, Iraq, nearly killed ABC news correspondent Bob Woodruff — but it didn’t. Ten years later, Woodruff celebrated the anniversary of the day he nearly died, or as he puts it, his “tenth alive day.”


Woodruff suffered a traumatic brain injury from the explosion and received treatment in hospitals from Iraq to Germany and all the way back in the United States. After falling into in a medically induced coma for 36 days and a long and challenging recovery, he beat the odds.

During his recovery alongside wounded troops at the National Naval Medical Center in Bethesda, Maryland, Woodruff was able to put a spotlight on injuries and wounds that, until then, had been largely under reported.

“Being in the media, Bob put a familiar face on the fact that injuries like these were happening every day,” Anne Marie Dougherty, executive director of the Bob Woodruff Foundation, said in a statement to Task & Purpose. “And with Bob recovering in the same hospital as our injured troops, the Woodruffs gained a huge appreciation for the struggles of military families.”

Related: Wounded veteran: ‘We have to protect our own and honor the fallen.’

After his injury, Woodruff and his wife, Lee, founded the Bob Woodruff Foundation in 2007. Since then, the organization has given away more than $30 million in order to “create long-lasting, positive outcomes for our nation’s wounded, ill and injured veterans, service members and their families,” explained a statement from the foundation.

The Foundation is supported in part by a yearly concert called “Stand Up For Heroes,” and features performers such as John Oliver and Bruce Springsteen. Additionally, NPR reported that the foundation gave away 87% of the money it received last year, and a tax record shows that it issues grants of more than $3 million each year.

Though the injury may have altered Woodruff’s plans for his career in journalism, he says that nothing compares to the good that eventually came out of a terrible day, 10 years ago.

“You've got to at some point just stop dreaming of being exactly the way that you were,” Woodruff told NPR. “A lot of moments in your life — or things that you're doing in your life — will be better than they were before. The work that we've done with our foundation. I think, is the most satisfying, fulfilling thing I've ever done in my life.”

Boyfriends can sometimes do some really weird shit. Much of it is well-meaning: A boy I liked in high school once sang me a screamo song that he wrote over the phone. He thought it would be sweet, and while I appreciated that he wanted to share it with me, I also had no idea what he was saying. Ah, young love.

Sure, this sounds cringeworthy. But then there's 2020 Democratic presidential candidate Cory Booker, who appears to be, dare I say, the best boyfriend?

Read More Show Less

CEYLANPINAR, Turkey (Reuters) - Shelling could be heard at the Syrian-Turkish border on Friday morning despite a five-day ceasefire agreed between Turkey and the United States, and Washington said the deal covered only a small part of the territory Ankara aims to seize.

Reuters journalists at the border heard machine-gun fire and shelling and saw smoke rising from the Syrian border battlefield city of Ras al Ain, although the sounds of fighting had subsided by mid-morning.

The truce, announced on Thursday by U.S. Vice President Mike Pence after talks in Ankara with Turkish President Tayyip Erdogan, sets out a five-day pause to let the Kurdish-led SDF militia withdraw from an area controlled by Turkish forces.

The SDF said air and artillery attacks continued to target its positions and civilian targets in Ral al Ain.

"Turkey is violating the ceasefire agreement by continuing to attack the town since last night," SDF spokesman Mustafa Bali tweeted.

The Kurdish-led administration in the area said Turkish truce violations in Ras al Ain had caused casualties, without giving details.

Read More Show Less

The Colt Model 1911 .45 caliber semiautomatic pistol that John Browning dreamed up more than a century ago remains on of the most beloved sidearms in U.S. military history. Hell, there's a reason why Army Gen. Scott Miller, the top U.S. commander in Afghanistan, still rocks an M1911A1 on his hip despite the fact that the Army no longer issues them to soldiers.

But if scoring one of the Army's remaining M1911s through the Civilian Marksmanship Program isn't enough to satisfy your adoration for the classic sidearm, then Colt has something right up your alley: the Colt Model 1911 'Black Army' pistol.

Read More Show Less
Acting White House Chief of Staff Mick Mulvaney takes questions during a news briefing at the White House in Washington, U.S., October 17, 2019. (Reuters/Leah Millis)

WASHINGTON (Reuters) - President Donald Trump's withholding of $391 million in military aid to Ukraine was linked to his request that the Ukrainians look into a claim — debunked as a conspiracy theory — about the 2016 U.S. election, a senior presidential aide said on Thursday, the first time the White House acknowledged such a connection.

Trump and administration officials had denied for weeks that they had demanded a "quid pro quo" - a Latin phrase meaning a favor for a favor - for delivering the U.S. aid, a key part of a controversy that has triggered an impeachment inquiry in the House of Representatives against the Republican president.

But Mick Mulvaney, acting White House chief of staff, acknowledged in a briefing with reporters that the U.S. aid — already approved by Congress — was held up partly over Trump's concerns about a Democratic National Committee (DNC) computer server alleged to be in Ukraine.

"I have news for everybody: Get over it. There is going to be political influence in foreign policy," Mulvaney said.

Read More Show Less

Former Defense Secretary James Mattis decided to take on President Donald Trump's reported assertion that he is "overrated" at the Alfred E. Smith Memorial Foundation Dinner in New York City on Thursday.

"I'm not just an overrated general, I am the greatest — the world's most — overrated," Mattis said at the event, which raises money for charity.

"I'm honored to be considered that by Donald Trump because he also called Meryl Streep an overrated actress," Mattis said. "So I guess I'm the Meryl Streep of generals ... and frankly that sounds pretty good to me. And you do have to admit that between me and Meryl, at least we've had some victories."

Read More Show Less