No, US service members aren't hauling beer as part of their Hurricane Dorian relief mission

Mandatory Fun
That isn't what you think it is. (Facebook/UH-60 Black Hawk Drivers)

Hurricane relief work may be thirsty work, but the men and women of the United States's uniformed services aren't hauling beer alongside disaster assistance.


Last week, the Coast Guard and U.S. Customs and Border Patrol deployed six MH-60 Jayhawk and two UH-60 Black Hawk helicopters to airlift nearly 300 residents to safety as part of the U.S. military's assistance to the Bahamas in the aftermath of Hurricane Dorian.

The joint effort was focused on "life-saving and life-sustaining operations" in the immediate aftermath of Dorian, as one CBP official put it. But according to one eagle-eyed observer watching the news coverage at home, it also included at least one conspicuous-looking case of "essential supplies":

Don't worry, though: According to the Coast Guard, that's just water. No, not Coors Light ... actual water.

"It is not beer," Petty Officer Hunter Medley, a spokesman for the Coast Guard's 7th District, told Task & Purpose. "MillerCoors sends/donates cans of water for relief efforts during hurricane and disaster responses."

It's true! On Tuesday, Florida Gov. Ron DeSantis announced that MillerCoors will donate 50,000 12-ounce cans of water to hurricane victims in the Bahamas in coordination with the Florida Beverage Association.

MillerCoors had previously donated 200,000 cans of water in September 2018 to disaster-relief organizations in the Carolinas in the aftermath of Hurricane Florence. In 2017, the company donated 50,000 cans to communities hit by Hurricane Harvey.

MillerCoors and officials from CBP's 7th District did not respond to requests for comment. You can leave your "Coors-is-basically-water" jokes in the comment section below.

(U.S. Air National Guard)

An airman based out of New York has died during a deployment to Antarctica with his Air National Guard unit.

Read More
U.S. Secretary of Defense Mark Esper speaks during a joint news conference with Japan's Defense Minister Taro Kono at the Pentagon in Washington, U.S., January 14, 2020. (REUTERS/Joshua Roberts)

MIAMI (Reuters) - U.S. Defense Secretary Mark Esper suggested on Thursday he could be ready to start a highly anticipated global force repositioning this year as part of an effort to refocus the Pentagon on challenges from China and Russia.

Esper said he did not want to put a firm timeline on the completion of his so-called "defense-wide review," which is expected to trigger those troop movements.

"If I had to put an end-date (on the review), I want to make sure we are in some type of better posture by the beginning of the next fiscal year," Esper told reporters, referring to the government's calendar year for spending, which begins on Oct. 1. "So I want to move fairly quickly."

Read More

Editor's Note: This article originally appeared on Radio Free Europe/Radio Free Liberty.

A trial for a German-Afghan national suspected of spying for Iranian intelligence is set to commence on January 20 in the city of Koblenz in Germany.

Identified as Abdul Hamid S. according to Germany privacy laws, the 51-year-old former interpreter and adviser for the German armed forces, or Bundeswehr, was arrested a year ago in the Rhineland region of western Germany and accused of providing information to Iranian intelligence for many years.

Read More
Supporters of Iraqi Shi'ite cleric Moqtada al-Sadr carry placards depicting U.S. President Donald Trump at a protest against what they say is U.S. presence and violations in Iraq, duri in Baghdad, Iraq January 24, 2020. (REUTERS/Alaa al-Marjani)

BAGHDAD (Reuters) - Tens of thousands of Iraqis rallied in central Baghdad on Friday calling for the expulsion of U.S. troops, but the protest mostly dissipated after a few hours despite fears of violence following a cleric's call for a "million strong" turnout.

Populist cleric Moqtada al-Sadr convened the march after the U.S. killing of an Iranian general and an Iraqi paramilitary chief in Baghdad this month. His eventual decision to hold it away from a separate anti-government protest camp, and away from the U.S. embassy, looked pivotal in keeping the march peaceful.

Read More
World War II veteran and Purple Heart recipient Maj. Bill White, who at 104 is believed to be the oldest living Marine, has received a remarkable outpouring of cards and support from around the world after asking the public for Valentine's Day cards. "It hit me like a ton of bricks. I still can't get over it," he said. (CLIFFORD OTO/THE RECORD)

STOCKTON — Diane Wright opened the door of an apartment at The Oaks at Inglewood, the assisted care facility in Stockton where she is the executive director. Inside, three people busily went through postal trays crammed with envelopes near a table heaped with handmade gifts, military memorabilia, blankets, quilts, candy and the like.

Operation Valentine has generated a remarkable outpouring of support from around the world for retired United States Marine, Maj. Bill White. Earlier this month, a resident at The Oaks, Tony Walker, posted a request on social media to send Valentine's Day cards to the 104-year-old World War II veteran and recipient of the Purple Heart.

Walker believed Maj. White would enjoy adding the cards to his collection of memorabilia. The response has been greater than anyone ever thought possible.

Read More