I Never Saw Combat As A Marine In Afghanistan, And I'm Okay With That

Marine Corps Photo by Sgt. Tammy K. Hineline

The most bored I’ve ever been in my life was as a Marine in Helmand province, Afghanistan.

It was 2009 and I was a POG assigned to a POG unit. Operating satellite communications terminals and administering computer networks was my specialty. Nerdy, I know. This meant a lot of sitting and waiting. As long as the equipment was functioning, my duty was fulfilled. When one of the satellite terminal’s green lights began to blink orange or — gulp — turned red, that meant somebody couldn’t connect to somebody else, and my work began.

At least I wasn’t alone in this boredom, for the most part. My friends were right there. We could talk for hours about nothing, an acquired skill. We had cigarette-rolling contests. We became experts in shooting the shit. Then, our shifts ended and we had free time. More of it.

Air Force photo by Senior Airman Chris Willis

Airman 1st Class Lee Borytsky, 455th Expeditionary Security Forces Squadron defender, radios in the guard tower post briefing at Bagram Air Field, Afghanistan, Jan. 10, 2013.

When we talk about war, we tend to focus on the gritty stuff: The guts. The glory. The kill-or-be-killed moments you see in Hollywood blockbusters like “Saving Private Ryan” and “Starship Troopers.” But, in reality, for hundreds of thousands of American service members who’ve deployed to Iraq and Afghanistan over the years, my experience in Helmand will feel more relatable than what Tom Hanks endured. Only about 10% of veterans participated in direct combat in those wars. For the rest of us, monotony was the main enemy.

I arrived in Helmand just as the shit was really hitting the fan. There was a troop surge. Afghan elections were happening that year. I wanted desperately to get off the base and get a piece of the action I was promised by my drill instructors and combat trainers. Let me see Afghanistan. Let me see some shit. I didn’t join the Marine Corps, of all branches, to sit in a room staring at blinky lights and regretting my MOS.

Army photo

A guard tower on Combat Outpost Dand Patan faces the Pakistan border, ensuring security for residents of the COP.

Then my opportunity arrived. Or at least I thought it did.

Related: 9 Photos Of Afghanistan In 2007 Through The Eyes OF One Marine »

It began when a higher-up at the base defense operations center told his boss that he needed some bodies from base-dwelling units to man some guard posts. Many units released several Marines, two months at a time, to go fulfill this duty. I was one of the lucky few. Finally, I would get to be a Marine Marine.

So, off I went to the BDOC. Show time: 0230. AM. In the morning. My shift ran from 0400 to 1600. I remembered the inhuman feats of John Basilone at Guadalcanal and prepped myself to be a battle legend.

Air Force photo by Senior Airman Chris Willis

Airman 1st Class Lee Borytsky, 455th Expeditionary Security Forces Squadron defender, scans the perimeter around his guard tower on Bagram Air Field, Afghanistan, Jan. 10, 2013.

I was assigned to the forward ammunition supply point located at one of the corners of Camp Leatherneck. It was a square mile surrounded by 10-foot berms and a perimeter of concertina wire. There were eight posts surrounding the FASP, but manpower was limited, so we only had five people covering three posts. Great, I thought. Now we’re gonna get overrun by Taliban.

Of the five of us manning posts at the FASP, I was the senior man as a corporal. This meant that more often than not, I was alone for my 12 hours on post while the lance corporals and private first classes teamed up.

I was excited about my duty and my Mk19 grenade launcher. This was my post. I had a weapon that fired up to 425 grenades per minute at a maximum effective range of 1,500 meters. Those Taliban guys better not fuck with me, or they’ll feel the full wrath of a trained killer with a grenade launcher and an M16A4.

But they never came.

Marine Corps Photo by Sgt. Tammy K. Hineline

U.S. Marines with the Provincial Police Advisory Team and Afghan National Army soldiers stand watch in a guard tower at Main Operating Base Lashkar Gah, Afghanistan, April 18, 2013.

This left me with very little to do. Prohibited activities on post included, but were not limited to: reading books/magazines/letters, listening to music, sitting down, removing protective gear, leaving post (did they really expect me not to shit for piss for 12 hours?), or anything else that may obstruct my ability to challenge and engage potential enemies near my post.

Being on the ammo supply center, there was also no smoking. An ember from a cigarette could apparently be taken by the wind, travel over a hundred meters to the nearest cache of bombs, disengage the safeties, and blow up the world. Overzealous as it was, I kind of understood the rule, but as a hardcore cigarette addict, I was bitter. So I smoked anyway.

As the days and weeks dragged by, my 12-hour shifts seemed to get longer. But something unexpected also happened: I began to enjoy it. My whole life I had relied on media and the company of others to keep me entertained. Now, this gruesomely uneventful post was teaching me how to just exist on my own. Combat wasn’t in the cards, but I found that I could stimulate my mind in other ways: By appreciating the sunrise I saw every day, or by vigilantly performing my duty of scouring the desert, or by imagining what home would feel like. And every day my ability to cope with the boredom improved.  

The flies, for example. Those little bastards were rampant. They walked on my food, my face, and seemed to exist purely to bother me. Luckily, I had a flyswatter. One day, I killed 134 of them between sunrise and the end of my post at 1600. The flyswatter broke that day. So I used my glove. Adapt and overcome.

Army photo by Staff Sgt. Shane Hamann

FORWARD OPERATING BASE SPIN BOLDAK, Afghanistan –Spc. Andrew J. Torres, from Corpus Christi, Texas, with Alpha Battery, 2nd Battalion, 12th Field Artillery Regiment, works a guard tower May 3 at a checkpoint in Takhteh Pol district, Kandahar province, Afghanistan.

It wasn’t always just me and the flies, though. Several times a day, the sergeant of the guard would stop by my post to check up on me. I always knew it was him, but I had to formally challenge him anyway. The challenge and password were different every day. I asked him a predetermined question, and he gave me a predetermined response. He was cool enough, and brought me hot breakfast when he could. His arrival also meant I could hit the port-a-shitter, so that was nice.

Then there were the challenges I created for myself, which grew more ambitious as time trudged on. For those of you who haven’t been to a desert like the one in Helmand, moon dust is a type of sand with the consistency of powder. So I endeavored to leave the perfect boot print in the moon dust, as the stuff holds shape pretty well. The mission took me four hours, but I succeeded, damn it. I felt a true sense of accomplishment.

I’m not exaggerating. Believe it or not, of all my life experiences, I count my deployment to Afghanistan among the most rewarding. Sure, I didn’t become a battle legend. I didn’t earn a Silver Star or rise to the likes of Carlos Hathcock or Dan Daley. And I'm okay with that. Because when I look back at it now, I see a period of personal growth that could’ve only occurred there and under those circumstances. I can say that I never knew what real boredom was until I deployed to Afghanistan. But I can also say that until that deployment I never really knew who I was, either.

The San Antonio-class amphibious transport dock ship USS Arlington. (U.S. Navy/Mass Communication Specialist 3rd Class Chris Roys)

The Navy is investigating reports that a female Marine discovered a hidden camera in one of the women's restrooms aboard the USS Arlington, an amphibious transport dock that's currently on at port in Greece, NBC News originally reported.

Read More Show Less
The sun sets behind a C-17 Globemaster III at Joint Base Balad, Iraq, as Soldiers wait in line to board Nov. 17, 2008. (Air Force/Tech Sgt. Erik Gudmundson)

Today, an American service member died in a "non-combat incident" in Ninawa Province, Iraq according to a statement by Operation Inherent Resolve, the U.S.-led coalition fighting the Islamic State.

Read More Show Less

First came the explosion. Then, the cover-up.

"I held one [sailor] in my hands as he passed. He died in my arms."

USS Iowa on April 19, 1989. (Wikipedia Commons)

It's been 30 years since an explosion inside the number two gun turret on the USS Iowa killed 47 American sailors, but for Mike Carr, it still feels like yesterday.

"I knew all 47 guys inside that turret because as part of the ship's policy we had rotated between all three turrets," Carr, who served as a gunner's mate in the Iowa's aft 16-inch turret, told Task & Purpose. "We all knew each other rather intimately."

On April 19, 1989, the day of the blast, the ship was preparing for live-fire training at Vieques, Puerto Rico Naval Training Range.

Carr was wearing headphones that allowed him to hear what the crews in the other turrets were saying.

"At 10 minutes to 10 a.m., somebody came over the phones and said, 'We're having a problem, Turret 2, center gun,'" Carr recalled. "Then approximately two minutes later, I recognized Senior Chief [Reginald] Ziegler, who was the chief in charge of Turret 2, yell into the phones: 'Fire, fire, fire! Fire in center gun, turret 2. Trying to contain it.'"

Then came the blast, which was so strong that it ripped the headphones right off Carr's head.

Read More Show Less

Barracks to business: Hiring veterans has never been easier

Organizations offer training, certifications, networking to connect veterans, businesses

Jason Sutton

As a graduate of the U.S. Military Academy at West Point and a newly minted second lieutenant, I felt well-prepared to tackle the challenges facing a junior field artillery officer in the U.S. Army. When the time came to leave the Army, however, I was much less prepared to make the transition into the yet-unknown civilian sector.

One of the primary issues facing veterans after we transition is that we lack the same sense of purpose and mission that we had with our military careers. Today, more than ever, our service members volunteer to put themselves in harm's way. They are defending our freedom across the globe and should be recognized as our country's true heroes. It's critical that employers educate veterans and provide viable options so we can make informed decisions about the rest of our lives.

Read More Show Less
Maj. Gen. David Furness

The two-star general in charge of the roughly 15,000-strong 2nd Marine Division has turned micromanagement into an art form with a new policy letter ordering his Marines and sailors to cut their hair, shave their faces, and adhere to a daily schedule that he has prescribed.

In his "Policy Letter 5-19," Maj. Gen. David Furness lamented that he has noticed "a significant decline in the basic discipline" of troops he's come in contact with in the division area, which has led him to "FIX IT immediately," instead of relying on the thousands of commissioned and non-commissioned officers below him to carry out his orders.

Read More Show Less