Get Task & Purpose in your inbox
IG Says Base Housing Is Just As Bad As You Thought
Service members and their families are exposed to health and safety hazards at base housing worldwide that could be alleviated by inspections and better maintenance, the Defense Department’s Inspector General said in a recent report.
Inspectors found an average of two to three electrical and fire prevention deficiencies per building among the housing it inspected from 2013–16 in six places: the Washington, D.C. region, the U.S. Southeast, South Korea, Japan, Afghanistan and Jordan.
In multiple cases, inspectors found high levels of radon gas, which is the second-leading cause of lung cancer in the U.S., according to the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention. Other inspections found excessive mold, which can cause respiratory illnesses.
The October report found “systemic weaknesses” in DOD policy, which requires periodic building inspections.
“However, none of these inspections comprehensively examine the effectiveness of facility sustainment processes with respect to the overall health and safety of occupants,” the report said.
Exposed wiring, faulty smoke detectors and ventilation issues were among the most pervasive problems found.
Among all areas inspected, radon exceeding government safety limits was most likely to be found on Okinawa.
In a Stars and Stripes article published last year, service members said they had difficulty going back to at least 2011 in either finding out if their homes exceeded radon standards, or in getting the problems fixed.
Air Force officials on Okinawa said that by last year, homes requiring radon mitigation received service in an average of 442 days.
The IG reports found 145 deficiencies deemed critical at 15 installations inspected in Japan. At 13 South Korean installations, inspectors found 15 critical problems.
Meanwhile, the inspection at a single facility in Jordan found 77 critical deficiencies.
The IG recommended that DOD hire independent inspectors to review facilities at least twice annually. Military bases should also conduct inspections after completing, renovating or performing maintenance work on buildings.
DOD should prioritize hiring qualified inspectors, which the IG cited as a particular problem during its 2013 inspection of two housing areas in Afghanistan.
“We believe that the majority of deficiencies identified in our previous reports could have been avoided,” the report said.
The Army has agreed to the IG’s recommendation and said it would develop a plan within six months. The Department of the Navy also agreed and said it would issue new guidance by Oct. 31.
The Air Force agreed but did not say when or how it would implement IG’s recommendation.
© 2016 the Stars and Stripes. Distributed by Tribune Content Agency, LLC.
A massive billing glitch in Tricare's East region, managed by Humana, on Thursday slammed about 25,000 beneficiaries with premium charges 100 times more than they owe monthly for their coverage.
A Minnesota Army National Guard UH-60 Black Hawk helicopter with three Guardsmen aboard crashed south of St. Cloud on Thursday, said National Guard spokeswoman Army Master Sgt. Blair Heusdens.
At this time, the National Guard is not releasing any information about the status of the three people aboard the helicopter, Heusdens told Task & Purpose on Thursday.
A missing Canadian ex-soldier was reportedly smuggled across the US border and is hiding with a neo-Nazi group
Editor's Note: This article originally appeared on Business Insider.
Former Canadian Army Reserve Master Cpl. Patrik Mathews, 26, was first identified as a member of The Base by Winnipeg Free Press reporter Ryan Thorpe.
Days after Thorpe's report was published, Mathews went missing and was discharged from the military for his alleged ties to the group. His car was found about 10 miles from the U.S. border soon thereafter, and police found a cache of weapons when they raided his home.
Vice reporters Ben Makuch, Mack Lamoureux, and Zachary Kamel, citing confidential sources, reported on Thursday that Mathews had been illegally smuggled across the border and is being hidden by members of The Base, which has operated in encrypted chatrooms as a largely online organization.
The Pentagon's latest attempt to twist itself in knots to deny that it is considering sending up to 14,000 troops to the Middle East has a big caveat.
Pentagon spokeswoman Alyssa Farah said there are no plans to send that many troops to the region "at this time."
Farah's statement does not rule out the possibility that the Defense Department could initially announce a smaller deployment to the region and subsequently announce that more troops are headed downrange.
The Navy could deploy a second carrier to the Middle East if Trump orders an Iran surge, top admiral says
The Navy could send a second aircraft carrier to the Middle East if President Donald Trump orders a surge of forces to the region, Chief of Naval Operations Adm. Mike Gilday said on Thursday.
Gordon Lubold and Nancy Youssef of the Wall Street Journal first reported the United States is considering sending up to 14,000 troops to the Middle East to deter Iran from attacking U.S. forces and regional allies. The surge forces could include several ships.