Trial Set For Army Sergeant Charged With Aiding ISIS

news
Screenshot KGMB-TV

A federal judge on July 24 scheduled a trial date in September for Wheeler Army Airfield soldier Ikaika Kang on four counts of trying to provide support to ISIS.


Defense lawyer Birney Bervar entered not-guilty pleas to all four charges on Kang’s behalf, and U.S. Magistrate Judge Kenneth J. Mansfield set the Sept. 19 trial date.

Mansfield accepted the not-guilty pleas after Kang, 34, of Waimanalo, said he understood the charges against him.

U.S. District Senior Judge Susan Oki Mollway will preside over the trial, which will likely occur later than September because of anticipated delays.

Bervar has said that he believes Kang suffers from mental illness and intends to have him evaluated by a mental health expert. Either side can be given more time to prepare by Mollway if she determines it’s warranted due to the case’s complexity.

Sgt. 1st Class Kang, an air traffic controller, is charged with four counts of attempting to provide material support or resources to a designated foreign terrorist organization. Each charge carries a maximum penalty of 20 years in prison.

Two of the charges accuse Kang of trying to give ISIS military documents, some of them classified. Another charge accuses Kang of trying to give ISIS military gear, including tactical equipment and ammunition, and a GoPro Karma, a consumer camera-equipped drone. The last charge accuses Kang of making a training video for ISIS of weaponry, firearms and hand-to-hand combat techniques.

Kang remains in custody at the Federal Detention Center after agreeing to the government’s request to deny him the opportunity for release on bail or bond. In its request, the government provided photographs of what it says is Kang pledging his allegiance to ISIS, kissing and embracing the Islamic State flag, and teaching combat techniques and firearm tactics to an undercover FBI agent posing as an Islamic State fighter.

The FBI has said that it had been monitoring Kang for the past year and that people Kang thought were connected to ISIS were undercover agents.

The U.S. attorney in Hawaii is prosecuting the case with help from the U.S. Department of Justice’s Counterterrorism Section.

———

©2017 The Honolulu Star-Advertiser. Distributed by Tribune Content Agency, LLC.

WATCH NEXT: 

U.S. soldiers surveil the area during a combined joint patrol in Manbij, Syria, November 1, 2018. Picture taken November 1, 2018. (U.S. Army/Zoe Garbarino/Handout via Reuters)

WASHINGTON (Reuters) - The United States will leave "a small peacekeeping group" of 200 American troops in Syria for a period of time after a U.S. pullout, the White House said on Thursday, as President Donald Trump pulled back from a complete withdrawal.

Read More Show Less
Construction crews staged material needed for the Santa Teresa Border Wall Replacement project near the Santa Teresa Port of Entry. (U.S. Customs and Border Patrol/Mani Albrecht)

With a legal fight challenge mounting from state governments over the Trump administration's use of a national emergency to construct at the U.S.-Mexico border, the president has kicked his push for the barrier into high gear.

On Wednesday, President Trump tweeted a time-lapse video of wall construction in New Mexico; the next day, he proclaimed that "THE WALL IS UNDER CONSTRUCTION RIGHT NOW"

But there's a big problem: The footage, which was filmed more than five months ago on Sep. 18, 2018, isn't really new wall construction at all, and certainly not part of the ongoing construction of "the wall" that Trump has been haggling with Congress over.

Read More Show Less
(From left to right) Chris Osman, Chris McKinley, Kent Kroeker, and Talon Burton

A group comprised of former U.S. military veterans and security contractors who were detained in Haiti on weapons charges has been brought back to the United States and arrested upon landing, The Miami-Herald reported.

The men — five Americans, two Serbs, and one Haitian — were stopped at a Port-au-Prince police checkpoint on Sunday while riding in two vehicles without license plates, according to police. When questioned, the heavily-armed men allegedly told police they were on a "government mission" before being taken into custody.

Read More Show Less
Army Sgt. Jeremy Seals died on Oct. 31, 2018, following a protracted battle with stomach cancer. His widow, Cheryl Seals is mounting a lawsuit alleging that military care providers missed her husband's cancer. Task & Purpose photo illustration by Aaron Provost

The widow of a soldier whose stomach cancer was allegedly overlooked by Army doctors for four years is mounting a medical malpractice lawsuit against the military, but due to a decades-old legal rule known as the Feres Doctrine, her case will likely be dismissed before it ever goes to trial.

Read More Show Less
The first grenade core was accidentally discovered on Nov. 28, 2018, by Virginia Department of Historic Resources staff examining relics recovered from the Betsy, a British ship scuttled during the last major battle of the Revolutionary War. The grenade's iron jacket had dissolved, but its core of black powder remained potent. Within a month or so, more than two dozen were found. (Virginia Department of Historic Resources via The Virginian-Pilot)

In an uh-oh episode of historic proportions, hand grenades from the last major battle of the Revolutionary War recently and repeatedly scrambled bomb squads in Virginia's capital city.

Wait – they had hand grenades in the Revolutionary War? Indeed. Hollow iron balls, filled with black powder, outfitted with a fuse, then lit and thrown.

And more than two dozen have been sitting in cardboard boxes at the Department of Historic Resources, undetected for 30 years.

Read More Show Less