Did An Ill-Advised Stand-Down Order Cost Lives In Orlando?

news

Officer Brandon Cornwell of the Belle Isle, Florida, police department was conducting a traffic stop in a suburb of Orlando on June 12 at 2 a.m. when a call came out on his radio reporting shots fired at the Pulse nightclub in Orlando. The club was a straight shot from Cornwell’s location — after hitting every green light along the way, he was able to make it to the scene within 38 seconds, he revealed in an interview with the Washington Post.


Cornwell, a 25-year-old Iraq veteran and former National Guardsman, was one of the first responders to arrive on scene, and reveals the initial courageous response of officers reacting to the terror attack that left 49 dead, 53 wounded, and a nation stunned. He spoke with The Washington Post’s Stephanie McCrummen at Belle Isle’s City Hall in the presence of  his police chief who occasionally interrupted to stop Cornwell from offering too much detail.

Cornwell described arriving on scene and arming himself with his police-issued assault rifle.

“There was tons of people running out of the club,” he told the Post. “I grabbed my assault rifle and ran toward the club. At this point the shooter is still actively shooting inside.”

Cornwell and five other officers broke a window and crawled into the dark club. He said they were inside Pulse within two minutes of arriving on scene.  He described the chaotic scene, “trying to locate exactly where the shooter was — we kept hearing people scream and shots fired.”

Related: This Marine Veteran Saved Dozens In Orlando Nightclub Shooting »

Cornwell and the group of officers followed the sounds of screaming and gunfire to the bathroom area, where they believed the shooter to be holed up. The team, tactically positioned behind a bar, aimed their rifles at the bathroom, and received orders to wait there.

“We just basically stayed there, waited for movement, and we just held our position until SWAT got there,” said Cornwell. “Once SWAT got there they told us to retreat, that they’d take over because we were not really in tactical gear — we were just in our police uniforms.” Cornwell estimates that it took 15 to 20 minutes, “maybe longer”  for the SWAT team to arrive.

In the aftermath of the shooting, experts have questioned whether that order to stand down was the best response to the crisis.

Chris Grollneck, a former police officer and expert on active-shooter response and domestic terrorist attacks, told Politico that in an active-shooter scenario, once two or more officers are on scene, they should go after the shooter. It’s called the Active Shooter response protocol, and it was developed after the shootings at Columbine High School in 1999.

“Being a policeman is a dangerous job. That’s why they give policemen guns. Everybody inside that club did not have a gun. When the police were ordered out, no one had a gun except the gunman.”

Orlando police have claimed that once the shooter, later identified as Omar Mateen, was inside the bathroom, they shifted from an active-shooter protocol to dealing with a barricaded person. Grollneck told Politico that justification doesn’t hold water. The shooter had already demonstrated his intent to kill, and SWAT would wind up having to go in and take him out, but it wouldn’t be until three hours after officers were poised to do that within minutes.

Mateen would later tell authorities via phone that he was armed with explosive devices, but Grollneck said even if police had that information when they ordered the stand-down, it shouldn’t have mattered.

“Let’s give them the benefit of the doubt. There’s reports the guy has a suicide vest or possible bombs. Now we know it’s a terrorist attack …” Grollneck said. “ ... do you not go in to give him time to activate the bomb that could kill 100,000 people outside? Or do you go in and take the chance immediately at the risk of 300 people?

“The leadership of the Orlando Police Department failed the people inside the club,” Grollneck said bluntly. “... this was risk-adversity by supervisors.”

AP Photo by David Goldman
(Courtesy of Jackie Melendrez)

Editor's Note: The following story highlights a veteran at Iron Mountain. Committed to including talented members of the military community in its workplace, Iron Mountain is a client of Hirepurpose, a Task & Purpose sister company. Learn more here.

Jackie Melendrez couldn't be prouder of her husband, her sons, and the fact that she works for the trucking company Iron Mountain. This regional router has been a Mountaineer since 2017, and says the support she receives as a military spouse and mother is unparalleled.

Read More Show Less
Photo: U.S. Army

Master Sgt. Larry Hawks, a retired engineer sergeant who served with 3rd Special Forces Group, is being awarded the Distinguished Service Cross on Friday for "valorous actions" in Afghanistan in 2005.

Read More Show Less

The Iranians just blasted one of the US military's most sophisticated and expensive drones out of the sky as tensions in the Strait of Hormuz reach the boiling point.

Read More Show Less
(Reuters/Lawrence Hurley)

WASHINGTON (Reuters) - A 40-foot-tall (12 meters) cross-shaped war memorial standing on public land in Maryland does not constitute government endorsement of religion, the Supreme Court ruled on Thursday in a decision that leaves unanswered questions about the boundaries of the U.S. Constitution's separation of church and state.

The justices were divided on many of the legal issues but the vote was 7-2 to overturn a lower court ruling that had declared the so-called Peace Cross in Bladensburg unconstitutional in a legal challenge mounted by the American Humanist Association, a group that advocates for secular governance. The concrete cross was erected in 1925 as a memorial to troops killed in World War One.

The ruling made it clear that a long-standing monument in the shape of a Christian cross on public land was permissible but the justices were divided over whether other types of religious displays and symbols on government property would be allowed. Those issues are likely to come before the court in future cases.

Read More Show Less
(Associated Press/Facebook)

A relative of the man who opened fire outside downtown Dallas' federal building this week warned the FBI in 2016 that he shouldn't be allowed to buy a gun because he was depressed and suicidal, his mother said Thursday.

Brian Clyde's half-brother called the FBI about his concerns, their mother Nubia Brede Solis said. Clyde was in the Army at the time.

On Monday, Clyde opened fire with an AR-15-style rifle at the Earle Cabell Federal Building. He was fatally shot by federal law enforcement. No one else was seriously injured. His family believes Clyde wanted to be killed.

Read More Show Less