'I'm gonna carve your (expletive) heart out' — Navy vet sentenced for racist threats to VA centers days after veterans home mass shooting

news
(DoD photo)

SAN FRANCISCO — Just days after a veteran receiving PTSD treatment walked into the Yountville Veterans Home with a rifle and opened fire, killing three women and taking his own life, threats started pouring in to other Veterans Assistance centers around the Bay Area.

In addition to threatening shootings, the calls and voice mails contained hundreds of racial, anti-semitic, and homophobic slurs. In recorded messages, the man told staffers he would "carve your (expletive) heart out," using slurs against African-Americans, Jewish people and others.

The caller threatened to show up at a VA center in the Bay Area armed with an assault rifle and randomly shoot people. For a while, workers at VA centers across the region were concerned that a Yountville copycat shooting could be around the corner, according to court records.


Eventually, the threats were traced back to a man named Ronald Joseph Lafaye, a U.S. Navy veteran who prosecutors say has a 20-year history — including multiple convictions — of threatening people. As prosecutors were bringing a federal case against Lafaye for the VA threats, there was a simultaneous state case against him for making threats to kill staffers at U.S. Rep. Jackie Speier's office, authorities say.

Last week, Lafaye was sentenced to two years and four months in prison for the VA threats. Combined with his state prison sentence, he will serve a total of 10 years. Last year, he was sentenced to seven years and eight months in state prison for the threats on Speier's staffers, court records show.

In a sentencing memo asking for 41 months, assistant U.S. Attorney Alexandra Shepard wrote that Lafaye had, "threatened a mass shooting, at a time when society can longer safely assume that these are idle threats." The threats were made in person and on the phone, Shepard wrote.

"He threatened to assault and kill three VA officials, threatened their children, spit in one of their faces, and cautioned them to practice their active shooter drills because he was going to come back to a VA facility with an assault rifle and kill people," Shepard wrote. "Lafaye's threats affected one of the victims enough that they declined to speak at the hearing or even submit a written Victim Impact Statement, out of concern that it would aggravate Lafaye even further."

Lafaye's attorney, assistant federal public defender Candis Mitchell, wrote that Lafaye was the product of a "horrific" childhood that included extreme levels of abuse. Mitchell said Lafaye's intent was to speak out on behalf of veterans who he felt were ignored or neglected by the VA system.

"These statements and his actions were not the actions of a rational man guided by rational thoughts—but rather reflect the sum totals of a lifetime of trauma coupled with an ill-conceived attempt to make the lives of others better," Mitchell wrote, adding that Lafaye has battled alcoholism since he was a teenager.

Mitchell also quoted a medical professional who wrote that Lafaye has a "delusional disorder," and included a brief statement from Lafaye where he admitted to sometimes having poor impulse control.

"I get on a roll, I can't shake it. All the inhibitions go because of my background. I have to retrain myself," Lafaye said, according to Mitchell's sentencing memo.

———

©2020 the Palo Alto Daily News (Menlo Park, Calif.). Distributed by Tribune Content Agency, LLC.

Army recruiters hold a swearing-in ceremony for over 40 of Arkansas' Future Soldiers at the Arkansas State Capital Building. (U.S. Army/Amber Osei)

Though the Army has yet to actually set an official recruiting goal for this year, leaders are confident they're going to bring in more soldiers than last year.

Maj. Gen. Frank Muth, head of Army Recruiting Command, told reporters on Wednesday that the Army was currently 2,226 contracts ahead of where it was in 2019.

"I will just tell you that this time last year we were in the red, and now we're in the green which is — the momentum's there and we see it continuing throughout the end of the year," Muth said, adding that the service hit recruiting numbers in February that haven't been hit during that month since 2014.

Read More
In this June 16, 2018 photo, Taliban fighters greet residents in the Surkhroad district of Nangarhar province, east of Kabul, Afghanistan, (AP Photo/Rahmat Gul)

KABUL/WASHINGTON/PESHAWAR, Pakistan (Reuters) - The United States and the Taliban will sign an agreement on Feb. 29 at the end of a week long period of violence reduction in Afghanistan, U.S. Secretary of State Mike Pompeo and the Taliban said on Friday.

Read More
A screen grab from a YouTube video shows Marines being arrested during formation at Camp Pendleton in July, 2019. (Screen capture)

Editor's Note: This article by Gina Harkins originally appeared on Military.com, a leading source of news for the military and veteran community.

Another Marine was hit with jail time and a bad-conduct discharge in connection with a slew of arrests made last summer over suspicions that members of a California-based infantry battalion were transporting people who'd crossed into the U.S. illegally.

Read More
A soldier reunites with his daughter at Fort Bragg, N.C. after returning from the Middle East. The 82nd Airborne Division's Immediate Response Force had been deployed since New Years Eve. Thursday, Feb. 20, 2020. (U.S. Army via Associated Press)

Some Fort Bragg paratroopers who left for the Middle East on a no-notice deployment last month came home Thursday.

About 3,500 soldiers with the 82nd Airborne Division's 1st Brigade Combat Team were sent to Kuwait beginning Jan. 1 as tensions were rising in the region. The first soldiers were in the air within 18 hours of being told to go.

Read More
A developmental, early variant of the Common Unmanned Surface Vehicle (CUSV) autonomously conducts maneuvers on the Elizabeth River during its demonstration during Citadel Shield-Solid Curtain 2020 at Naval Station Norfolk on Feb. 12, 2020. (U.S. Navy/Mass Communication Specialist 3rd Class Rebekah M. Rinckey)

Large cargo ships, small fishing boats and other watercraft sail safely past Naval Station Norfolk every day, but there's always a possibility that terrorists could use any one of them to attack the world's largest naval base.

While Navy security keeps a close eye on every vessel that passes, there's an inherent risk for the sailors aboard small patrol boats who are tasked with helping keep aircraft carriers, submarines and destroyers on base safe from waterborne attacks.

So the Navy experimented Wednesday to test whether an unmanned vessel could stop a small boat threatening the base from the Elizabeth River.

Read More