Is There A Mole In Trump’s West Wing?

news
Photo via Pixabay

White House officials leaking inside information is nothing new. They do it to push certain policies, to spin reporters, to sway public opinion, and sometimes just to gossip. Such off-the-record conversations happen every day — hence all the “senior government officials” quoted in news articles — and as often as not, the quotes come from the very top.


What leakers have tended not to do is tweet.

Nobody knows if the Twitter account @RoguePOTUSStaff is the real deal. Is there really already a secret cabal of Trump haters in the West Wing brazenly exposing the private deliberations of the new president and his senior staff to a national audience — risking not only their jobs and careers but years in prison?

Probably not. That would be nuts. Attempts by various reporters and Twitter users to persuade the culprits to identify themselves privately have so far failed.

Sedition or satire — or, as some have claimed, a disinformation campaign run by Steve Bannon himself — the account certainly makes for interesting reading. It portrays a president who is petulant, confused, and isolated, surrounded by scheming aides vying for power: On one side, chief strategist and senior counselor Bannon, and on the other, Vice President Mike Pence, Chief of Staff Reince Priebus, and House Speaker Paul Ryan. The latter group, which the account refers to as the “unholy trinity,” is portrayed as trying to contain the chief executive’s more wild impulses while laying the groundwork for a scenario in which Trump is impeached and Pence assumes office.

That’s assuming Priebus can hold out that long. According to the account, the chief of staff has been mostly outflanked by Bannon and is already considering resigning.

Remember, this is probably all fiction. Literally anyone can set up a Twitter account and claim anything they like. And indeed, at least some of the other rogue accounts that have sprung up in the wake of the 140-character insurrection by various present and former Park Service employees are thought to be the work of people who no longer work in government or perhaps never did.

But in an era when fake news is omnipresent, from Macedonian teenagers and 400-pound hackers to legit state-sponsored psyops, when all bets are off and nobody really knows anything for sure, the very possibility that it might be for real has been enough to win the account a large and loyal following of more than 300,000 users.

Of course, if @RoguePOTUSStaff is real, no amount of followers is likely keep these guys out of jail when their identities come to light.

A few of the account’s more eye-opening claims:

On POTUS

On the judge’s order blocking the immigration policy

On the Putin call

On adding Bannon to the National Security Council

On the California secession movement

On British Prime Minister Theresa May

On the wave of protests

On the possibility of assassination

US Marine Corps

The Marine lieutenant colonel who was removed from command of 1st Reconnaissance Battalion in May is accused of lying to investigators looking into allegations of misconduct, according to a copy of his charge sheet provided to Task & Purpose on Monday.

Read More Show Less

President Donald Trump just can't stop telling stories about former Defense Secretary James Mattis. This time, the president claims Mattis said U.S. troops were so perilously low on ammunition that it would be better to hold off launching a military operation.

"You know, when I came here, three years ago almost, Gen. Mattis told me, 'Sir, we're very low on ammunition,'" Trump recalled on Monday at the White House. "I said, 'That's a horrible thing to say.' I'm not blaming him. I'm not blaming anybody. But that's what he told me because we were in a position with a certain country, I won't say which one; we may have had conflict. And he said to me: 'Sir, if you could, delay it because we're very low on ammunition.'

"And I said: You know what, general, I never want to hear that again from another general," Trump continued. "No president should ever, ever hear that statement: 'We're low on ammunition.'"

Read More Show Less

At least one Air Force base is waging a slow battle against feral hogs — and way, way more than 30-50 of them.

A Texas trapper announced on Monday that his company had removed roughly 1,200 feral hogs from Joint Base San Antonio property at the behest of the service since 2016.

Read More Show Less

In a move that could see President Donald Trump set foot on North Korean soil again, Kim Jong Un has invited the U.S. leader to Pyongyang, a South Korean newspaper reported Monday, as the North's Foreign Ministry said it expected stalled nuclear talks to resume "in a few weeks."

A letter from Kim, the second Trump received from the North Korean leader last month, was passed to the U.S. president during the third week of August and came ahead of the North's launch of short-range projectiles on Sept. 10, the South's Joongang Ilbo newspaper reported, citing multiple people familiar with the matter.

In the letter, Kim expressed his willingness to meet the U.S. leader for another summit — a stance that echoed Trump's own remarks just days earlier.

Read More Show Less

Editor's Note: This article by Oriana Pawlyk originally appeared on Military.com, a leading source of news for the military and veteran community.

On April 14, 2018, two B-1B Lancer bombers fired off payloads of Joint Air-to-Surface Standoff Missiles against weapons storage plants in western Syria, part of a shock-and-awe response to Syrian President Bashar al-Assad's use of chemical weapons against his citizens that also included strikes from Navy destroyers and submarines.

In all, the two bombers fired 19 JASSMs, successfully eliminating their targets. But the moment would ultimately be one of the last — and certainly most publicized — strategic strikes for the aircraft before operations began to wind down for the entire fleet.

A few months after the Syria strike, Air Force Global Strike Command commander Gen. Tim Ray called the bombers back home. Ray had crunched the data, and determined the non-nuclear B-1 was pushing its capabilities limit. Between 2006 and 2016, the B-1 was the sole bomber tasked continuously in the Middle East. The assignment was spread over three Lancer squadrons that spent one year at home, then six month deployed — back and forth for a decade.

The constant deployments broke the B-1 fleet. It's no longer a question of if, but when the Air Force and Congress will send the aircraft to the Boneyard. But Air Force officials are still arguing the B-1 has value to offer, especially since it's all the service really has until newer bombers hit the flight line in the mid-2020s.

Read More Show Less