Reports That ISIS Has Been Destroyed May Be Greatly Exaggerated

Analysis

There’s math and then there’s military math. Take counting enemy troops, for example. Say you add up the number of nostrils between them and then divide that number by two. Is that a reliable method? Certainly not, because commanders have a toolbox of tricks to conceal the true size of their forces.


In August 2017, U.S. defense officials announced that the Pentagon had been undercounting the number of U.S. troops in Afghanistan by not including thousands of service members on temporary assignments to the country. The practice was inherited from the Obama administration, which was fixated on keeping troop levels low to give the impression that all was right with the world. (It was this strategy that allowed the Democrats to gain the upper hand in the 2016 election.)

And the fun with numbers has continued. The most recent game: figuring out how many Islamic State fighters have survived the Trump administration’s anti-ISIS annihilation strategy. Let’s play!

A recent United Nations report estimates that between 20,000 and 30,000 ISIS fighters could remain in both Iraq and Syria, while a Defense Department Inspector General’s office report includes a Pentagon estimate that puts the numbers of fighters still in Iraq alone at between 15,000 and 17,100. Seems plausible enough, right? Not so fast.

First, it’s important to note that the U.S.-led coalition only provides numbers for how many ISIS fighters are still fighting – not the overall size of the terrorist group, according to Army Col. Sean Ryan, a spokesman for Operation Inherent Resolve.“To pinpoint an exact figure would be nearly impossible for any organization,” he told T&P.;

As Muqtada al Sadr’s semi-Semitic doppelganger, your humble Pentagon correspondent was somewhat alarmed to hear that ISIS could still field so many terrorists after four years of nonstop attacks by the U.S.-led coalition, Iraqi security forces, Iranian-backed Shiite militias, and Syrian Democratic Forces. There’s also the fact that the 30,000 figure has been used consistently by the Pentagon since 2014 to describe either the size of ISIS as a whole or the number of foreign fighters in ISIS’ ranks alone.

This could mean one of two things: either ISIS can regenerate fighters like Cylons in ‘“Battlestar Galactica,”or the Pentagon’s mathematicians put a decimal point in the wrong place.

Responding to a question from yours truly at an Aug. 14 news conference, British Maj. Gen. Felix Gedney, the anti-ISIS coalition’s deputy commander for strategy and support,  expressed skepticism about the figures cited in the UN report.

“That number seems a little bit high, and I think we'd need to look at the methodology and the data on which that estimation is based,” Gedney, said.

Gedney refused to provide an alternative estimate of how many ISIS fighters are still in Iraq and Syria. He would only repeat the coalition’s talking point for the past several months: Over 1,000 ISIS fighters remain in the Middle Euphrates River Valley.

Before we go any further, let’s pause for a minute to reflect on how important such numbers actually are. No one was more focused on quantitative data than former Defense Secretary Robert McNamara, whose inspired leadership during the Vietnam War contributed greatly to the communists’ victory in April 1975. The enduring lesson of McNamara’s tenure is that war is not Moneyball; The side with the analytical model does not always win.

That said, the widely varying estimates for how many ISIS fighters are still alive could indicate that the movement has decided to go underground rather than fight to the death.

Retired Army Gen. David Petraeus, who led the 2007-2008 surge in Iraq, saw this coming.

“I have predicted for over two years that as the ISIS ‘army,’ which established the caliphate in Syria and Iraq, neared defeat, many of its surviving fighters would shift to insurgent and terrorist campaigns,” Petraeus told T&P.; “This appears to have been taking place for a number of months, even as the effort to finish the defeat of ISIS elements approaches its final stages.”

“The changes being made by ISIS remnants are requiring a shift in focus for the elements that coalition forces have been supporting - the Iraqi Security Forces and the Syrian Defense Forces – and for the coalition force advisors, intelligence elements, and air assets,” he added.

Meanwhile, an Iraqi government official told T&P; that, even though ISIS has lost all of its territories in Iraq and no longer poses an existential threat to the country, the terrorist group remains dangerous and security forces are focused on eliminating the remaining fighters.

The U.S.-led coalition also understands that military action alone will not defeat ISIS, so it is “helping set the stage for stabilization to occur,” Col. Ryan said. “It is a long road, but we are seeing progress, a lot of improvements, and despite the ongoing fight, it is very encouraging,” he said.

But it’s worth remembering that the insurgency in Colombia lasted for more than 50 years. Meanwhile, the Taliban was soundly defeated in 2001, and 17 years later it is holding a knife against the Afghan government’s throat. So it is likely the ISIS insurgency will outlive most of us. As insurgents like to say, “You have the watches. We have the time.”

Jeff Schogol covers the Pentagon for Task & Purpose. He has covered the military for 13 years and embedded with U.S. troops in Iraq and Haiti. Prior to joining T&P;, he covered the Marine Corps and Air Force at Military Times. Comments or thoughts to share? Send them to Jeff Schogol via email at schogol@taskandpurpose.com or direct message @JeffSchogol on Twitter.

WATCH NEXT:

Associated Press photo
(Reuters/Kevin Lamarque)

SEOUL (Reuters) - The United States looks set to break a promise not to hold military exercises with South Korea, putting talks aimed at getting North Korea to abandon its nuclear weapons at risk, the North Korean Foreign Ministry said on Tuesday.

The United States' pattern of "unilaterally reneging on its commitments" is leading Pyongyang to reconsider its own commitments to discontinue tests of nuclear weapons and intercontinental ballistic missiles (ICBMs), the ministry said in a pair of statements released through state news agency KCNA.

Read More Show Less
(Courtesy of Roman Sabal)

A deported Marine Corps veteran who has been unable to come back to the U.S. for more than a decade was denied entry to the country Monday morning when he asked to be let in for a scheduled citizenship interview.

Roman Sabal, 58, originally from Belize, came to the San Ysidro Port of Entry around 7:30 on Monday morning with an attorney to ask for "parole" to attend his naturalization interview scheduled for a little before noon in downtown San Diego. Border officials have the authority to temporarily allow people into the country on parole for "humanitarian or significant public benefit" reasons.

Read More Show Less
Jeff Schogol

Navy Secretary Richard Spencer took the reins at the Pentagon on Monday, becoming the third acting defense secretary since January.

Spencer is expected to temporarily lead the Pentagon while the Senate considers Army Secretary Mark Esper's nomination to succeed James Mattis as defense secretary. The Senate officially received Esper's nomination on Monday.

Read More Show Less

U.S. Special Operations Command may be on the verge of making the dream of flying infantry soldiers a reality, but the French may very well beat them to it.

On Sunday, French President Emmanuel Macron shared an unusual video showing a man on a flying platform — widely characterized as a "hoverboard" — maneuvering through the skies above the Bastille Day celebrations in Paris armed with what appears to be a dummy firearm.

The video was accompanied with a simple message of "Fier de notre armée, moderne et innovante," which translates to "proud of our army, modern and innovative," suggesting that the French Armed Forces may be eyeing the unusual vehicle for potential military applications.

Read More Show Less
(New Jersey National Guard photo by Mark C. Olsen)

If you've ever wondered if the Pentagon has ever exposed the American public to ticks infected with biological weapons, you're not alone.

Rep. Christopher Smith (R-N.J.) authored an amendment to the House version of the Fiscal 2020 National Defense Authorization Act would require the Defense Department Inspector General's Office to find out if the U.S. military experimented with using ticks and other insects as biological weapons between 1950 and 1975.

If such experiments took place, the amendment would require the inspector general's office to tell lawmakers if any of the ticks or other bugs "were released outside of any laboratory by accident or experiment design."

Read More Show Less