Get Task & Purpose in your inbox
ISIS Just Moved Into Osama Bin Laden's Infamous Afghan Stronghold Of Tora Bora
ISIS militants in Afghanistan have apparently been undeterred by the 'Mother of All Bombs' that the U.S. dropped on them in April.
ISIS-Khorasan, or ISIS-K, the Islamic State's force in Afghanistan, seized the network of caves known as Tora Bora from the Taliban on June 14, the New York Times reported, citing local Afghan officials and residents.
Tora Bora, which is located in Afghanistan's Nangarhar province, was Osama bin Laden's hideout until December 2001, when he narrowly escaped a botched US bombing campaign.
ISIS-K turned their sights on Tora Bora after the U.S. hit their previous hideout with the MOAB, Hazrat Ali, a member of the Afghan Parliament, told the Times.
Ali told the Guardian that "hundreds of ISIS fighters attacked Taliban militants in Tora Bora," killing 12 Taliban fighters.
“ISIS has captured Tora Bora and areas around it,” a local Afghan police official told the Times. “The tribal elders are here in my office. They all escaped the area last night.”
One tribal elder, Juma Gul, told the Times that “the Taliban escaped from the area last night and left us to ISIS with our women and children ... there was no resistance by the Taliban against ISIS, and local tribes had no way to fight them anymore, so we just escaped.”
ISIS began their assault on Tora Bora late Tuesday, Attahullah Khogyani, a spokesman in Nangarhar, told The Guardian, and had taken many areas around it. But he contradicted others sources in saying that bin Laden's old hideout had not yet been captured.
A Taliban spokesman also told the Times that ISIS had not captured Tora Bora, and that fighting was still underway.
In August 2016, ISIS-K and the Taliban had reportedly forged a tenuous truce, promising to fight only the US-backed forces. But that truce has not seemed to have held.
Multiple clashes between ISIS-K and the Taliban were reported in April and May, resulting in multiple civilian, Taliban and ISIS casualties.
More from Business Insider:
- The U.S. unleashed the 'mother of all bombs' onto an ISIS target in Afghanistan
- The U.S. is edging ever closer to fighting ISIS, Assad, and his backers — all at the same time
- Here’s an inside look at the Navy’s newest high-tech destroyer
- Iranian boat shines laser at US aircraft during 'an unsafe encounter' in the Strait of Hormuz
- The U.S. is taking major steps to reassure Qatar as it deals with a diplomatic row in the Gulf
Retired Army Master Sgt. Mark Allen has died 10 years after he was shot in the head while searching for deserter Pvt. Bowe Bergdahl in Afghanistan.
Allen died on Saturday at the age of 46, according to funeral information posted online.
For U.S. service members who have fought alongside the Kurds, President Donald Trump's decision to approve repositioning U.S. forces in Syria ahead of Turkey's invasion is a naked betrayal of valued allies.
"I am ashamed for the first time in my career," one unnamed special operator told Fox News Jennifer Griffin.
In a Twitter thread that went viral, Griffin wrote the soldier told her the Kurds were continuing to support the United States by guarding tens of thousands of ISIS prisoners even though Turkey had nullified an arrangement under which U.S. and Turkish troops were conducting joint patrols in northeastern Syria to allow the Kurdish People's Protection Units, or YPG, to withdraw.
"The Kurds are sticking by us," the soldier told Griffin. "No other partner I have ever dealt with would stand by us."
Defense Secretary Mark Esper said Sunday he and the Pentagon will comply with House Democrats' impeachment inquiry subpoena, but it'll be on their own schedule.
"We will do everything we can to cooperate with the Congress," Esper said on CBS' "Face the Nation." "Just in the last week or two, my general counsel sent out a note — as we typically do in these situations — to ensure documents are retained."
Most of the U.S. troops in Syria are being moved out of the country as Turkish forces and their Arab allies push further into Kurdish territory than originally expected, Task & Purpose has learned.
Roughly 1,000 U.S. troops are withdrawing from Syria, leaving a residual force of between 100 and 150 service members at the Al Tanf garrison, a U.S. official said.
"I spoke with the president last night after discussions with the rest of the national security team and he directed that we begin a deliberate withdrawal of forces from northern Syria," Defense Secretary Mark Esper said on Sunday's edition of CBS News' "Face the Nation."'
More than 700 women and children affiliated with ISIS escape Kurdish prison camp after Turkish shelling
BEIRUT/ISTANBUL (Reuters) - Women affiliated with Islamic State and their children fled en masse from a camp where they were being held in northern Syria on Sunday after shelling by Turkish forces in a five-day-old offensive, the region's Kurdish-led administration said.
Turkey's cross-border attack in northern Syria against Kurdish forces widened to target the town of Suluk which was hit by Ankara's Syrian rebel allies. There were conflicting accounts on the outcome of the fighting.
Turkey is facing threats of possible sanctions from the United States unless it calls off the incursion. Two of its NATO allies, Germany and France, have said they are halting weapons exports to Turkey. The Arab League has denounced the operation.