ISIS is reportedly using cows strapped with bombs for suicide missions

news

Sgt. Donald Casey, center, a Las Vegas native, and Spc. Patrick Grady, a San Antonio native, search a farm in the Abu Ghuraib District of western Baghdad as the cows look on, during Operation Gimlet Tidal Wave Oct. 4, 2008.

U.S. Army/Sgt. Benjamin Crane

Editor's Note: This article originally appeared on Business Insider.

Islamic State militants in Iraq used cows strapped with explosive vests in a recent bombing operation, according to a New York Times report published Wednesday.


At least two cows were seen with explosive vests in the southeastern Iraqi village of Al Islah, where they were then remotely detonated when they were close to homes, a provincial police commander said, according to The Times. The cows, which The Times said could cost more than $1,200 each, were killed and homes were damaged. No humans were believed to be harmed in the incident.

Vehicle-borne improvised explosive devices have been widely used by terrorist organizations for suicide missions, as have animals. In 2013, a suicide bomber with a donkey killed three NATO troops in Afghanistan. The Taliban claimed responsibility for the attack.

The Times suggested the recent attack was a sign the Islamic State wanted to preserve the lives of its members who might otherwise die in a suicide bombing.

Wednesday's report came amid a scathing assessment from the Defense Department's inspector general warning that the Islamic State, also known as ISIS, could be resurfacing in light of the US's decision to withdraw its troops from Syria.

"ISIS remains a threat in Iraq and Syria," the report's lead inspector general, Glenn Fine, wrote. "This quarter, ISIS continued its transition from a territory — holding force to an insurgency in Syria, and it intensified its insurgency in Iraq."

Though estimates vary, about 14,000 to 18,000 ISIS members are still believed to be operating in Iraq and Syria, according to public data cited in the inspector general's report. The figures include up to 3,000 foreigners.

More from Business Insider:

Two U.S. troops were killed in Afghanistan on Wednesday in a helicopter crash, military officials have announced.

Read More Show Less
Chief Master Sgt. Jason Morehouse. (U.S. Air Force photo)

Editor's Note: This article by Oriana Pawlyk originally appeared onMilitary.com, a leading source of news for the military and veteran community.

The command chief of the 20th Fighter Wing at Shaw Air Force Base, South Carolina, was removed from his position last month after his chain of command received evidence he disrespected his subordinates.

Read More Show Less

Editor's Note: The following is an op-ed. The opinions expressed are those of the author, and do not necessarily reflect the views of Task & Purpose.

The "suck it up and drive on" mentality permeated our years in the U.S. military and often led us to delay getting both physical and mental health care. As veterans, we now understand that engaging in effective care enables us not just to survive but to thrive. Crucially, the path to mental wellness, like any serious journey, isn't accomplished in a day — and just because you need additional or recurring mental health care doesn't mean your initial treatment failed.

Read More Show Less

Editor's Note: This article originally appeared on Radio Free Europe/Radio Free Liberty.

NATO Secretary-General Jens Stoltenberg has called on the security alliance's allies to maintain and strengthen their "unity," saying the organization is "the only guarantor of European and transatlantic security."

Stoltenberg told reporters on November 19 that NATO "has only grown stronger over the last 70 years" despite "differences" among the allies on issues such as trade, climate, the Iran nuclear deal, and the situation in northeastern Syria.

He was speaking at the alliance's headquarters in Brussels on the eve of a NATO foreign ministers meeting aimed at finalizing preparations for next month's summit in London.

Read More Show Less
An aerial view of the Pentagon building in Washington, June 15, 2005. (Reuters/Jason Reed JIR/CN)

WASHINGTON — More than $35 million of the roughly $400 million in aid to Ukraine that President Donald Trump delayed, sparking the impeachment inquiry, has not been released to the country, according to a Pentagon spending document obtained by the Los Angeles Times.

Instead, the defense funding for Ukraine remains in U.S. accounts, according to the document. It's not clear why the money hasn't been released, and members of Congress are demanding answers.

Read More Show Less