Trump nominates Air Force general to lead new Space Command

news
U.S. Air Force Gen. Jay Raymond, Commander of Air Force Space Command, addresses the 34th Space Symposium in Colorado Springs, Colorado, April 17, 2018. (U.S. Air Force/ Dave Grim)

President Trump has nominated Gen. Jay Raymond to lead the U.S. Space Command, a new major military entity aimed at advancing the country's operations in space.


Raymond, whose nomination would face a senate vote, currently serves as commander of the U.S. Air Force's existing Space Command. That Air Force entity would be a key component of the new command.

The U.S. Space Command, which Trump established in December, is separate from his goal of creating a "Space Force" as an independent armed service branch.

It's not clear whether Raymond would lead both space commands at the same time, if he's confirmed. The existing Air Force Space Command is based in Colorado and employs more than 26,000 people worldwide.

The White House could not immediately be reached for this story, but the Air Force Association confirmed the nomination Tuesday afternoon to the Daily News.

Trump's one-page memo announcing the new command states it would be tasked with general responsibilities of a "unified combatant command," but it offered no details.

An entity of the same name existed from 1985 to 2002, but it was disbanded after the 9/11 terrorist attacks so the military could focus on homeland security.

Raymond has held numerous roles in the military since 1984 and won several awards and decorations, according to a bio on the Air Force's website. He previously served as the Air Force's deputy chief of staff for operations.

———

©2019 New York Daily News. Distributed by Tribune Content Agency, LLC.

SEE ALSO: Trump Just Signed A Prime Directive On The Space Force. Now It's Up To Congress To Make It So

WATCH NEXT: Here Comes The Space Force

WASHINGTON (Reuters) - Known for acting on impulse, President Donald Trump has adopted an uncharacteristically go-slow approach to whether to hold Iran responsible for attacks on Saudi oil facilities, showing little enthusiasm for confrontation as he seeks re-election next year.

After state-owned Saudi Aramco's plants were struck on Saturday, Trump didn't wait long to fire off a tweet that the United States was "locked and loaded" to respond, and Secretary of State Mike Pompeo blamed Iran.

But four days later, Trump has no timetable for action. Instead, he wants to wait and see the results of investigations into what happened and is sending Pompeo to consult counterparts in Saudi Arabia and the United Arab Emirates this week.

Read More Show Less

That sound you're hearing is Army senior leaders exhaling a sigh of relief, because the Army has surpassed its recruiting goal for the year.

After failing to meet recruiting goals in 2018, the Army put the pedal to the metal and "did some soul searching," said Acting Army Secretary Ryan McCarthy, to ensure that they'd meet their 2019 goal. It must have paid off — the service announced on Tuesday that more than 68,000 recruits have signed on as active-duty soldiers, and more soldiers have stuck around than they expected.

Read More Show Less

Air Force Chief of Staff Gen. David Goldfein transformed into the Cigarette Smoking Man from "The X-Files" on Tuesday when explaining why UFO enthusiasts should avoid storming the mythical Area 51 installation in Nevada.

"All joking aside, we're taking it very seriously," Goldfein told reporters during the Air Force Association's annual Air, Space, and Cyber Conference. "Our nation has secrets, and those secrets deserve to be protected. The people deserve to have our nation's secrets protected."

Read More Show Less
Paul Szoldra/Task & Purpose

SAN DIEGO — A San Diego-based Navy SEAL acquitted of murder in a closely watched war crimes trial this summer has filed a lawsuit against two of his former attorneys and a military legal defense nonprofit, according to a complaint filed in federal court in Texas on Friday.

Read More Show Less

NATIONAL HARBOR, Maryland — The Air Force is reviewing whether some airmen's valor awards deserve to be upgraded to the Medal of Honor, Chief of Staff Gen. David Goldfein said on Tuesday.

Goldfein revealed that several airmen are being considered for the nation's highest military award during a press conference at the Air Force Association's annual Air, Space, and Cyber Conference. He declined to say exactly who could receive the Medal of Honor, pending the outcome of the review process.

Read More Show Less