These Are The Lucky Soldiers Who Get To Destroy The JLTV Next

Military Tech
Raider Brigade Fields New JLTV

Soldiers with the 173rd Airborne Brigade Combat Team in Italy are next in line to get their hands on the Army's brand new Joint Light Tactical Vehicle, Task & Purpose has learned.


The Army had in 2017 initially planned on fielding the first JLTVs to an infantry brigade combat team with the 10th Mountain Division at Fort Drum, New York.

In December 2018, the Army announced that the 1st Armored Brigade Combat Team, 3rd Infantry Division at Fort Stewart, Georgia, would receive the vehicles first instead.

"In late 2017 the Army Requirements Oversight Council directed a study to determine which variations of the Joint Light Tactical Vehicle (JLTV) would be best suited for an Infantry Brigade Combat Team," Army public affairs officials Lt. Col. Isaac Taylor explained to Task & Purpose in an email.

"In order to make that assessment, while keeping the program on schedule, the Army decided to first field the vehicles to an Armored Brigade Combat Team attached to the 3rd Infantry Division."

The 3rd ID Raider Brigade is clearly putting the JLTV through its paces: Soldiers managed to flip a training vehicle during Operator New Equipment Training on Jan,. 18, just four days after the unit took possession its first batch of the 500 vehicles it's scheduled to receive over the next several weeks.

In November, officials at Army Contracting Command requested that JLTV manufacturer Oshkosh manufacture 6,107 new vehicles under a $1.7 billion contract.

The Army and Marine Corps, which also plans on adopting the JLTV, have taken receipt of some 2,600 JLTVs so far, with plans to field about 50,000 vehicles by 2040.

SEE ALSO: It Took The Army 4 Years To Field The JLTV. It Took Soldiers 4 Days To Total One

WATCH NEXT: Meet The JLTV

NEW YORK (Reuters) - The United States will likely move some troops to Poland from elsewhere in Europe, U.S. President Donald Trump said on Monday as he and Polish President Andrzej Duda met.

Read More Show Less

HELMAND, Afghanistan/KABUL (Reuters) - At least 40 civilians attending a wedding party were killed by explosions and gunfire during a raid by U.S.-backed Afghan government forces on a nearby Islamist militant hideout, officials in Helmand province said on Monday.

The raid, days after a U.S. drone strike aimed at militants hiding among farmers killed 32 pine nut harvesters, showed how civilians have borne the brunt of a war that has re-intensified since U.S.-Taliban peace talks collapsed two weeks ago.

Read More Show Less

Army Staff Sgt. Ahmed lives in California, and serves with the Active Guard Reserve. But he didn't come into service the same way his colleagues did — he started as a translator in Iraq, for American troops.

Read More Show Less
(DoD photo)

A 24-year-old soldier based at Fort Riley has been charged in federal court in Topeka with sending over social media instructions on how to make bombs triggered by cellphones, according to federal prosecutors in Kansas.

Read More Show Less
(U.S. Army/Staff Sgt. Andrew Smith)

Three U.S. service members received non-life-threatening injuries after being fired on Monday by an Afghan police officer, a U.S. official confirmed.

The troops were part of a convoy in Kandahar province that came under attack by a member of the Afghan Civil Order Police, a spokesperson for Operation Resolute Support said on Monday.

Read More Show Less