Get Task & Purpose in your inbox
A New ‘John Wick’ Spin-Off Movie Will Feature A Female Super-Assassin
A new feature length spin-off movie set in the same world as Keanu Reeves’ ex-hitman John Wick is in the works — but unlike the previous films, and the upcoming Wick flick, this one will feature a female lead.
Titled Ballerina, the movie will center around a young woman who was trained as an assassin after her family was murdered, according to The Hollywood Reporter, which broke the news after the script for the film was picked up by Lionsgate.
But beyond that, we don’t know much about the film other than it’s being described The Reporter as a kind of rehash of La Femme Nikita, but with a dash of Quentin Tarantino’s hyper stylized mayhem. This all kind of points to Ballerina being an adrenaline-fueled revenge rampage, with all the trappings of the Wick franchise — nice cars, guns, and a class chambered in, well, whatever suits your tastes.
The July 25 announcement comes the heels of two other developments: The first, that Reeves will reprise his role as the titular hitman in John Wick: 3; and the second: That the world of super assassins who pay their way with doubloons like strapped pirates, will expand even further in The Continental miniseries on CBS.
With a whole new feature film on the way and a young star, we might get to see how assassins are recruited and trained before they become living legends like John Wick. But more importantly, the expansion of the Wick universe means we might just see a growing catalogue of films featuring the strange, shadowy world of dapper assassins.
Let’s just hope Ballerina keeps the style, but not all the traditions of the John Wick franchise — really don’t want to see another dog get killed. Though, they could always take it in a very different direction.
A massive billing glitch in Tricare's East region, managed by Humana, on Thursday slammed about 25,000 beneficiaries with premium charges 100 times more than they owe monthly for their coverage.
A Minnesota Army National Guard UH-60 Black Hawk helicopter with three Guardsmen aboard crashed south of St. Cloud on Thursday, said National Guard spokeswoman Army Master Sgt. Blair Heusdens.
At this time, the National Guard is not releasing any information about the status of the three people aboard the helicopter, Heusdens told Task & Purpose on Thursday.
A missing Canadian ex-soldier was reportedly smuggled across the US border and is hiding with a neo-Nazi group
Editor's Note: This article originally appeared on Business Insider.
Former Canadian Army Reserve Master Cpl. Patrik Mathews, 26, was first identified as a member of The Base by Winnipeg Free Press reporter Ryan Thorpe.
Days after Thorpe's report was published, Mathews went missing and was discharged from the military for his alleged ties to the group. His car was found about 10 miles from the U.S. border soon thereafter, and police found a cache of weapons when they raided his home.
Vice reporters Ben Makuch, Mack Lamoureux, and Zachary Kamel, citing confidential sources, reported on Thursday that Mathews had been illegally smuggled across the border and is being hidden by members of The Base, which has operated in encrypted chatrooms as a largely online organization.
The Pentagon's latest attempt to twist itself in knots to deny that it is considering sending up to 14,000 troops to the Middle East has a big caveat.
Pentagon spokeswoman Alyssa Farah said there are no plans to send that many troops to the region "at this time."
Farah's statement does not rule out the possibility that the Defense Department could initially announce a smaller deployment to the region and subsequently announce that more troops are headed downrange.
The Navy could deploy a second carrier to the Middle East if Trump orders an Iran surge, top admiral says
The Navy could send a second aircraft carrier to the Middle East if President Donald Trump orders a surge of forces to the region, Chief of Naval Operations Adm. Mike Gilday said on Thursday.
Gordon Lubold and Nancy Youssef of the Wall Street Journal first reported the United States is considering sending up to 14,000 troops to the Middle East to deter Iran from attacking U.S. forces and regional allies. The surge forces could include several ships.