The suit meets the criteria to fall under the Federal Tort Claims Act, which allows people to seek damages in certain cases if they can prove the U.S. Government was negligent, The Dallas Morning News reported.
Under most circumstances the doctrine of sovereign immunity protects the government from lawsuits, but in this case U.S. District Judge Xavier Rodriguez held that failure of the U.S. Air Force and the Department of Defense to log shooter Devin Kelley's history of mental health problems and violent behavior in an FBI database made them potentially liable.
The military vet took his own life after committing the deadliest shooting in Texas history.
Before carrying out his rampage, the Air Force vet had already been convicted of beating his first wife and assaulting his stepson, which earned him a discharge for bad conduct in 2014, The Dallas Morning News said. Two years before that he had been confined to, and escaped, a mental health facility for threatening to kill his commanding officers.
Last December the Department of Defense inspector general's office issued a report detailing Kelley's history of violence, gun obsession and threatening behavior toward women, the Associated Press reported. His wife and mother-in-law were First Baptist parishioners.
In February another negligence lawsuit was allowed to go forward, this one against the store that had sold Kelley his weapon, on the grounds that his Colorado Springs address should have disqualified him from buying it. It's illegal in Colorado to sell assault rifles with magazine capacities greater than 15 rounds, and Kelly bought a 30-round Ruger rifle, and the lawsuit against Academy Sports + Outdoors alleges that the retailer should have complied with Colorado's laws.
First Baptist has been slowly recovering since the shooting 18 months ago. Last Friday the church unveiled a new sanctuary that includes a memorial room that honors the victims.
An E-2D Hawkeye assigned to the Bluetails of Carrier Airborne Early Warning Squadron (VAW) 121 lands on the flight deck aboard the Nimitz-class aircraft carrier USS Abraham Lincoln (CVN 72). (U.S. Navy/Mass Communication Specialist Seaman Will Hardy)
Nobody can be told what The Matrix is; you have to see it for yourself.
More than two decades after The Matrix showed the world what the future of the sci-fi action flick could look like, Warner Bros. Pictures plans on producing a fourth installment of the groundbreaking epic saga, Variety first reported on Tuesday.
Sailors from Coastal Riverine Squadron (CRS) 1 conduct category III qualifications on the M2A1 heavy machine gun at Marine Corps Base Camp Pendleton, Calif. CRS-1 is qualifying for future mobilization requirements. (U.S. Navy/Hospital Corpsman 1st Class Kenji Shiroma)
The Navy is considering giving Ma Deuce a quiet new update.
A competitor performs push-ups during the physical fitness event at the Minnesota Army National Guard Best Warrior Competition on April 4, 2019, at Camp Ripley, Minnesota. (Minnesota National Guard photo by Sgt. Sebastian Nemec)
Despite what you may have heard, the Army has not declared war on mustaches.
The Army W.T.F! Moments Facebook page on Monday posted a memo written by a 3rd Infantry Division company commander telling his soldiers that only the fittest among them will be allowed to sprout facial hair under their warrior nostrils.
"During my tenure at Battle Company, I have noticed a direct correlation between mustaches and a lack of physical fitness," the memo says. "In an effort to increase the physical fitness of Battle Company, mustaches will not be authorized for any soldier earning less than a 300 on the APFT [Army Physical Fitness Test]."