Ex-Soldier Who Killed 16 Civilians In Kandahar Massacre May Seek Clemency From Trump

news
In this Sunday, March 11, 2012 photo, men stand next to blood stains and charred remains inside a home where witnesses say Afghans were killed by a U.S. soldier in Panjwai, Kandahar province south of Kabul, Afghanistan, on Sunday.
Associated Press/Allauddin Khan

Robert Bales, the former Army staff sergeant who killed 16 Afghan civilians, including seven children, will likely ask the president to commute his life sentence once he exhausts his legal appeals for one of the nation’s most notorious war crimes.


Bales’ attorney, John Maher of Chicago, said earlier this month that if he runs out of options in the courts, he will seek executive clemency from the president.

Bales could face a receptive audience if President Donald Trump still occupies the Oval Office when his appeals are complete. Trump has freed people he believes were treated unfairly by the judicial system, pardoning five, including two for political corruption and infamous Arizona sheriff Joe Arpaio, who was convicted of criminal contempt.

He also pardoned one former service member among the more than 3,000 clemency requests: Former Machinist Mate 1st Class Kristian Saucier was sentenced to a year in prison for taking photos of a classified area of Naval Submarine Base in New London, Conn. Trump pardoned him after Saucier said he had been treated more harshly than others who were accused of mishandling classified information, including former Secretary of State Hillary Clinton and former CIA Director David Petraeus.

Related: Just Kills: How The Marine Corps Blew The Biggest War Crimes Case Since Vietnam »

Clinton was not charged with wrongdoing, and Petraeus pleaded guilty and was sentenced to 2 years’ probation and a $100,000 fine.

Maher said Bales would likely request a commutation of the life-without-parole sentence “to provide a chance to one day be returned to his wife and children.”

In the early morning hours of March 11, 2012, Bales left his base, Camp Belambay, in Kandahar, armed with an M4 carbine and M9 pistol, and headed to a nearby village, where he killed four people, including a child, and assaulted six others. He returned to base for more ammunition before walking to another village, where he killed a dozen more, mainly women and children, in their beds.

It was his first tour in Afghanistan, following three in Iraq. According to court documents, he had been drinking that evening and taken sleeping pills and also was using anabolic steroids, known to cause mood swings.

He pleaded guilty on June 5, 2013, and was sentenced to life without parole in the maximum-security military prison at Fort Leavenworth, Kan.

Bales’ next step is the Supreme Court. In a petition filed May 19, Bales’ attorneys argued that evidence was withheld during the former soldier’s trial that could have influenced the sentence.

Prosecutors, the petition said, failed to disclose that service members, including Bales, were ordered to take an anti-malaria medication, mefloquine, that is known to cause nightmares, anxiety, anger and psychosis in some patients.

It also alleges that the prosecution failed to divulge evidence that three relatives of Bales’ victims who testified in his sentencing were linked to roadside bomb attacks on coalition forces, according to U.S. military databases, or had been detained as Taliban associates.

“The idea is not so much we want to exonerate Bob Bales,” Maher told McClatchy. “But he’s an American soldier who walked into combat four times. Understandably, there’s going to a breaking point for even the strongest people around, and he deserves every protection the Constitution provides.”

Maher said Bales took mefloquine during a 2003-2004 tour in Iraq and possibly was taking it in Afghanistan in 2012. The malaria drug is known to cause neurological and inner ear problems, including debilitating vertigo, in a small percentage of users. Case studies show it also has caused psychotic behavior and paranoid delusions in some troops.

Related: This Marine-Made War Documentary Is So Raw The Corps Doesn’t Want You To See It »

Maher argued that a 2012 Pentagon memo on undocumented use of mefloquine by troops was not disclosed, nor was an anonymous report from a pharmacist to the FDA that a patient taking mefloquine, presumably Bales, had killed more than a dozen people in Afghanistan.

But Army judges rejected the mefloquine argument as speculative. They also found the argument that prosecution falsely portrayed several witnesses as farmers, rather than known associates to IED events or the Taliban, “unfounded.” The ruling was affirmed by the U.S. Court of Appeals for the Armed Forces in February.

Retired Army Lt. Col. Jay Morse, who led the government’s prosecution team in 2013, said the petition contained “embellishments and flat-out mistruths.”

Morse said the defense has misrepresented how mefloquine became an issue, adding that the government disclosed Bales’ medical records and furnished all the information and subject matter experts, including psychiatrists and psychologists, that were requested by the defense team members.

“None of them raised this issue,” he said. “There continues to be zero evidence that Bales was provided mefloquine.”

Morse said the prosecution was aware that one witness, Mullah Baaran had been detained at a facility in Parwan, Afghanistan, but he “takes a pretty significant exception that he was tied into terrorist activities.”

“My recollection is that he spent one day detained at a facility nowhere near Panjwayi, and my recollection is he was rolled up with people working in a poppy field. Saying that he was tied up with terrorist activity — is just wrong,” he said.

Maher’s firm, Maher Legal Services, has already asked the president to pardon former Army 1st Lt. Clint Lorance, who was convicted in 2012 of ordering the shootings of three Afghan men on a motorcycle; two died, including a village elder. Lorance is serving 19 years at the military prison at Fort Leavenworth, Kan.

The Supreme Court justices will review Bales case in conference Thursday.

Maher knows the chance of the court accepting the case is slim. If rejected, he plans to petition the U.S. District Court in Kansas. If those appeals are unsuccessful, he will ask the president for clemency.

“There has to be some measure of institutional responsibility on the part of the nation and/or the Army to recognize that even the strongest, most resilient individuals reach a breaking point,” Maher said. “Then, there’s evidence that may have helped him when they were trying to give him the death penalty. Moreover, we’re depriving his wife and two little kids.”

The Supreme Court likely won’t take the case, said Eric Montalvo, a former Marine Corps attorney who runs a civilian defense firm in Washington and is not affiliated with the case

“When you have an individual who said ‘I killed women and children,’ and tried to burn their bodies because they were evidence, it’s crime and cover-up, which gives you a sense of consciousness. That’s not psychosis,” Montalvo said.

Morse said he would not be surprised if Bales eventually requests a presidential pardon because the original case, in Morse’s opinion, produced few, if any, errors to appeal.

“This case was watertight. From the beginning the goal didn’t include just winning, it included justice, doing right and following the rules.”

———

©2018 McClatchy Washington Bureau. Distributed by Tribune Content Agency, LLC.

WATCH NEXT:

A former Soviet submarine that became a tourist attraction docked adjacent to the Queen Mary in Long Beach is expected to be sold soon to an anonymous buyer, with plans to remove the rusting sub by mid-May.

The 48-year-old Russian Foxtrot-class submarine, known as the Scorpion, had hosted paying visitors for 17 years before it fell into such disrepair that it became infested with raccoons and was closed to the public in 2015.

Read More Show Less

Former Army 1st Lt. Clint Lorance, whom President Donald Trump recently pardoned of his 2013 murder conviction, claims he was nothing more than a pawn whom generals sacrificed for political expediency.

The infantry officer had been sentenced to 19 years in prison for ordering his soldiers to open fire on three unarmed Afghan men in 2012. Two of the men were killed.

During a Monday interview on Fox & Friends, Lorance accused his superiors of betraying him.

"A service member who knows that their commanders love them will go to the gates of hell for their country and knock them down," Lorance said. "I think that's extremely important. Anybody who is not part of the senior Pentagon brass will tell you the same thing."

"I think folks that start putting stars on their collar — anybody that has got to be confirmed by the Senate for a promotion — they are no longer a soldier, they are a politician," he continued. "And so I think they lose some of their values — and they certainly lose a lot of their respect from their subordinates — when they do what they did to me, which was throw me under the bus."

Read More Show Less
Members of the Iranian Revolutionary Guard Corps march during a parade to commemorate the anniversary of the Iran-Iraq war (1980-88), in Tehran September 22, 2011. (Reuters photo)

Fifteen years after the U.S. military toppled the regime of Saddam Hussein, the Army's massive two-volume study of the Iraq War closed with a sobering assessment of the campaign's outcome: With nearly 3,500 U.S. service members killed in action and trillions of dollars spent, "an emboldened and expansionist Iran appears to be the only victor.

Thanks to roughly 700 pages of newly-publicized secret Iranian intelligence cables, we now have a good idea as to why.

Read More Show Less
Air Force Tech. Sgt. Cody Smith (Photo courtesy U.S. Air Force)

Editor's Note: This article by Gina Harkins originally appeared on Military.com, a leading source of news for the military and veteran community.

A U.S. Air Force combat controller will receive the nation's third highest award for valor this week for playing an essential role in two intense firefight missions against the Taliban in Afghanistan last year.

Tech. Sgt. Cody Smith, an airman with the 26th Special Tactics Squadron, 24th Special Operations Wing at Air Force Special Operations Command, will receive the Silver Star at Cannon Air Force Base, New Mexico on Nov. 22, the service announced Monday.

Read More Show Less

The U.S. Coast Guard Cutter Harriet Lane intercepted a suspected semi-submersible smuggling vessel in international waters of the Eastern Pacific Ocean and seized approximately 5,000 pounds of cocaine October 23.

Read More Show Less