The writers behind the 'Fast & Furious' franchise desperately want Keanu Reeves in their next blockbuster

Entertainment

VIDEO: Keanu Reeves tears it up during training for 'John Wick 3'

John Wick may have lost his dog, but there's a slight chance he'll find himself a brand new family — that is, if his real-world alter ego is up for it.


John Wick star and impressive three-gunner Keanu Reeves reportedly met with long time Fast & Furious series writer Chris Morgan to discuss starring alongside the likes of Vin Diesel in an upcoming installment of the no-holds-barred white-knuckle thrill ride of a film franchise, industry website ScreenRant reports.

"I sat down with him and we're talking about," Morgan told ScreenRant in an interview published Wednesday. "I wanted him to be in the Fast universe for a very long time. We're just trying to find... the hardest thing is always time and competing schedules and then designing the right thing together. My fervent desire is to bring him into this franchise for sure."

This isn't the first time that Reeves has been approached about joining the Fast & Furious universe. Speaking to The Hollywood Reporter in August, Hobbs & Shaw writer David Leitch confirmed that producers had sparked rumors of a Keanu cameo after they approached the John Wick star about a role in the spin-off.

"It all stemmed from the fact that we had talked to Keanu early on," Leitch said at the time. "It was even before where we ended up with this draft. I had been talking to Keanu periodically through the shooting of it all and looking for opportunities of where it could be. I also wanted to make sure that it was enough — a real promise for something legitimate in the future — and wasn't just a stunt casting role."

Eventually, though, the high-octane Hobbs & Shaw became to crowded with "all these other personalities, and I just didn't really think that we needed it, although I would've loved it," as Leitch told The Hollywood Reporter. "We even talked in post, and I showed him a rough cut of the movie. Then, we had conversations about 'is there something here?' We came to the conclusion of 'let's put a pin in it.' I'm all for finding opportunities, but I also didn't want to force anything."

As ScreenRant points out, Reeves certainly doesn't need to join the beloved Fast & Furious franchise, even if it would kick outrageous ass. With John Wick: Chapter 4 already in the works and a return as Neo in the upcoming sequel to The Matrix on the horizon, the actor is in higher demand than he's been in years. But with production of Fast & Furious 9 already under way, perhaps Reeves could find a way to sneak into the film in a short, bullet-riddled cameo.

In the meantime, we'll be over here watching him train, over and over and over again:

Gen. Chuck Horner (ret.) commanded the air campaign of Desert Storm (Task & Purpose photo illustration)

When Air Force Gen. Chuck Horner (ret.) took to the podium at the dedication of the National Desert Storm and Desert Shield Memorial site in Washington D.C. last February, he told the audience that people often ask him why a memorial is necessary for a conflict that only lasted about 40 days.

Horner, who commanded the U.S. air campaign of that war, said the first reason is to commemorate those who died in the Gulf War. Then he pointed behind him, towards the Vietnam Veterans Memorial, where the names of over 58,000 Americans who died in Vietnam are etched in granite.

"These two monuments are inexorably linked together," Horner said. "Because we had in Desert Storm a president and a secretary of defense who did the smartest thing in the world: they gave the military a mission which could be accomplished by military force."

The Desert Storm Memorial "is a place every military person that's going to war should visit, and they learn to stand up when they have to, to avoid the stupidness that led to that disaster" in Vietnam, he added.

Now, 29 years after the operation that kicked Saddam Hussein's Iraqi army out of Kuwait began, the U.S. is stuck in multiple wars that Horner says resemble the one he and his fellow commanders tried to avoid while designing Desert Storm.

Horner shared his perspective on what went right in the Gulf War, and what's gone wrong since then, in an interview last week with Task & Purpose.

Read More
Staff Sgt. Logan Melgar (U.S. Army photo)

The Navy SEAL accused of strangling Army Special Forces Staff Sgt. Logan Melgar was promoted to chief petty officer two months after Melgar's death, according to a new report from The Daily Beast.

Read More
In this March 12, 2016, file photo, Marines of the U.S., left, and South Korea, wearing blue headbands on their helmets, take positions after landing on a beach during the joint military combined amphibious exercise, called Ssangyong, part of the Key Resolve and Foal Eagle military exercises, in Pohang, South Korea. (Associated Press/Yonhap/Kim Jun-bum)

Editor's Note: This article by Richard Sisk originally appeared on Military.com, a leading source of news for the military and veteran community.

U.S. troops are still ready to "fight tonight" against North Korea despite the indefinite suspension of major military training exercises on the Korean peninsula, Pentagon officials said Tuesday.

Read More
A C-17 Globemaster III assigned to the 911th Airlift Wing is towed across the flightline at March Air Reserve Base, California, Jan. 7, 2020. (Air Force photo by Joshua J. Seybert)

March Air Reserve Base in California will host nearly 200 U.S. citizens who were flown out of Wuhan, China due to the rapidly-spreading coronavirus, a Defense Department spokeswoman announced on Wednesday.

"March Air Reserve Base and the Department of Defense (DoD) stand ready to provide housing support to Health and Human Services (HHS) as they work to handle the arrival of nearly 200 people, including Department of State employees, dependents and U.S. citizens evacuated from Wuhan, China," said Pentagon press secretary Alyssa Farah in a statement on Wednesday.

Wuhan is the epicenter of the coronavirus, which is a mild to severe respiratory illness that's associated with symptoms of fever, cough and shortness of breath, according to the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention.

The virus has so far killed 132 people and infected nearly 6,000 others in China, according to news reports.

Read More

The number of U.S. troops diagnosed with Traumatic Brain Injury following Iran's missile attack on Al- Asad Air Base in Iraq now stands at 50, the Defense Department announced on Tuesday.

Read More