Korean War soldier finally laid to rest after missing for 69 years


VIDEO: 'The Chosin Few' Unite

KINGSLEY — Twenty-one shots from an honor guard. The haunting sound of a bugler playing Taps. Then, total silence as two more Michigan Army National Guard honor guard members folded the flag draped over U.S. Army Sgt. David Feriend's casket, presenting one to his two sisters.

Those sights and sounds marked the moment Feriend finally came home. He was laid to rest Sunday in Evergreen Cemetery near Kingsley, nearly 69 years after he went missing in battle in the Korean War.

Feriend was last seen Dec. 6, 1950, during the battle of Chosin Reservoir trying to get injured soldiers to safety, Pastor Colleen Wierman told the circle of people gathered at his grave site. He sacrificed his safety to help his wounded comrades, she said, one of many he made before paying the ultimate price.

"In his sacrifice, then, I see the face of God," she said. "Maybe he made those sacrifices so we could see the face of God, too."

A photograph of Sgt. David A. Feriend is displayed at Covell Funeral Home on Sunday in Kinglsey. Sgt. Feriend fought in the Korean War and was declared missing in action on Dec. 6, 1950, during the Battle of Chosin Reservoir (Mike Krebs via Record-Eagle)

The identification of Feriend's remains, announced by the Defense POW/MIA Accounting Agency in August, answers a question long on the minds of his family members. Ilene Arbogast, Feriend's sister, said the family hoped he had been captured but it wasn't true.

Arbogast said their parents never gave up hope, and on Sunday she said she's "happy as can be" to have Feriend back.

"It's been many years of wishing and hoping, but he's home," she said.

Arbogast, of Spring Lake, Michigan, found out in August after she got a call from the Department of Defense asking to meet, about what she had no idea, she said.

Doris Clark found out from Arbogast, she said — the two women are Feriend's last surviving siblings. Clark and her brother had submitted what are called "spit kits" for DNA verification.

North Korean Supreme Leader Kim Yong Un agreed to release remains of U.S. soldiers killed in action during the war when he met with President Donald Trump in June 2018. The North Korean government turned over 55 boxes of remains.

One of those boxes just happened to hold Feriend's remains, Clark said, calling it a "miracle."

Feriend's remains are among more than a dozen Korean War casualties identified around the same time. Some, like Army Corporal Charles Lawler of Traverse City, also were turned over following the diplomatic breakthrough. Others had been turned over or recovered earlier.

The Defense POW/MIA Accounting Agency states 7,606 U.S. soldiers who fought in the Korean War remain unaccounted for.

Feriend died in a brutal battle that came during the tipping point of a war that still hasn't officially ended, killed 1 million or more and left the Korean peninsula split to this day.

The Korean War looked all but won by November 1950, with North Koreans beat back to a strip along the Chinese border, according to the National Museum of the United States Army. Then, thousands of Chinese soldiers crossed into North Korea late that month, attacking U.S. troops and encircling their positions around the Chosin Reservoir.

The ensuing battle nearly wiped out the Seventh Infantry Division's 31st Regiment, museum Chief Historian Matthew Seelinger wrote — Feriend belonged to this regiment.

Chinese forces went on to push U.S. and allied troops completely out of North Korea, with the resulting border stalemate finally ending in armistice in 1953 — the year Feriend was declared dead.

Arbogast said her brother joined the Army just before he graduated high school, then reenlisted when he couldn't find work.

She remembers him as a happy-go-lucky boy and a good brother.

Clark, now of Chico, California, said her brother loved to sing country western songs. She remembers how he would wake her up after delivering papers to build a fire to warm the house. The two would then share braided bismarcks — twisted pastries with cinnamon and sugar — with their dog.

He also towed Clark on a sled once as he skated on a pond, she recalled.

"He flipped the rope, and when he did my hands were the first to leave the sled and my derriere followed really fast like," she said.

She skinned her head in the resulting spill, and the spot ached every winter for years afterward, Clark said with a laugh.

Both sisters recalled their brother inside Covell Funeral Home, where a crowd gathered Sunday morning to pay their respects to Feriend.

Arbogast said she's been overwhelmed by the outpouring of support and media attention Feriend's identification spurred.

Clark said it feels good to know her brother is home in spirit and in body.

"But he's home, he's just plain home," she said. "It's where he belongs. There's something to be said about home and that's where he's at."


©2019 The Record-Eagle (Traverse City, Mich.) Distributed by Tribune Content Agency, LLC.

It is impossible to tune out news about the impeachment inquiry into President Donald Trump now that the hearings have become public. And this means that cable news networks and Congress are happier than pigs in manure: this story will dominate the news for the foreseeable future unless Angelina Jolie and Brad Pitt get back together.

But the wall-to-wall coverage of impeachment mania has also created a news desert. To those of you who would rather emigrate to North Korea than watch one more lawmaker grandstand for the cameras, I humbly offer you an oasis of news that has absolutely nothing to do with Washington intrigue.

Read More Show Less

MOSCOW (Reuters) - Russia will return three captured naval ships to Ukraine on Monday and is moving them to a handover location agreed with Kiev, Crimea's border guard service was cited as saying by Russian news agencies on Sunday.

A Reuters reporter in Crimea, which Russian annexed from Ukraine in 2014, earlier on Sunday saw coastguard boats pulling the three vessels through the Kerch Strait toward the Black Sea where they could potentially be handed over to Ukraine.

Read More Show Less

There's a joke that Joey Jones likes to use when he feels the need to ease the tension in a room or in his own head.

To calm himself down, he uses it to remind himself of the obstacles he's had to overcome. When he faces challenges today — big or small — it brings him back to a time when the stakes were higher.

Jones will feel out a room before using the line. For nearly a decade, Jones, 33, has told his story to thousands of people, given motivational speeches to NFL teams and acted alongside a three-time Academy Award-winning actor.

On Tuesday afternoon, he stood at the front of a classroom at his alma mater, Southeast Whitfield High School in Georgia. The room was crowded with about 30 honor students.

It took about 20 minutes, but Jones started to get more comfortable as the room warmed up to him. A student asked about how he deals with post-traumatic stress disorder.

"I believe in post-traumatic growth," Jones said. "That means you go through tough and difficult situations and on the back end through recovery, you learn strength."

Read More Show Less

It didn't take long for a central theme to emerge at the funeral of U.S. Marine Pfc. Joseph Livermore, an event attended by hundreds of area residents Friday at Union Cemetery in Bakersfield.

It's a theme that stems from a widespread local belief that the men and women who have served in the nation's armed forces are held in particularly high esteem here in the southern valley.

"In Bakersfield and Kern County, we celebrate our veterans like no place else on Earth," Bakersfield Chief of Police Lyle Martin told the gathering of mourners.

Read More Show Less

An Air Force Special Tactics combat controller that "delivered thousands of pounds of munition" during a close-range 2007 firefight in Afghanistan was awarded the Silver Star on Friday.

Read More Show Less