Get Task & Purpose in your inbox
Terror Attack In New York City: What We Know So Far
Just over 16 years after the Sept. 11 terrorist attacks, law enforcement officials from the New York Police Department and Federal Bureau of Investigation found themselves investigating the specter of Islamic terrorism in the shadow of the World Trade Center.
At least eight people are dead and 11 injured after a 29-year-old man in a truck plowed down a popular bike path in lower Manhattan Tuesday afternoon just after 3 p.m., traveling 20 blocks before jumping out of the vehicle while wielding a paintball gun and pellet gun, according to officials. Witnesses told Task & Purpose they saw the truck mount a curb, mowing down a rack of Citi Bikes before colliding with a school bus carrying two adults and two children.
Upon exiting the vehicle, a white pickup truck with Home Depot markings, the man was shot and injured by police and taken into custody.
Sayfullo Habibullaevic Saipov
The suspect was later identified by law enforcement officials as Sayfullo Habibullaevic Saipov, an Uzbek national living in New Jersey who came to the United States in 2010, according to NBC New York.
Eyewitness to NYC truck attack says alleged suspect “sprinted toward the group of kids" after crashing onto bike path and hitting school bus pic.twitter.com/Sbqt4h7OYS
— ABC News (@ABC) October 31, 2017
New York City Mayor Bill de Blasio declared the incident a terror attack. "This was an act of terror," he said during a press conference at New York City Hall. "A cowardly act of terror."
The NYPD and FBI are currently investigating the incident, saying that it had the characteristics of an ISIS attack. The use of a civilian vehicle as a battering ram, CNN notes, has become a hallmark of recent ISIS-inspired attacks in cities like Paris and Barcelona; two law enforcement officials told the New York Times that the attacker was heard yelling “Allahu Akbar" by several witnesses. Authorities also reportedly found a note in the truck claiming he committed the act in support of ISIS, according to NBC New York.
Within an hour of initial reports of the incident, bystanders and reporters gathered on the corner of Chambers and Greenwich, just blocks from the new Freedom Tower. De Blasio arrived in his motorcade, preceded by his press secretary, Eric Phillips; forensic analysts from the FBI's Evidence Response Team followed shortly thereafter.
.@NYCMayor Bill de Blasio calls #NYC truck attack "a particularly cowardly act of terror aimed at innocent civilians" pic.twitter.com/8Eb0JHmCKK
— CGTN (@CGTNOfficial) October 31, 2017
Witnesses who spoke to Task & Purpose initially characterized the incident as “road rage."
John Williams, a 22-year-old New Jersey native, was walking through the Tribeca Skate Park just north of the scene when he heard “five to 10" gunshots. Instead of fleeing, he headed toward the scene, where he saw the pickup truck with Home Depot markings “with its front crumpled in."
“I arrived about 30 seconds after I hear the shots, and there were a few dozen police and emergency responders treating one person on the ground," Williams told Task & Purpose. “They had another guy on his knees who [the NYPD] was putting cuffs on … he wasn't resisting."
He added: “I could smell the gunpowder in the air."
In a press briefing Tuesday afternoon, officials confirmed that a Halloween parade in Manhattan that attracts tens of thousands of people every year and is scheduled to begin at 7 p.m. will go on as planned. "We are going to go about our business in the city; we are not going to be deterred," de Blasio said.
This is a developing story. Task & Purpose will continue to provide updates as we learn more.
The USS Eagle 56 was only five miles off the coast of Maine when it exploded.
The World War I-era patrol boat split in half, then slipped beneath the surface of the North Atlantic. The Eagle 56 had been carrying a crew of 62. Rescuers pulled 13 survivors from the water that day. It was April 23, 1945, just two weeks before the surrender of Nazi Germany.
The U.S. Navy classified the disaster as an accident, attributing the sinking to a blast in the boiler room. In 2001, that ruling was changed to reflect the sinking as a deliberate act of war, perpetuated by German submarine U-853, a u-boat belonging to Nazi Germany's Kriegsmarine.
Still, despite the Navy's effort to clarify the circumstances surrounding the sinking, the Eagle 56 lingered as a mystery. The ship had sunk relatively close to shore, but efforts to locate the wreck were futile for decades. No one could find the Eagle 56, a small patrol ship that had come so close to making it back home.
Then, a group of friends and amateur divers decided to try to find the wreck in 2014. After years of fruitless dives and intensive research, New England-based Nomad Exploration Team successfully located the Eagle 56 in June 2018.
Business Insider spoke to two crew members — meat truck driver Jeff Goodreau and Massachusetts Department of Corrections officer Donald Ferrara — about their discovery.
These CIA officers were the first US boots on the ground in Afghanistan after 9/11 — and one was 'Marine Todd'
Before the 5th Special Forces Group's Operational Detachment Alpha 595, before 160th Special Operations Aviation Regiment's MH-47E Chinooks, and before the Air Force combat controllers, there were a handful of CIA officers and a buttload of cash.
The last time the world saw Marine veteran Austin Tice, he had been taken prisoner by armed men. It was unclear whether his captors were jihadists or allies of Syrian dictator Bashar al Assad who were disguised as Islamic radicals.
Blindfolded and nearly out of breath, Tice spoke in Arabic before breaking into English:"Oh Jesus. Oh Jesus."
That was from a video posted on YouTube on Sept. 26, 2012, several weeks after Tice went missing near Damascus, Syria, while working as a freelance journalist for McClatchy and the Washington Post.
Now that Tice has been held in captivity for more than seven years, reporters who have regular access to President Donald Trump need to start asking him how he is going to bring Tice home.
"Shoots like a carbine, holsters like a pistol." That's the pitch behind the new Flux Defense system designed to transform the Army's brand new sidearm into a personal defense weapon.
Sometimes a joke just doesn't work.
For example, the Defense Visual Information Distribution Service tweeted and subsequently deleted a Gilbert Gottfried-esque misfire about the "Storm Area 51" movement.
On Friday DVIDSHUB tweeted a picture of a B-2 bomber on the flight line with a formation of airmen in front of it along with the caption: "The last thing #Millenials will see if they attempt the #area51raid today."