Man Arrested For Urinating Near White House Had A Cache Of Weapons In His Car

news

A man was arrested on the morning of Sept. 22 near the White House after a cache of arms were found in his car, reports CNN. Police reportedly uncovered the stockpile of weapons after encountering the suspect allegedly urinated outside a nearby art gallery and subsequently searching his vehicle.


The man, identified as Timothy Joseph Bates, 37, of Collierville, Tennessee, was stopped by police at 7:15 a.m. near 17th Street and Pennsylvania Avenue — a block from the White House — reportedly told Secret Service Uniformed Division officers that he was in the area to speak with the director of the National Security Agency, Navy Adm. Mike Rogers, and Secretary of Defense James Mattis.

According to an incident report provided to CNN, the man was seeking “advice on missing paychecks and how to get the chip out of my head."

After he admitted to police to possessing multiple weapons in his car — a 2009 Nissan, with Fraternal Order of Police license plates, though it's unclear at this time if the man was known to police — the man agreed to let law enforcement officers search his vehicle.

Related: Army Vet Faces Charges For Peeing On An Entire Family At A Metallica Concert »

The search turned up brass knuckles, three knifes, and numerous firearms, as well as suppressors and ammunition. According to The Washington Post weapons included: “a Glock handgun, a Rossi .357, a .40-caliber Smith & Wesson, a Bushmaster M4 assault-style weapon, a Tec-9 with a silencer, an XD-S .45-caliber handgun, a Norinco AK-47, numerous rounds of ammunition, a folding knife, a blackjack and brass knuckles.”

The man was transported to a D.C. facility for “mental observation” and later taken to a local police station, where he was charged with numerous weapons violations.

Seeing as the a fella arrested for going No. 1 outside of the White House wanted to chat with two high-ranking defense officials, it’s possible he may have missed a golden opportunity to chat with the administration’s de facto No. 2 — retired Marine Gen. John Kelly.

According to a Sept. 22 Washington Post report, the White House chief of staff has recently taken to conducting roving patrols of the grounds, where he checks up on Secret Service agents to see if they have what they need — a holdover from his Marine Corps days, no doubt.

Given the excitement of the morning, it’d be interesting to know what Kelly thought of the duty logbook entry that day — and whether or not an unsuspecting 8th and I Marine was put on a working party to clean up the, uh, mess.

WATCH NEXT:

Army and Air Force Exchange Service officials are warning soldiers and military families to be aware of scammers using the Exchange's logo.

In a news release Wednesday, Exchange officials said scammers using the name "Exchange Inc." have "fooled" soldiers and airmen to broker the sale of used cars, trucks, motorcycles, boats and boat engines.

Read More Show Less

KABUL (Reuters) - The Islamic State (IS) militant group claimed responsibility on Sunday for a suicide blast at a wedding reception in Afghanistan that killed 63 people, underlining the dangers the country faces even if the Taliban agrees a pact with the United States.

The Saturday night attack came as the Taliban and the United States try to negotiate an agreement on the withdrawal of U.S. forces in exchange for a Taliban commitment on security and peace talks with Afghanistan's U.S.-backed government.

Islamic State fighters, who first appeared in Afghanistan in 2014 and have since made inroads in the east and north, are not involved in the talks. They are battling government and U.S.-led international forces and the Taliban.

The group, in a statement on the messaging website Telegram, claimed responsibility for the attack at a west Kabul wedding hall in a minority Shi'ite neighborhood, saying its bomber had been able to infiltrate the reception and detonate his explosives in the crowd of "infidels".

Read More Show Less
U.S. Air Force/Tech. Sgt. Brian Kimball

Editor's Note: This article by Oriana Pawlyk originally appeared on Military.com, a leading source of news for the military and veteran community.

Calling aviation geeks in New York City: The British are coming.

In their first visit to the United States since 2008, the Royal Air Force "Red Arrows" will perform an aerial demonstration next week over the Hudson River, according to an Air Force news release. F-35 Joint Strike Fighters, the Air Force Thunderbirds and Navy Blue Angels demonstration teams will also be part of the show.

Read More Show Less
U.S. Air National Guard/Staff Sgt. Michelle Y. Alvarez-Rea

Frances and Efrain Santiago, natives of Puerto Rico, wanted to show their support last month for protesters back home seeking to oust the island's governor.

The couple flew the flag of Puerto Rico on the garage of their Kissimmee home. It ticked off the homeowners association.

Someone from the Rolling Hills Estates Homeowners Association left a letter at their home, citing a "flag violation" and warning: "Please rectify the listed violation or you may incur a fine."

Frances Santiago, 38, an Army veteran, demanded to know why.

Read More Show Less
Todd Rosenberg/AP

A West Point graduate received a waiver from the U.S. Army to sign with the Philadelphia Eagles on Friday, and play in the NFL while serving as an active-duty soldier.

The waiver for 2nd Lt. Brett Toth was first reported by ESPN's Adam Schefter, who said that Toth signed a three-year deal with the Eagles. Toth graduated from the U.S. Military Academy in 2018.

Read More Show Less