Get Task & Purpose in your inbox
Marine Corps confirms two 7-ton trucks collided in August, sending 30 Marines to the hospital
Editor's note: This article by Gina Harkins originally appeared on Military.com, a leading source of news for the military and veteran community.
The Marine Corps never publicly announced the high-casualty mishap, despite the fact that it came just weeks after a member of the same unit was paralyzed during a live-fire exercise.
The incident was confirmed to Military.com by 1st Lt. Cameron Edinburgh, a spokesman with 1st Marine Division.
"[Twenty-nine] of the Marines were cleared and released from the hospital the same day while one stayed overnight and was released the following day," Edinburgh said.
The injured Marines were members of the New York-based Charlie Company, 1st Battalion, 25th Marines, according to several sources familiar with events.
At least one of the injured was airlifted out of Twentynine Palms over concerns of serious injuries following the crash, one source said. All spoke to Military.com on the condition of anonymity, because they weren't authorized to discuss the accident, for which the investigation remains ongoing.
"We were really worried that some of our friends might've died," one Marine said. "The front ends of the 7-tons were just completely destroyed."
This was the second major mishap in 19 days for the Reserve infantry company, which was training at Twentynine Palms in preparation for an upcoming deployment to the Asia-Pacific region. On July 28, a lance corporal with the unit was paralyzed from the neck down after he was shot during a live-fire event.
That incident also was not disclosed by the Marine Corps, and didn't become public until it appeared weeks later in a report from the Naval Safety Center, which tracks major accidents, injuries and mishaps.
They also declined to address questions about whether the infantry company was cleared to deploy after the two accidents during their workup.
"No additional information is available at this time," Edinburgh said.
This article originally appeared on Military.com
It didn't take long for a central theme to emerge at the funeral of U.S. Marine Pfc. Joseph Livermore, an event attended by hundreds of area residents Friday at Union Cemetery in Bakersfield.
It's a theme that stems from a widespread local belief that the men and women who have served in the nation's armed forces are held in particularly high esteem here in the southern valley.
"In Bakersfield and Kern County, we celebrate our veterans like no place else on Earth," Bakersfield Chief of Police Lyle Martin told the gathering of mourners.
ROCKFORD — Delta Force sniper Sgt. First Class James P. McMahon's face was so badly battered and cut, "he looked like he was wearing a fright mask" as he stood atop a downed Black Hawk helicopter and pulled free the body of a fellow soldier from the wreckage.
That's the first description of McMahon in the book by journalist Mark Bowden called "Black Hawk Down: A Story of Modern War." It is a detailed account of the horrific Battle of the Black Sea fought in the streets of Mogadishu, Somalia, in October 1993. It claimed the lives of 18 elite American soldiers.
Navy SEAL Eddie Gallagher will retire as a chief petty officer now that President Donald Trump has restored his rank.
"Before the prosecution of Special Warfare Operator First Class Edward Gallagher, he had been selected for promotion to Senior Chief, awarded a Bronze Star with a "V" for valor, and assigned to an important position in the Navy as an instructor," a White House statement said.
"Though ultimately acquitted on all of the most serious charges, he was stripped of these honors as he awaited his trial and its outcome. Given his service to our Nation, a promotion back to the rank and pay grade of Chief Petty Officer is justified."
The announcement that Gallagher is once again an E-7 effectively nullifies the Navy's entire effort to prosecute Gallagher for allegedly committing war crimes. It is also the culmination of Trump's support for the SEAL throughout the legal process.
On July 2, military jurors found Gallagher not guilty of premeditated murder and attempted murder for allegedly stabbing a wounded ISIS fighter to death and opening fire at an old man and a young girl on separate occasions during his 2017 deployment to Iraq.