Feds charge ex-Marine with bringing AK-47, body armor and ammo onto Coast Guard base

news
Dustin A. Peters (Cape May County Sheriff's Office)

A former Marine arrested as he tried to enter the U.S. Coast Guard Training Center in Cape May with a modified AK-47 rifle, handgun, body armor and ammunition faces federal weapons charges, officials said Friday.


Dustin Peters, 25, was initially charged with state offenses after security personnel discovered the arsenal in his car during a routine search at a gate of the Coast Guard facility Jan. 9, according to authorities. He was re-arrested on federal charges of unlawful possession of a firearm in a federal facility and one count of unlawful interstate transport of a machine gun.

A base security officer saw hollow point ammunition in his car during the check, leading to a further search of his Jeep, federal authorities said.

In the trunk, Coast Guard security personnel found a loaded 9mm semi-automatic pistol, loaded with seven live rounds, including one round in the chamber, an FBI agent wrote in a criminal complaint. The AK-47 and several magazines were in the same area.

Peters gave police permission to continue searching the vehicle, according to the complaint. A bayonet knife, hatchet, gas mask, ballistic vest, fire resistant hood, a medical kit, flare gun and numerous types of ammunition were among items authorities said were recovered during the search.

In an interview with police, Peters said he loaded the items in his vehicle and drove from North Carolina, through Virginia to Cape May for a "family event" at the Coast Guard base.

Though he claimed to have no permanent residence, Peters was last lived in Wilmington, North Carolina.

Peters also told police he bought the AK-47 rifle in Virginia, but modified the weapon to fire fully automatic, according to the FBI agent's account. He admitted to knowing the modifications were illegal.

During questioning, Peters also said his father warned him against taking the weapons onto the Coast Guard base, authorities said.

"Peters acknowledged that he did not listen, stating that he knew it was possible that he may be stopped, but was not expecting that to actually happen," an agent wrote in the complaint.

After his arrest, Cape May County authorities said Peters was planning to attend a graduation at the base and it was unclear why he arrived with the weapons.

"The Coast Guard has no reason to believe that this individual is a threat to the command or local community and we will continue to work to keep our community safe," the agency said in a statement last week.

Cape May County jail records show Peters remained in custody on state weapons offenses. He was scheduled to appear in Camden federal court Tuesday. Attorney information for him was not immediately listed.

Noah Cohen may be reached at ncohen@njadvancemedia.com. Follow him on Twitter @noahyc. Find NJ.com on Facebook.

Have a tip? Tell us: nj.com/tips. Get the latest updates right in your inbox. Subscribe to NJ.com's newsletters.

———

©2020 NJ Advance Media Group, Edison, N.J.

Distributed by Tribune Content Agency, LLC.

A soldier reunites with his daughter at Fort Bragg, N.C. after returning from the Middle East. The 82nd Airborne Division's Immediate Response Force had been deployed since New Years Eve. Thursday, Feb. 20, 2020. (U.S. Army via Associated Press)

Some Fort Bragg paratroopers who left for the Middle East on a no-notice deployment last month came home Thursday.

About 3,500 soldiers with the 82nd Airborne Division's 1st Brigade Combat Team were sent to Kuwait beginning Jan. 1 as tensions were rising in the region. The first soldiers were in the air within 18 hours of being told to go.

Read More
In this June 16, 2018 photo, Taliban fighters greet residents in the Surkhroad district of Nangarhar province, east of Kabul, Afghanistan, (AP Photo/Rahmat Gul)

KABUL/WASHINGTON/PESHAWAR, Pakistan (Reuters) - The United States and the Taliban will sign an agreement on Feb. 29 at the end of a week long period of violence reduction in Afghanistan, U.S. Secretary of State Mike Pompeo and the Taliban said on Friday.

Read More
A developmental, early variant of the Common Unmanned Surface Vehicle (CUSV) autonomously conducts maneuvers on the Elizabeth River during its demonstration during Citadel Shield-Solid Curtain 2020 at Naval Station Norfolk on Feb. 12, 2020. (U.S. Navy/Mass Communication Specialist 3rd Class Rebekah M. Rinckey)

Large cargo ships, small fishing boats and other watercraft sail safely past Naval Station Norfolk every day, but there's always a possibility that terrorists could use any one of them to attack the world's largest naval base.

While Navy security keeps a close eye on every vessel that passes, there's an inherent risk for the sailors aboard small patrol boats who are tasked with helping keep aircraft carriers, submarines and destroyers on base safe from waterborne attacks.

So the Navy experimented Wednesday to test whether an unmanned vessel could stop a small boat threatening the base from the Elizabeth River.

Read More
(Nancy Turner via Raleigh News & Observer)

Nancy Turner's modern version of keeping a candle in the window while her soldier son is away is a string of electric lights on the front porch that burn red, white and blue.

But where Turner sees patriotism and support for the troops, her Garner homeowners association sees a covenant violation and a potential $50-per-day fine.

Turner was surprised to receive a threatening email last week after an employee from Sentry Management, which manages the Sheldon Place HOA, spotted the illegal illumination during a neighborhood patrol.

"I honestly had no idea it would be a problem," Turner said.

The HOA did not immediately respond to a request for comment sent as a message through its Facebook page.

Read More
U.S. soldiers inspect the site where an Iranian missile hit at Ain al-Asad air base in Anbar province, Iraq January 13, 2020. (REUTERS/John Davison)

In the wee hours of Jan. 8, Tehran retaliated over the U.S. killing of Iran's most powerful general by bombarding the al-Asad air base in Iraq.

Among the 2,000 troops stationed there was U.S. Army Specialist Kimo Keltz, who recalls hearing a missile whistling through the sky as he lay on the deck of a guard tower. The explosion lifted his body - in full armor - an inch or two off the floor.

Keltz says he thought he had escaped with little more than a mild headache. Initial assessments around the base found no serious injuries or deaths from the attack. U.S. President Donald Trump tweeted, "All is well!"

The next day was different.

"My head kinda felt like I got hit with a truck," Keltz told Reuters in an interview from al-Asad air base in Iraq's western Anbar desert. "My stomach was grinding."

Read More