Get Task & Purpose in your inbox
The next Marine commandant fires back at calls to disband MARSOC
The general nominated to lead the Marine Corps defended his service's place within U.S. Special Operations Command after a think tank urged service leaders to ditch the mission.
Lt. Gen. David Berger told lawmakers this week that Marine Raiders are vital to U.S. Special Operations Command. He was responding to questions from Sen. Richard Blumenthal, a Connecticut Democrat, about a recent report from the Heritage Foundation think tank, which promoted disbanding Marine Corps Forces Special Operations Command.
MARSOC, which was created years after the other services stood up their special operations units, "developed further and faster than most thought possible," Berger said.
"We operate sort of as a joint force every day with the aviation, logistics and ground forces," he told members of the Senate Armed Services Committee. "So, it's a natural fit for them.
"I think that Special Operations Command and the joint force is better for them there," he added.
Dakota Wood, a senior research fellow at the Heritage Foundation and a retired Marine officer, released a report last month called "Rebuilding America's Military: The United States Marine Corps." The Marine Corps, he argued, must focus on a full return to its amphibious roots. Any programs that pull manpower or other resources from that mission should be realigned.
The idea prompted a swift rebuttal from veterans who'd served in the Marine Raider community.
Berger, who previously served in reconnaissance units, said the small unit leadership the special operations community depends on is a natural fit coming from the Marine Corps. The Marine Corps' 2020 budget request calls for increasing the number of billets assigned to the 13-year-old command.
That's not to say there isn't room for each service to look at what they need to provide to SOCOM going forward. MARSOC spokesman Maj. Nick Mannweiler said last month that Wood's recommendations were "one aspect of a much broader conversation on Marine Corps and joint operations in response to our evolving national security challenges."
This article originally appeared on Military.com
More articles from Military.com:
- 'Treated like Second-Class Citizens': Female Marine Reflects on Her Career
- Calif. Air National Guard Removes Commander Over Threats Against Whistleblowers
- US Military Is America's Heaviest-Drinking Profession, Survey Finds
SEE ALSO: MARSOC Marine Dies In Training Accident
WATCH NEXT: MARSOC Tactical Driving And Shooting Course
A former sailor who was busted buying firearms with his military discount and then reselling some of them to criminals is proving to be a wealth of information for federal investigators.
Julio Pino used his iPhone to record most, if not all, of his sales, court documents said. He even went so far as to review the buyers' driver's license on camera.
It is unclear how many of Pino's customer's now face criminal charges of their own. Federal indictments generally don't provide that level of detail and Assistant U.S. Attorney William B. Jackson declined to comment.
It all began with a medical check.
Carson Thomas, a healthy and fit 20-year-old infantryman who had joined the Army after a brief stint in college, figured he should tell the medics about the pain in his groin he had been feeling. It was Feb. 12, 2012, and the senior medic looked him over and decided to send him to sick call at the base hospital.
It seemed almost routine, something the Army doctors would be able to diagnose and fix so he could get back to being a grunt.
Now looking back on what happened some seven years later, it was anything but routine.
The US military now has to ask the Iraqis for permission before giving close air support to troops in combat
U.S. forces must now ask the Iraqi military for permission to fly in Iraqi airspace before coming to the aid of U.S. troops under fire, a top military spokesman said.
However, the mandatory approval process is not expected to slow down the time it takes the U.S. military to launch close air support and casualty evacuation missions for troops in the middle of a fight, said Army Col. James Rawlinson, a spokesman for Combined Joint Task Force-Operation Inherent Resolve.
Army Spc. Clayton James Horne died in Saudi Arabia on Aug. 17, making him the eighth non-combat fatality for Operation Inherent Resolve so far this year, defense officials have announced.
Horne, 23, was assigned to the 351st Military Police Company, 160th Military Police Battalion, an Army Reserve unit based in Ocala, Florida, a Pentagon news release says.
The soldier who was arrested for taking an armored personnel carrier on a slow-speed police chase through Virginia has been found not guilty by reason of insanity on two charges, according to The Richmond-Times Dispatch.
Joshua Phillip Yabut, 30, entered a plea of not guilty by reason of insanity for unauthorized use of a motor vehicle — in this case, a 12-ton APC taken from Fort Pickett in June 2018 — and violating the terms of his bond, which stemmed from a trip to Iraq he took in March 2019 (which was not a military deployment).