Get Task & Purpose in your inbox
'Get over it' — Marine Corps training chief says he's open to ending gender-segregated boot camp
MARINE CORPS BASE QUANTICO, Va. -- The Marine Corps could train as many as eight co-ed companies at boot camp each year, and the general overseeing the effort is hitting back against those complaining that the move is lowering training standards.
"Get over it," Maj. Gen. William Mullen, the head of Training and Education Command told Military.com on Thursday. "We're still making Marines like we used to. That has not changed."
Mullen, a career infantry officer who has led troops in combat — including in Fallujah, Iraq — said Marines have likely been complaining about falling standards since 1775.
"I'm assuming that the second Marine walking into Tun Tavern was like 'You know ... our standards have gone down. They're just not the same as it they used to be,'" Mullen said, referring to the service's famous birthplace. "That has always been going on in the history of the Marine Corps."
The Marine Corps is currently training its second and third co-ed companies at its East Coast recruit depot in Parris Island, South Carolina, where men and women have historically been separated.
Some have suggested the move will destroy the Marine Corps. Others have called it disgusting, or said the all-male West Coast recruit depot remains the only true Marine Corps boot camp.
Commandant Gen. David Berger told Military.com this summer that Marines should expect more co-ed recruit training companies to move through Parris Island. And while Marine Corps Recruit Depot San Diego remains an all-male facility, Berger said he'd "look at what makes sense" on both coasts.
Each of the co-ed companies is made up of six platoons -- one of which is all-female, and the other five all-male. That's the same model used by 3rd Recruit Training Battalion's India Company, the first-ever co-ed company to graduate from Parris Island earlier this year.
Mullen said the company's performance was on par with all-male or all-female companies.
"If anything, it went a little better because there's a little bit more competition with [each platoon] going, 'No, we need to beat them,' or 'We can't let them beat us,'" he said. "So there was a little bit of that effect. But other than that, there was no real difference."
Mullen recently directed the Marine Corps to commission an academic study on gender-integrated boot camp. He said it's important that the Marine Corps get an independent study of its enlisted entry-level training model to see if they have it right.
"How do you get to something that people just can't argue with?" he said. "... If an independent study, not affiliated with the Marine Corps, comes in and takes a hard, honest look at things in an unbiased way, how do you argue with that?"
The men and women in the co-ed companies at Parris Island spend most of the first phase of boot camp, which runs the first four weeks, training at the platoon level. That means the all-female platoon mostly trains without men under the direction of women drill instructors.
That's by design, Mullen said, because it's important to establish a sense of teamwork at the platoon level. Once the recruits hit their second training phase when they hit the rifle range, take hikes, and practice land navigation or maneuver-under-fire-movements, he said the company trains as one a lot more.
"We think we have it right ... but how much of that is our own biases?" Mullen said. "How much of that is a 'we invented it here' kind of thing?"
Mullen said he's hoping the study -- which will look at how the other services train recruits, the costs associated with different training models, and how co-ed boot camp might affect a person's decision to join the Marine Corps -- will give them an objective view.
And if it shows the Marine Corps doesn't have the right idea when it comes to separating male and female recruits, at least at the start of their training, he said they'll adjust.
"We'd have to take a good hard look at it and say, 'OK, well, what are we going to do about it now?'" Mullen said.
This article originally appeared on Military.com
More articles from Military.com:
The U.S. Space Force has a name tape for uniforms now. Get excited people.
In a tweet from its official account, the Space Force said its uniform name tapes have "touched down in the Pentagon," sharing a photo of it on the chest of Gen. John W. Raymond, the newly-minted Chief of Space Operations for the new service branch nested in the Department of the Air Force.
PALM BEACH, Fla. (Reuters) - U.S. President Donald Trump gave a minute-to-minute account of the U.S. drone strikes that killed Iranian military commander Qassem Soleimani in remarks to a Republican fund-raising dinner on Friday night, according to audio obtained by CNN.
With his typical dramatic flourish, Trump recounted the scene as he monitored the strikes from the White House Situation Room when Soleimani was killed.
The U.S. Navy will name its fourth Ford-class aircraft carrier after Doris Miller, an iconic World War II sailor recognized for his heroism during the Pearl Harbor attack, according to reports in The Honolulu Star-Advertiser and U.S. Naval Institute News.
Acting Navy Secretary Thomas Modly is expected to announce the naming of CVN-81 during a ceremony on Monday in Pearl Harbor, Hawaii, according to USNI. Two of Miller's nieces are expected to be there, according to the Star-Advertiser.
Two immigrants, a pastor and an Army sergeant have been convicted of conspiracy to commit marriage fraud as part of an illegal immigration scheme, according to federal prosecutors.
Rajesh Ramcharan, 45; Diann Ramcharan, 37; Sgt. Galima Murry, 31; and the Rev. Ken Harvell, 60, were found guilty Thursday after a nine-day jury trial, according to a news release from the U.S. attorney's office in Colorado.
The conspiracy involved obtaining immigration benefits for Rajesh Ramcharan, Diann Ramcharan, and one of their minor children, the release said. A married couple in 2007 came to the U.S. from Trinidad and Tobago on visitor visas. They overstayed the visas and settled in Colorado.
DUBAI (Reuters) - Iran said on Saturday it was sending to Ukraine the black boxes from a Ukrainian passenger plane that the Iranian military shot down this month, an accident that sparked unrest at home and added to pressure on Tehran from abroad.
Iran's Tasnim news agency also reported the authorities were prepared for experts from France, Canada and the United States to examine information from the data and voice recorders of the Ukraine International Airlines plane that came down on Jan. 8.
The plane disaster, in which all 176 aboard were killed, has added to international pressure on Iran as it grapples with a long running row with the United States over its nuclear program that briefly erupted into open conflict this month.