Get Task & Purpose in your inbox
A new measure would end gender segregation at Marine Corps boot camp for good
Marine Corps senior leaders have begun to express cautious openness to the idea of making the service's boot camps fully co-ed. But if Congress has its way, the service may be pushed toward full integration sooner than expected.
The final conference version of the 2020 National Defense Authorization Act includes a provision that would require the service to integrate both its East Coast and West Coast entry-level training facilities within the next eight years.
According to the provision, the Corps would be required to end any segregation based on gender at Marine Corps Recruit Depot Parris Island, South Carolina, within five years of the bill's enactment. At Marine Corps Recruit Depot San Diego, which has never trained female recruits, the service would have eight years to reach full integration.
The provision was introduced earlier this year by Rep. Jackie Speier, D-California, a vocal proponent of women in the service. It survived the committee conference process and now faces a vote in the House and Senate; passage is expected.
The Marine Corps is the only military service that still separates recruits by gender during parts of the training process. Historically, service leaders have said this practice eliminates distraction and facilitates stronger bonding and mentorship roles in the early phases of boot camp.
But the head of Marine Corps Training and Education Command, Maj. Gen. William Mullen, told Military.com in a November interview that he was open to the idea of ending gender segregation, if the data supported it.
Mullen has called for a Marine Corps-commissioned academic study on a gender-integrated boot camp model to gather findings on the potential impacts of such a change before making a decision.
In March, the Marine Corps graduated its first co-ed company at Parris Island in a limited experiment. Platoons within the company were still divided by gender. Mullen said in the interview that study will continue, with as many as eight co-ed companies graduating from Parris Island over the next year.
"We think we have it right ... but how much of that is our own biases?" Mullen said. "How much of that is a 'we invented it here' kind of thing?"
This article originally appeared on Military.com
More articles from Military.com:
- Sergeants to Man Keyboards as Cyberattack Threat Looms over Election
- Documentary Follows Force Recon Marine's Raw Struggles After War
- Wisconsin National Guard Leader Resigns in Wake of Sex Assault Review
An internal investigation spurred by a nude photo scandal shows just how deep sexism runs in the Marine Corps
"I will still have to work harder to get the perception away from peers and seniors that women can't do the job."
About a dozen more US troops medevaced from Iraq over possible concussions following Iran's missile attack
In a Galaxy — err, I mean, on a military base far, far away, soldiers are standing in solidarity with galactic freedom fighters.
Sitting at the top of an Army press release from March 2019, regarding the East Africa Response Force's deployment to Gabon, the photo seems, at first glance, just like any other: Soldiers on the move.
But if you look closer at the top right, you'll find something spectacular: A Rebel Alliance flag.
The first of the CMV-22B Osprey tiltrotor aircraft the Navy plans on adopting as its carrier onboard delivery (COD) aircraft of choice has successfully completed its first flight operations, manufacturer Boeing announced on Tuesday.
Another 300 lawsuits against 3M flooded federal courts this month as more military veterans accuse the behemoth manufacturer of knowingly making defective earplugs that caused vets to lose hearing during combat in Iraq or Afghanistan or while training on U.S. military bases.
On another front, 3M also is fighting lawsuits related to a class of chemicals known as PFAS, with the state of Michigan filing a lawsuit last week against the Maplewood-based company.
To date, nearly 2,000 U.S. veterans from Minnesota to California and Texas have filed more than 1,000 lawsuits.
GENEVA (Reuters) - North Korea said on Tuesday it was no longer bound by commitments to halt nuclear and missile testing, blaming the United States' failure to meet a year-end deadline for nuclear talks and "brutal and inhumane" U.S. sanctions.
North Korean leader Kim Jong Un set an end-December deadline for denuclearization talks with the United States and White House national security adviser Robert O'Brien said at the time the United States had opened channels of communication.
O'Brien said then he hoped Kim would follow through on denuclearization commitments he made at summits with U.S. President Donald Trump.