Get Task & Purpose in your inbox
Camp Pendleton's Darkhorse Battalion is getting a permanent memorial
LAGUNA HILLS — A plan to create a permanent monument for Camp Pendleton's 3rd Battalion/5th Marines — a unit Laguna Hills adopted in 2008 — is moving forward.
The battalion, known as Darkhorse, is celebrated each year during the city's annual Memorial Day Half Marathon, which raises funds for Team Darkhorse, a community group that supports the battalion's Marines and their families. During the race, banners of the 25 Darkhorse Marines killed during a 2010 deployment to Afghanistan are displayed along the route, on city streets.
On Tuesday, July 9, the Laguna Hills City Council voted unanimously to start researching the design, fabrication, and installation of a permanent memorial for the battalion. City officials will get feedback on how the memorial might look and how it will be constructed.
The memorial will be located at a prominent spot near City Hall once it is completed.
"We've been supportive of the 3/5 for so long," said Councilman Dore Gilbert, whose son served in the Marine Corps. "We thought we'd like a permanent memorial. We thought it would be the right thing to do."
It's unclear, at this stage, what the cost of the monument will be, he said.
The city first supported the battalion with $10,000 to help Team Darkhorse start as a nonprofit. Since then it has given the community group $3 for every registered runner during the Memorial Day race. That has amounted to about $10,000 annually.
Just after the battalion was adopted by the city, it endured one of its most devastating deployments.
On Sept. 27, 2010, the 3/5 deployed to Sangin, a hotbed for Taliban fighters and drug traffickers in Afghanistan. The Marines were tasked with clearing out the Taliban in that region.
During the battalion's seven-month deployment, the unit commanded by then-Lt. Col. Jason Morris, suffered the highest casualty rate of any Marine unit in Afghanistan. By the end of the deployment, 25 Marines had been killed and nearly 200 were injured. About three dozen Marines lost a limb.
It was the costliest deployment of a Marine combat unit since Vietnam.
Mike Bland, who in 2010 was among the founders of Team Darkhorse, said he was happy to learn of the council's intention.
"Seeing all the support that has grown over the years, it warms my heart to see you are considering this memorial," Bland wrote in an email that was read during public comments at the City Council meeting. "I have been very involved in two past memorials for the 3/5 — the Portable Memorial located in the command building of the 3/5 honoring the 25 KIA and the Memorial Deck located by the 5th Regiment Chapel — all at Camp Pendleton. I support this recommendation 100% and offer any assistance on helping with this wonderful recommendation."
Karen Robbins, chairwoman of the community support group, also was pleased.
"Southern California communities are relatively young and do not have a history of erecting memorials to servicemen or women like may be seen in other states," she said Thursday, July 11. "A memorial which honors the heroics of the 3rd Battalion/5th Marines will be an important and historical reminder to all who live or pass through our city of the tremendous dedication, resolve, commitment, courage and sacrifice by these Marines. It would be an honor to have a memorial in their name in our city. Everyone would benefit."
Robbins said a memorial would have dual benefits: It would serve as a permanent reminder of the city's support for the Marines and their families, and it would be an opportunity to continue to build bonds.
"All of us in the committee are committed but none of us lives forever," Robbins said. "We would all love to see a permanent memorial to the battalion that will endure well into the future."
©2019 The Orange County Register (Santa Ana, Calif.). Distributed by Tribune Content Agency, LLC.
SEE ALSO: Don't Believe The Social Media Rumors: Camp Pendleton's 'Darkhorse Marines' Aren't Dying In Afghanistan
WATCH NEXT: 956 Days Becoming a Marine
Army and Air Force Exchange Service officials are warning soldiers and military families to be aware of scammers using the Exchange's logo.
In a news release Wednesday, Exchange officials said scammers using the name "Exchange Inc." have "fooled" soldiers and airmen to broker the sale of used cars, trucks, motorcycles, boats and boat engines.
KABUL (Reuters) - The Islamic State (IS) militant group claimed responsibility on Sunday for a suicide blast at a wedding reception in Afghanistan that killed 63 people, underlining the dangers the country faces even if the Taliban agrees a pact with the United States.
The Saturday night attack came as the Taliban and the United States try to negotiate an agreement on the withdrawal of U.S. forces in exchange for a Taliban commitment on security and peace talks with Afghanistan's U.S.-backed government.
Islamic State fighters, who first appeared in Afghanistan in 2014 and have since made inroads in the east and north, are not involved in the talks. They are battling government and U.S.-led international forces and the Taliban.
The group, in a statement on the messaging website Telegram, claimed responsibility for the attack at a west Kabul wedding hall in a minority Shi'ite neighborhood, saying its bomber had been able to infiltrate the reception and detonate his explosives in the crowd of "infidels".
Calling aviation geeks in New York City: The British are coming.
In their first visit to the United States since 2008, the Royal Air Force "Red Arrows" will perform an aerial demonstration next week over the Hudson River, according to an Air Force news release. F-35 Joint Strike Fighters, the Air Force Thunderbirds and Navy Blue Angels demonstration teams will also be part of the show.
Frances and Efrain Santiago, natives of Puerto Rico, wanted to show their support last month for protesters back home seeking to oust the island's governor.
The couple flew the flag of Puerto Rico on the garage of their Kissimmee home. It ticked off the homeowners association.
Someone from the Rolling Hills Estates Homeowners Association left a letter at their home, citing a "flag violation" and warning: "Please rectify the listed violation or you may incur a fine."
Frances Santiago, 38, an Army veteran, demanded to know why.
A West Point graduate received a waiver from the U.S. Army to sign with the Philadelphia Eagles on Friday, and play in the NFL while serving as an active-duty soldier.
The waiver for 2nd Lt. Brett Toth was first reported by ESPN's Adam Schefter, who said that Toth signed a three-year deal with the Eagles. Toth graduated from the U.S. Military Academy in 2018.