The Marine Corps has fired its sixth commanding officer in just over 2 months

news

Then-Lieutenant Col. William Blanchard in May 2013

(U.S. Marine Corps/Cpl. Robert Reeves)

Editor's Note: This article by Gina Harkins originally appeared on Military.com, a leading source of news for the military and veteran community.

A Marine who oversaw the Corps' detachment at a Kansas Army base was removed from his post due last week, officials said on Thursday.

Col. William E. Blanchard, commanding officer of the Marine Corps Detachment at Fort Leavenworth, near the Missouri-Kansas border, was relieved on June 19 following an investigation, said Jessica Hanley, a spokeswoman for his parent command.

The decision was made by Brig. Gen. W.J. Bowers, the head of Marine Corps Education Command, "due to loss of trust and confidence in his ability to command," Hanley said.

"The investigation is complete," she added. "No further information is available at this time."


Blanchard could not immediately be reached for comment. Marine officials did not immediately respond to questions about when he took command of the Leavenworth detachment. His relief was first reported by Marine Corps Times.

Lt. Col. John Knutson, the detachment's executive officer, has temporarily replaced Blanchard as the commanding officer.

Blanchard is at least the sixth Marine Corps commanding officer to be relieved in just over two months. Lt. Col. James Compton, Marine All-Weather Fighter Attack Squadron 242's former commanding officer, was fired in April after his squadron was involved in a deadly refueling training mission.

Two other officers, Col. John Atkinson — head of Headquarters and Service Battalion at Quantico, Virginia -- and Col. Douglas Lemott Jr., head of Marine Corps Cyberspace Operations Group — were relieved after they were arrested in separate alleged drunk driving incidents.

Lt. Col. Francisco Zavala, was relieved in May from his job as commanding officer of 1st Reconnaissance Battalion. And Lt. Col. Nathaniel "Lips" Baker was recently relieved as commander of Marine Corps Air Station Kaneohe Bay, Hawaii, following an investigation into an off-duty incident.

The Marine detachment at Leavenworth serves the students attending the Command and General Staff College, a joint interagency college where students can complete master's degrees. The college falls under the Army University."

This article originally appeared on Military.com

More articles from Military.com:

Photo: Twitter

For an organization that is constantly shining a light on things that would rather be kept out of the public eye, the moderators of U.S. Army WTF! Moments have done a remarkably impressive job at staying anonymous.

That is, until Monday.

Read More Show Less

For U.S. service members who have fought alongside the Kurds, President Donald Trump's decision to approve repositioning U.S. forces in Syria ahead of Turkey's invasion is a naked betrayal of valued allies.

"I am ashamed for the first time in my career," one unnamed special operator told Fox News Jennifer Griffin.

In a Twitter thread that went viral, Griffin wrote the soldier told her the Kurds were continuing to support the United States by guarding tens of thousands of ISIS prisoners even though Turkey had nullified an arrangement under which U.S. and Turkish troops were conducting joint patrols in northeastern Syria to allow the Kurdish People's Protection Units, or YPG, to withdraw.

"The Kurds are sticking by us," the soldier told Griffin. "No other partner I have ever dealt with would stand by us."

Read More Show Less

Defense Secretary Mark Esper has confirmed that a nightmare scenario has come to pass: Captured ISIS fighters are escaping as a result of Turkey's invasion of Kurdish-held northeast Syria.

Turkey's incursion has led to "the release of many dangerous ISIS detainees," Esper said in a statement on Monday.

Read More Show Less
ABC News anchor Tom Llamas just before his network airs grossly inaccurate footage

Video footage of a purported "bombing of Kurd civilians" by Turkish military forces shown on ABC News appeared to be a nighttime firing of tracer rounds at a Kentucky gun range.

Read More Show Less

The U.S. military's seemingly never-ending mission supporting civil authorities along the southwestern border will last at least another year.

On Sept. 3, Defense Secretary Mark Esper approved a request from the Department of Homeland Security to provide a total of up to 5,500 troops along the border until Sept. 30, 2020, Lt. Gen. Laura Richardson, commander of U.S. Army North, said on Monday.

Read More Show Less