Marines are finally getting the grenade launcher that civilians have rocked in 'Battlefield' for a decade

Military Tech

Marines are finally getting their hands on a 40mm grenade launcher that both Army soldiers — and civilian fans of the Battlefield video game franchise — have enjoyed for a decade.


After years of testing, the Marine Corps is poised to field the M320A1 grenade launcher to infantry squads as a replacement for the underslung M203, the latest much-needed update to the service's Vietnam-era arsenal in pursuit of delicious lethality.

"The M320A1 will provide good range and accuracy, making the infantry squad more lethal," said Lt. Col. Tim Hough, program manager for Infantry Weapons in Marine Corps Systems Command's Ground Combat Element Systems, said in a Marine Corps Systems Command release.

As Military.com notes, the Army has been rocking the M320 series of bloopers for the last decade, which offers maximum effective ranges of 150 and 350 meters on point and area targets respectively and designed with a separate pistol grip for both underslung and stand-alone configurations.

"The functionality of the M320A1 makes it unique," Hough said in the release. "The mounted version of the M320A1 is a capability we're currently working on so that Marines have that option should they want it."

A handful of Marines finally received the M320 for testing back in 2017, with plans to first field the new launcher to infantry squads followed by combat engineer squads, reconnaissance teams, Light Armored Reconnaissance companies.

But, as Task & Purpose reported at the time, Marines may already have some decent experience with the M320 from their barracks staycations: after all, the M320 has been a fixture of the Battlefield franchise since its first full appearance in 2010's Battlefield 3.

The M320 is expected to make its way into Marine hands in fiscal year 2020. And remember: When you finally pick up your shiny new grenade launcher, don't forget to comment, subscribe, and smash that like button!

SEE ALSO: A History Of 'Bloopers': Rifle Grenades, 'Thumpers,' And Underslung Launchers

WATCH NEXT: How To Zero An M203, According To Medal Of Honor Recipient Flo Groberg

The Army is working on developing an alternate fitness test for soldiers with permanent injuries that prevent them from completing the new Army Combat Fitness Test.

Read More Show Less

John Wick: Chapter 3 – Parabellum only came out on May 17, but the titular hitman is already gearing up to lay siege to theaters in 2021.

On Monday, Lionsgate announced to fans in a cryptic text message that, "You have served. You will be of service. John Wick: Chapter 4 is coming May 21, 2021," according to Polygon.

Read More Show Less

In a scathing letter, a top Navy legal official on Sunday expressed "grave ethical concerns" over revelations that government prosecutors used tracking software in emails to defense lawyers in ongoing cases involving two Navy SEALs in San Diego.

The letter, written by David G. Wilson, Chief of Staff of the Navy's Defense Service Offices, requested a response by Tuesday from the Chief of the Navy's regional law offices detailing exactly what type of software was used and what it could do, who authorized it, and what controls were put in place to limit its spread on government networks.

"As our clients learn about these extraordinary events in the media, we are left unarmed with any facts to answer their understandable concerns about our ability to secure the information they must trust us to maintain. This situation has become untenable," Wilson wrote in the letter, which was obtained by Task & Purpose on Monday.

Read More Show Less
Riley Howell

Riley Howell, the Army ROTC cadet shot and killed while restraining an active shooter at UNC Charlotte on April 30, was posthumously awarded the ROTC Medal of Heroism earlier this month for his heroic sacrifice, the Army announced.

Read More Show Less
(U.S. Air National Guard/Master Sgt. Matt Hecht)

Editor's Note: This article by Hope Hodge Seck originally appeared onMilitary.com, a leading source of news for the military and veteran community.

The head of naval aviation has directed the creation of a new process for approving and reviewing pilots' call signs after two African-American aviators at an F/A-18 Hornet training squadron in Virginia filed complaints alleging racial bias in the unit, from which they said they were unfairly dismissed.

In a formal endorsement letter signed May 13, Vice Adm. DeWolfe Miller, commander of Naval Air Forces, said he found the two aviators, a Navy lieutenant and a Marine Corps captain, were correctly removed from Strike Fighter Squadron (VFA) 106 out of Naval Air Station Oceana due to "substandard performance," despite errors and inconsistencies discovered in the grading and ranking process.

However, Miller said he did find inappropriate conduct by instructor pilots who did not treat the pilots-in-training "with appropriate dignity and respect," using discriminatory call signs and having inappropriate and unprofessional discussions about them on social media.

Read More Show Less