Fired Marine lieutenant colonel accused of lying to investigators

popular
US Marine Corps

The Marine lieutenant colonel who was removed from command of 1st Reconnaissance Battalion in May is accused of lying to investigators looking into allegations of misconduct, according to a copy of his charge sheet provided to Task & Purpose on Monday.


1st Marine Division first started looking into allegations in April that Lt. Francisco Zavala had been physically and verbally abusive to his wife, who had detailed multiple instances of domestic abuse over the course of their marriage in court documents. She also filed a report with the family advocacy program, which offers counseling services to military spouses.

In addition to being charged with multiple instances of abuse, Zavala also faces charges of lying to a military investigator who was looking into those incidents, according to the charge sheet, which said that Zavala allegedly made a false official statement to a colonel (whose name is redacted) "with intent to deceive" in April that "he had never gotten physical" with his wife.

He was charged on August 8, the document says.

Zavala is also charged with conduct unbecoming an officer and a gentleman, for allegedly engaging "in harassment, and verbal, psychological, and emotional abuse" of his wife (Task & Purpose does not name victims of domestic violence).

According to the charge sheet, Zavala allegedly hit his wife with a backpack and threw his wedding ring at her in June. He is also accused of striking her in September, holding her in a bear hug in October, and in December, striking her in the face and slamming her against a wall.

In her sworn statement, Zavala's wife claimed he had struck her in the face on Dec. 23, before taking away her phone when she threatened to call 911, she wrote.

"When he let go of me I ran out of the room and across the street to the neighbor's house, who I barely knew, where I stayed overnight," she continued. Once at the neighbor's home, she wrote that she "hesitated to call the police" since she was "embarrassed, terrified, and in shock."

Zavala was also accused of "willfully and wrongfully" destroying his wife's cell phone in October, according to the charge sheet. His wife claimed in her statement he had slammed both of their iPhones to the ground "in a rage."

Zavala faces a preliminary Article 32 hearing in early October, which will determine whether he will face court-martial. He denies any wrongdoing.

During a brief telephone interview in May, Zavala told Task & Purpose that all the allegations against him were "false," but declined to answer further questions, citing an ongoing military investigation.

"As a professional, my responsibility [is to] allow the investigation to go on and in time, I'm fairly confident I'll be exonerated of everything that's being alleged against me," he said. Zavala did not respond when Task & Purpose reached out for comment on the charges last week.

In a filing in his divorce case on June 12, Zavala accused his wife of attacking him on Dec. 23, though he did not address other incidents mentioned in the charge sheet.

You can view the charge sheet below:

Photo: Twitter

For an organization that is constantly shining a light on things that would rather be kept out of the public eye, the moderators of U.S. Army WTF! Moments have done a remarkably impressive job at staying anonymous.

That is, until Monday.

Read More Show Less

For U.S. service members who have fought alongside the Kurds, President Donald Trump's decision to approve repositioning U.S. forces in Syria ahead of Turkey's invasion is a naked betrayal of valued allies.

"I am ashamed for the first time in my career," one unnamed special operator told Fox News Jennifer Griffin.

In a Twitter thread that went viral, Griffin wrote the soldier told her the Kurds were continuing to support the United States by guarding tens of thousands of ISIS prisoners even though Turkey had nullified an arrangement under which U.S. and Turkish troops were conducting joint patrols in northeastern Syria to allow the Kurdish People's Protection Units, or YPG, to withdraw.

"The Kurds are sticking by us," the soldier told Griffin. "No other partner I have ever dealt with would stand by us."

Read More Show Less

Defense Secretary Mark Esper has confirmed that a nightmare scenario has come to pass: Captured ISIS fighters are escaping as a result of Turkey's invasion of Kurdish-held northeast Syria.

Turkey's incursion has led to "the release of many dangerous ISIS detainees," Esper said in a statement on Monday.

Read More Show Less
ABC News anchor Tom Llamas just before his network airs grossly inaccurate footage

Video footage of a purported "bombing of Kurd civilians" by Turkish military forces shown on ABC News appeared to be a nighttime firing of tracer rounds at a Kentucky gun range.

Read More Show Less

The U.S. military's seemingly never-ending mission supporting civil authorities along the southwestern border will last at least another year.

On Sept. 3, Defense Secretary Mark Esper approved a request from the Department of Homeland Security to provide a total of up to 5,500 troops along the border until Sept. 30, 2020, Lt. Gen. Laura Richardson, commander of U.S. Army North, said on Monday.

Read More Show Less