Last year’s deadly crash of a Marine Corps KC-130T that killed 16 service members – including seven members of the Marine 2nd Raider Battalion – was the result of a series of oversights and other failures dating back to 2011, when one of the aircraft’s propellers was not fixed for corrosion, Military Times has reported.
Fifteen Marines and one sailor were killed on July 10, 2017, when that propeller came loose and struck the aircraft, leading to a series of mid-air catastrophes that caused the KC-130T to disintegrate over Mississippi, according to Military Times, which obtained a copy of the 2,000-page crash investigation and supplementary records.
“Neither the aircrew nor anybody aboard the KC-130T could have prevented or altered the ultimate outcome after such a failure,” according to a redacted copy of the investigation, which was released on Thursday.
It was the deadliest Marine Corps crash since 2005, when a CH-53E Super Stallion helicopter crashed in Iraq, killing 30 Marines and one sailor
The investigation found plenty of blame to go around for the July 2017 crash, starting with the civilian artisans at Warner Robins Air Logistics Complex in Georgia, who failed to do the proper maintenance on the aircraft in 2011; the Navy, which did not properly make sure the work was done properly, Military Times reported; and Marine Aerial Refueler Transport Squadron 452 for not properly checking the KC-103T’s propellers for cracks, Military Times reported.
The Air Force suspended blade maintenance operations at the Warner Robbins depot on Sept. 2, 2017, in response to the investigation, which found propellers for other Marine Corps, Navy, and Air Force C-130 variants had also not been fixed.
“Twelve of sixteen blades on the MAC [mishap aircraft] were determined to have corrosion that existed at the time of their last overhaul at WR-ALC [Warner Robins Air Logistics Complex], proving that over the course of the number of years referred to above, that WR-ALC failed to detect, remove and repair corrosion infected blades they purported to have overhauled,” the investigation found.
The Navy should have detected these problems because it was supposed to do quality checks at the depot per an agreement with the Air Force, but the investigation found no evidence that the Navy ever performed any of its required audits of the depot’s work, according to Military Times. Both services are working to fix the problems at Warner Robins that the investigation cited, but the Navy has not yet established a process to make sure that propellers are fixed properly.
“Had the QA [quality assurance] provisions of the DMISA [Depot Maintenance Inter-service Support Agreement] been properly managed and implemented by the Navy via conducting systematic and routine quality audits, numerous deficiencies within the blade overhaul process should have been identified which could have prevented the accident,” the investigation says.
The 4th Marine Aircraft Wing is addressing the deficiencies found by investigations and it expects to stop flying KC-130Ts within the next two years, wing commander Marine Brig. Gen. Bradley James told Military Times.
GREENBELT, Md. (Reuters) - A U.S. Coast Guard lieutenant accused of amassing a cache of weapons and plotting to attack Democratic politicians and journalists was ordered held for two weeks on Thursday while federal prosecutors consider charging him with more crimes.
An undated image of Hoda Muthana provided by her attorney, Hassan Shibly. (Associated Press)
Attorneys for the Constitutional Law Center for Muslims in America have filed a lawsuit against Secretary of State Mike Pompeo, Attorney General William Barr and President Donald Trump asking the court to recognize the citizenship of an Alabama woman who left the U.S. to join ISIS and allow she and her young son to return to the United States.
U.S. soldiers surveil the area during a combined joint patrol in Manbij, Syria, November 1, 2018. Picture taken November 1, 2018. (U.S. Army/Zoe Garbarino/Handout via Reuters)
WASHINGTON (Reuters) - The United States will leave "a small peacekeeping group" of 200 American troops in Syria for a period of time after a U.S. pullout, the White House said on Thursday, as President Donald Trump pulled back from a complete withdrawal.
Construction crews staged material needed for the Santa Teresa Border Wall Replacement project near the Santa Teresa Port of Entry. (U.S. Customs and Border Patrol/Mani Albrecht)
With a legal fight challenge mounting from state governments over the Trump administration's use of a national emergency to construct at the U.S.-Mexico border, the president has kicked his push for the barrier into high gear.
On Wednesday, President Trump tweeted a time-lapse video of wall construction in New Mexico; the next day, he proclaimed that "THE WALL IS UNDER CONSTRUCTION RIGHT NOW"
But there's a big problem: The footage, which was filmed more than five months ago on Sep. 18, 2018, isn't really new wall construction at all, and certainly not part of the ongoing construction of "the wall" that Trump has been haggling with Congress over.
(From left to right) Chris Osman, Chris McKinley, Kent Kroeker, and Talon Burton
A group comprised of former U.S. military veterans and security contractors who were detained in Haiti on weapons charges has been brought back to the United States and arrested upon landing, The Miami-Herald reported.
The men — five Americans, two Serbs, and one Haitian — were stopped at a Port-au-Prince police checkpoint on Sunday while riding in two vehicles without license plates, according to police. When questioned, the heavily-armed men allegedly told police they were on a "government mission" before being taken into custody.