This Marine Lost His Hand In Iraq. His Son Made Him A Prosthetic So They Could Play Catch

Community
A screenshot via ABC News shows Marine veteran Jason Frei throw a baseball with the prosthetic hand his son Robbie made for him.
ABC News

Robbie Frei was 3 when his father, Jason Frei, was injured during the 2003 invasion of Iraq. A Marine artillery officer, Jason was riding in a Humvee when the convoy was ambushed outside of Nasiriyah. He was struck with a rocket propelled grenade in the attack and lost his right hand.


Fifteen years later, his son made him a new hand so the two can play catch, ABC News reports.

A senior at Priory High School in Missouri and captain of the school’s robotics team, Robbie had already created a one-arm adapter for his father last fall, using a 3D printer through the school, so that the pair could play video games together, Fox News reported in February.

When it came time to pick his senior thesis project, Robbie, who’s been studying robotics since the seventh grade, set his sights on a new challenge: He wanted to give his dad a right hand that could throw a baseball.

Related:  This Marine Lost His Leg In Iraq. Here’s How He’s Still Serving His Country More Than A Decade Later »

The new prosthetic is modeled after his father’s working hand. Using video of himself throwing a baseball, Robbie analyzed the motion through his computer to come up with the design and the required range of motion. Then he created a 3D printout with the help of the school’s engineering team.

Before Robbie’s gift, his father could “throw a baseball with my left hand — I learned to do that — but I wasn't able to do it with my prosthetic,” Jason told ABC news. "He did all of the math and all of the design to use it to play baseball... He really kind of crossed the bridge. It was a great project.”

As for what’s next, Robbie — who’s wrapping up his sixth year on the robotics team and eyeing college prospects — will continue working with his father to improve the prosthetic hand, with plans to add a thumb joint, and a rotating wrist.

WATCH NEXT:

WASHINGTON (Reuters) - Known for acting on impulse, President Donald Trump has adopted an uncharacteristically go-slow approach to whether to hold Iran responsible for attacks on Saudi oil facilities, showing little enthusiasm for confrontation as he seeks re-election next year.

After state-owned Saudi Aramco's plants were struck on Saturday, Trump didn't wait long to fire off a tweet that the United States was "locked and loaded" to respond, and Secretary of State Mike Pompeo blamed Iran.

But four days later, Trump has no timetable for action. Instead, he wants to wait and see the results of investigations into what happened and is sending Pompeo to consult counterparts in Saudi Arabia and the United Arab Emirates this week.

Read More Show Less

That sound you're hearing is Army senior leaders exhaling a sigh of relief, because the Army has surpassed its recruiting goal for the year.

After failing to meet recruiting goals in 2018, the Army put the pedal to the metal and "did some soul searching," said Acting Army Secretary Ryan McCarthy, to ensure that they'd meet their 2019 goal. It must have paid off — the service announced on Tuesday that more than 68,000 recruits have signed on as active-duty soldiers, and more soldiers have stuck around than they expected.

Read More Show Less

Air Force Chief of Staff Gen. David Goldfein transformed into the Cigarette Smoking Man from "The X-Files" on Tuesday when explaining why UFO enthusiasts should avoid storming the mythical Area 51 installation in Nevada.

"All joking aside, we're taking it very seriously," Goldfein told reporters during the Air Force Association's annual Air, Space, and Cyber Conference. "Our nation has secrets, and those secrets deserve to be protected. The people deserve to have our nation's secrets protected."

Read More Show Less
Paul Szoldra/Task & Purpose

SAN DIEGO — A San Diego-based Navy SEAL acquitted of murder in a closely watched war crimes trial this summer has filed a lawsuit against two of his former attorneys and a military legal defense nonprofit, according to a complaint filed in federal court in Texas on Friday.

Read More Show Less

NATIONAL HARBOR, Maryland — The Air Force is reviewing whether some airmen's valor awards deserve to be upgraded to the Medal of Honor, Chief of Staff Gen. David Goldfein said on Tuesday.

Goldfein revealed that several airmen are being considered for the nation's highest military award during a press conference at the Air Force Association's annual Air, Space, and Cyber Conference. He declined to say exactly who could receive the Medal of Honor, pending the outcome of the review process.

Read More Show Less