Marine wanted for murder escaped after playing hide and seek with cops inside an RV for hours


A Marine wanted for killing his mother's boyfriend reportedly escaped police by hiding inside an RV they'd spent hours searching before towing it to a parking lot, where he escaped under the cover of darkness.

It wasn't until more than two weeks later authorities finally caught up to Michael Brown at his mom's home, which was the scene of the crime.

Brown stuffed himself into a tight spot in his camper during an hours-long search of the vehicle on Nov. 10, according to NBC affiliate WSLS in Virginia. A day earlier, cops said Brown fatally shot his mother's boyfriend, Rodney Brown. The AWOL Marine remained on the lam until Nov. 27, where he was finally apprehended without incident.

While authorities were remiss to confirm Brown was under their noses throughout their seemingly thorough search early last month, which left the recreational vehicle looking like it had been by a tornado, his lawyer reportedly confirmed the 22-year-old suspect was tucked "behind a cabinet, somewhere near the top" the whole time.

Police began their search for Brown that day around 1 a.m. after they came across the vehicle behind a church in the mountainous town of Roanoke, VA.

By 6 p.m., authorities decided to call it a day and towed the RV — with Brown still in it — to a parking lot roughly five miles away. Once they left, he came out of hiding, jumped a fence and was on the lam again. His attorney claims there's video showing him leave the parking lot.

U.S. Marshal Brad Sellers reportedly called that story of Brown's unlikely escape a "rumor" he and other marshals had heard. Cops declined to comment further on the investigation. The FBI, also involved in the manhunt, declined to comment as well.

Brown is awaiting trial for killing his mother's longtime beau, whom he grew up believing was his father, according to WSLS. Brown's lawyer claims Rodney physically and mentally abused her client as a teenager.

He reportedly left his post at North Carolina's Camp Lejeune in mid April. The Marine Corps put out a statement after Brown's arrest condemning his alleged actions and praising law enforcement.


©2019 New York Daily News

Visit New York Daily News at

Distributed by Tribune Content Agency, LLC.

Roughly a dozen U.S. troops showing concussion-related symptoms are being medically evacuated from Al-Asad Air Base in Iraq to Landstuhl Regional Medical Center in Germany, a defense official told Task & Purpose on Tuesday.

Read More

In a Galaxy — err, I mean, on a military base far, far away, soldiers are standing in solidarity with galactic freedom fighters.

Sitting at the top of an Army press release from March 2019, regarding the East Africa Response Force's deployment to Gabon, the photo seems, at first glance, just like any other: Soldiers on the move.

But if you look closer at the top right, you'll find something spectacular: A Rebel Alliance flag.

Read More
The maiden flight of the first CMV-22B Osprey took place in Amarillo, Texas (Courtesy photo)

The first of the CMV-22B Osprey tiltrotor aircraft the Navy plans on adopting as its carrier onboard delivery (COD) aircraft of choice has successfully completed its first flight operations, manufacturer Boeing announced on Tuesday.

Read More
A soldier plugs his ears during a live fire mission at Yakima Training Center. Photo: Capt. Leslie Reed/U.S. Army

Another 300 lawsuits against 3M flooded federal courts this month as more military veterans accuse the behemoth manufacturer of knowingly making defective earplugs that caused vets to lose hearing during combat in Iraq or Afghanistan or while training on U.S. military bases.

On another front, 3M also is fighting lawsuits related to a class of chemicals known as PFAS, with the state of Michigan filing a lawsuit last week against the Maplewood-based company.

To date, nearly 2,000 U.S. veterans from Minnesota to California and Texas have filed more than 1,000 lawsuits.

Read More

GENEVA (Reuters) - North Korea said on Tuesday it was no longer bound by commitments to halt nuclear and missile testing, blaming the United States' failure to meet a year-end deadline for nuclear talks and "brutal and inhumane" U.S. sanctions.

North Korean leader Kim Jong Un set an end-December deadline for denuclearization talks with the United States and White House national security adviser Robert O'Brien said at the time the United States had opened channels of communication.

O'Brien said then he hoped Kim would follow through on denuclearization commitments he made at summits with U.S. President Donald Trump.

Read More