A Marine Recruit In San Diego Died After A Medical Emergency

news
Marine Corps Body Bearers with Bravo Company, Marine Barracks Washington D.C., fold the National Flag during a full honors funeral at Arlington National Cemetery, Va., Sept. 13, 2017.
Marine Corps/ Lance Cpl. Damon Mclean.

A Marine recruit who experienced an unspecified medical emergency during boot camp in San Diego has died, Corps officials announced on Sunday.


The recruit, whose name has not been released, was pronounced dead at 11:43 am on Sunday at an off-base medical facility, according to the recruit depot. A drill instructor responded to the recruit’s medical emergency around midnight on March 24, giving him CPR until the first responders arrived.

Medical officials are determining how the recruit died, a recruit depot news release says. Although it is unknown what caused the recruit’s medical emergency, he was being monitored due to “ongoing physical health issues.”

“Supporting the recruit's family is our top priority and we continue to work closely with them during this most difficult time,” Brig. Gen. William Jurney, commanding general of the recruit depot, said in a news release.

WATCH NEXT:

New London — Retired four-star general John Kelly said that as President Donald Trump's chief of staff, he pushed back against the proposal to deploy U.S. troops to the southern border, arguing at the time that active-duty U.S. military personnel typically don't deploy or operate domestically.

"We don't like it," Kelly said in remarks at the Coast Guard Academy on Thursday night. "We see that as someone else's job meaning law enforcement."

Read More Show Less
Photo: Iran

Editor's Note: This article originally appeared on Business Insider.

Yemen's Houthi rebel group, part of a regional network of militants backed by Iran, claims to be behind the drone strikes on two Saudi oil facilities that have the potential to disrupt global oil supplies.

A report from the United Nations Security Council published in January suggests that Houthi forces have obtained more powerful drone weaponry than what was previously available to them, and that the newer drones have the capability to travel greater distances and inflict more harm.

Read More Show Less

Editor's Note: This article by Matthew Cox originally appeared on Military.com, a leading source of news for the military and veteran community.

The U.S. Air Force has selected two companies to make an extreme cold-weather boot for pilots as part of a long-term effort to better protect aviators from frostbite in emergencies.

In August the service awarded a contract worth up to $4.75 million to be split between Propel LLC and the Belleville Boot Company for boots designed keep pilots' feet warm in temperatures as low as -20 Fahrenheit without the bulk of existing extreme cold weather boots, according to Debra McLean, acquisition program manager for Clothing & Textiles Domain at Air Force Life Cycle Management Command's Agile Combat Support/Human Systems Division.

Read More Show Less

DUBAI (Reuters) - Iran rejected accusations by the United States that it was behind attacks on Saudi oil plants that risk disrupting world energy supplies and warned on Sunday that U.S. bases and aircraft carriers in the region were in range of its missiles.

Yemen's Houthi group claimed responsibility for Saturday's attacks that knocked out more than half of Saudi oil output or more than 5% of global supply, but U.S. Secretary of State Mike Pompeo said the assault was the work of Iran, a Houthi ally.

Read More Show Less
Maj. Matthew Golsteyn in Afghanistan. (Photo courtesy of Philip Stackhouse.)

Nearly a decade after he allegedly murdered an unarmed Afghan civilian during a 2010 deployment, the case of Army Maj. Matthew Golsteyn is finally going to trial.

Read More Show Less