Get Task & Purpose in your inbox
Marine Sergeant Major-Select Arrested, Charged With 2 Felonies
A U.S. Marine selected for promotion to sergeant major was arrested recently in California and charged with two felonies, one of which involved a deadly weapon.
Police from the Temecula area of California arrested Marine Corps Sgt. Maj.-select Jeremy Wayne King on Nov. 17 and charged him with one count of assault with a deadly weapon and one count of "terrorist threats," a spokeswoman from Cois Byrd Detention Center told Military.com.
King, who is assigned to the Combat Engineer Battalion, 1st Marine Division, had a court appearance Nov. 21 and was released on bail, the spokeswoman said, but would not release further details about the incident.
He is scheduled to appear in court Dec. 7.
Military.com reached out to the Marine Corps for comment on the story but did not receive a response by press time.
The Corps recently put out a service-wide message to ensure that commanders report "criminal justice information" to the FBI on Marines prohibited from owning personal firearms.
The Nov. 12 Marine administrative message cites the November 2017 mass shooting in a Texas church, saying it could have been prevented if Air Force officials had reported former airman Devin Patrick Kelly's 2012 conviction for beating his wife and infant stepson to the FBI as required.
Marine officials said in the message that the Gun Control Act prohibits possession of a firearm or ammunition by a person who has been subject to command disciplinary proceedings or has been convicted at a special or general court-martial or in a civilian court of a crime of domestic violence.
This article originally appeared on Military.com
More articles from Military.com:
- China Expresses Concerns over US Warships in Taiwan Strait
- Blue Water Navy Bill Sinking in Senate Despite Late-Hour Talks
- In a First, Public Health Officers Receive DoD Humanitarian Medal
The recruiting commercials for the Army Reserve proclaim "one weekend each month," but the real-life Army Reserve might as well say "hold my beer."
That's because the weekend "recruiting hook" — as it's called in a leaked document compiled by Army personnel for the new chief of staff — reveal that it's, well, kinda bullshit.
When they're not activated or deployed, most reservists and guardsmen spend one weekend a month on duty and two weeks a year training, according to the Army recruiting website. But that claim doesn't seem to square with reality.
"The Army Reserve is cashing in on uncompensated sacrifices of its Soldiers on a scale that must be in the tens of millions of dollars, and that is a violation of trust, stewardship, and the Army Values," one Army Reserve lieutenant colonel, who also complained that his battalion commander "demanded" that he be available at all times, told members of an Army Transition Team earlier this year.
According to an internal Army document, soldiers feel that the service's overwhelming focus on readiness is wearing down the force, and leading some unit leaders to fudge the truth on their unit's readiness.
"Soldiers in all three Army Components assess themselves and their unit as less ready to perform their wartime mission, despite an increased focus on readiness," reads the document, which was put together by the Army Transition Team for new Chief of Staff Gen. James McConville and obtained by Task & Purpose. "The drive to attain the highest levels of readiness has led some unit leaders to inaccurately report readiness."
Lt. Gen. Eric J. Wesley, who served as the director of the transition team, said in the document's opening that though the surveys conducted are not scientific, the feedback "is honest and emblematic of the force as a whole taken from seven installations and over 400 respondents."
Those surveyed were asked to weigh in on four questions — one of which being what the Army isn't doing right. One of the themes that emerged from the answers is that "[r]eadiness demands are breaking the force."
The Army thinks China will surpass Russia by 2028. Here is how the service is planning to take them on.
If you've paid even the slightest bit of attention in the last few years, you know that the Pentagon has been zeroing in on the threat that China and Russia pose, and the future battles it anticipates.
The Army has followed suit, pushing to modernize its force to be ready for whatever comes its way. As part of its modernization, the Army adopted the Multi-Domain Operations (MDO) concept, which serves as the Army's main war-fighting doctrine and lays the groundwork for how the force will fight near-peer threats like Russia and China across land, air, sea, cyber, and space.
But in an internal document obtained by Task & Purpose, the Army Transition Team for the new Chief of Staff, Gen. James McConville, argues that China poses a more immediate threat than Russia, so the Army needs make the Asia-Pacific region its priority while deploying "minimal current conventional forces" in Europe to deter Russia.
In leaked documents, Army family reports waiting weeks to have gas line and roof leaks fixed in on-base housing
As the saying goes, you recruit the soldier, but you retain the family.
And according to internal documents obtained by Task & Purpose, the Army still has substantial work to do in addressing families' concerns.
If you're a veteran with a VA service-connected disability rating, a former prisoner of war, or a Purple Heart recipient, the exchange, recreation facilities, and commissary on base will be opening their doors to you starting in 2020.
In what's being billed as the largest expansion of new shoppers in the military commissary system in 65 years, veterans will be allowed back into many of the same retail outlets they had access to while in uniform starting on Jan. 1, 2020, thanks to a measure put in to the 2018 National Defense Authorization Act.