Marine veteran arrested in connection to raid on North Korean embassy in Spain set free

news

A combination photo of former U.S. Marine Christopher Philip Ahn allegedly shown in a still photos from a surveillance camera, standing in front of and entering the North Korea embassy in Madrid, Spain, February 22, 2019

(U.S. Attorney's Office Central District of California via Reuters)

LOS ANGELES (Reuters) - A Marine veteran accused of taking part in a raid on the North Korean Embassy in Madrid was ordered freed on $1.3 million bail on Tuesday but must serve home confinement ahead of his possible extradition to Spain.


U.S. Magistrate Judge Jean Rosenbluth, at a hearing in Los Angeles, warned Christopher Ahn, 38, that family members or close friends who posted bail for him could lose their money or property and face contempt of court charges if he fled.

"I spent a lot of time reading about you and I'm confident you're going to do the right thing," Rosenbluth told Ahn, who had several family members in attendance at the hearing.

The judge told Ahn, who lives in Chino Hills east of Los Angeles, he was to wear an ankle monitor and remain at home except for medical appointments and church.

Spanish authorities have charged Ahn with being among at least six individuals who entered the North Korean mission on Feb. 22 in Madrid, beat some embassy personnel, held them hostage for hours and then fled.

The intruders removed computers, computer drives and a mobile phone from the embassy, according to U.S. court documents.

The charges Ahn faces in Spain include breaking and entering, robbery with violence and causing injuries, according to U.S. court documents.

At least two of the individuals charged in Spain remain at large, including Adrian Hong, a Mexican national and longtime U.S. resident and activist who is said to have led the group.

Spanish investigators identified the intruders as members of a group called Cheollima Civil Defense, or Free Joseon, that seeks the overthrow of North Korean leader Kim Jong Un.

'Underground railroad'

An attorney for Ahn has acknowledged he was part of an "underground railroad" that helped at least one person and his family flee North Korean authorities, according to U.S. court documents.

The term underground railroad most commonly refers to a network of secret routes and safe houses that African-American slaves used to seek freedom in the 19th century.

Rosenbluth mentioned concerns about an "underground railroad" at the hearing on Tuesday, as she crafted conditions of Ahn's release - such as not contacting Hong - which she said were intended to keep him from fleeing.

Ahn was expected to be released from custody in the coming days after bail is posted, said Ciaran McEvoy, a spokesman for the U.S. Attorney's Office.

Ahn, who joined the U.S. Marines at 24 and served for six years, was not in the military at the time of the incident at the embassy.

"It's like a huge weight has been lifted off of our shoulders knowing that he's going to be home, he's going to be with loved ones, we can visit with him now," Juan Sanabria, 35, a former Marine who served with Ahn in Iraq said outside court.

U.S. agents arrested Ahn on April 18 in Los Angeles, and his attorneys have sought his release from custody since then.

Prosecutors objected to Ahn's release, saying he is a flight risk.

SEE ALSO: Former US Marine Arrested In Connection To Raid On North Korean Embassy In Spain

WATCH NEXT: President Donald Trump And Kim Jong Un Shake Hands

(U.S. Navy/Mass Communication Specialist 2nd Class Stephane Belcher)

The 2020 National Defense Authorization Act would allow service members to seek compensation when military doctors make mistakes that harm them, but they would still be unable to file medical malpractice lawsuits against the federal government.

On Monday night, Congress announced that it had finalized the NDAA, which must be passed by the House and Senate before going to President Donald Trump. If the president signs the NDAA into law, it would mark the first time in nearly seven decades that U.S. military personnel have had legal recourse to seek payment from the military in cases of medical malpractice.

Read More Show Less
Maj. Jason Michael Musgrove (Lincoln County Sheriff's Office)

A major serving at U.S. Army Cyber Command has been charged with distributing child pornography, according to the Justice Department.

Maj. Jason Michael Musgrove, who is based at Fort Gordon, Georgia, has been remanded to the U.S. Marshals service, a news release from the U.S. Attorney's Office for the Southern District of Georgia says.

Read More Show Less
Sailors from USS George Washington (CVN 73) wear-test the I-Boot 5 at Naval Station Norfolk. (U.S. Navy photo by Courtney Williams)

Navy senior leaders could decide whether or not to approve the new I-Boot 5 early in 2020, said Rob Carroll, director of the uniform matters office at the Chief of Naval Personnel's office.

"The I-Boot 5 is currently wrapping up its actual wear test, its evaluation," Carroll told Task & Purpose on Monday. "We're hoping that within the first quarter of calendar year 2020 that we'll be able to present leadership with the information that they need to make an informed decision."

Read More Show Less
Senator Jim Inhofe speaks with local reporters at a press conference held at the 138th Fighter Wing August 2, 2018. (U.S. National Guard/Staff Sgt. Rebecca R. Imwalle)

U.S. Sen. Jim Inhofe and U.S. Rep. Kendra Horn leveled harsh criticism last week at the contractor accused of negligence and fraudulent activity while operating private housing at Tinker Air Force Base and other military installations.

Inhofe, chairman of the Senate Armed Services Committee, referred to Balfour Beatty Communities as "notorious." Horn, a member of the House Armed Services Committee, told a company executive she was "incredibly disappointed you have failed to live up to your responsibility for taking care of the people that are living in these houses."

Read More Show Less
U.S. Senator Rick Scott speaks during a press conference at Tyndall Air Force Base, Florida, April 29, 2019. (U.S. Air Force/Airman 1st Class Monica Roybal)

The Saudi national who killed three students on a U.S. Naval Air station in Pensacola was in the United States on a training exchange program.

On Sunday, Sen. Rick Scott said the United States should suspend that program, which brings foreign nationals to America for military training, pending a "full review."

Read More Show Less