More Marines Are Headed For Afghanistan To Support The 300 Already There

news
Sgt. Patrick Clancy, a squad leader with 2nd Battalion, 7th Marine Regiment, Special Purpose Marine Air Ground Task Force - Crisis Response - Central Command, provides security during a Tactical Recovery of Aircraft and Personnel exercise at an undisclosed location in Southwest Asia, May 23, 2016.
U.S. Marine Corps photo by Cpl. Trever Statz

The Marine Corps is sending additional troops to Afghanistan in response to a request from Task Force Southwest, a 300-strong contingent of Marines based in Helmand province, according to an Aug. 8 NBC News report.


The additional force — totaling less than 100 — will deploy from the Special Purpose Marine Air Ground Task Force Crisis Response Central Command, based in the region. The new deployees will assist with “internal force protection,” according to three U.S. defense officials who spoke with NBC News, but the officials did not say where the additional troops would deploy — only that the service was “redirecting them from where they're at now to help with the mission.”

The news comes as the Pentagon weighs whether to send an additional 4,000 troops to Afghanistan to bolster the 8,400 currently there, or whether to ramp down U.S. involvement in the nation. The U.S. troops in Afghanistan are tasked with training and advising their Afghan counterparts to tackle a resurgent Taliban and a nascent Islamic State threat in the country. The “advise and assist” mission isn’t technically direct combat, but U.S. troops frequently embed with Afghan forces to provide kinetic support, which puts them in harm's way.

Two U.S. soldiers were killed, and four wounded, in a Taliban attack on a NATO convoy on Aug. 2, bringing the total number of American troop deaths in Afghanistan this year to nine, reports ABC.

The request for additional Marines is not linked to the White House’s pending strategy for Afghanistan, reports NBC. The call for additional Marines came from the commander for Task Force Southwest, Brig. Gen. Roger Turner, and was approved by Central Command’s Gen. Joseph Votel.

Related: I Deployed Twice To Helmand, I Can’t Believe Marines Are Going Back »

President Donald Trump announced in June that he would delegate troop-level authority to the Secretary of Defense, retired Marine Gen. James Mattis, but the decision for additional Marines did not require Mattis’ sign-off, one of the officials told NBC.

"The commander on the ground has the authority to move people in theater around," the official told NBC, referring to the Marines with the Special Purpose MAGTF, who are based in southwest Asia.

According to NBC, the officials said there was a yet-to-be approved request for additional U.S. air support, but provided no details on what aircraft were needed and why.

WATCH NEXT:

U.S. Air Force/Tech. Sgt. Brian Kimball

Editor's Note: This article by Oriana Pawlyk originally appeared on Military.com, a leading source of news for the military and veteran community.

Calling aviation geeks in New York City: The British are coming.

In their first visit to the United States since 2008, the Royal Air Force "Red Arrows" will perform an aerial demonstration next week over the Hudson River, according to an Air Force news release. F-35 Joint Strike Fighters, the Air Force Thunderbirds and Navy Blue Angels demonstration teams will also be part of the show.

Read More Show Less
U.S. Air National Guard/Staff Sgt. Michelle Y. Alvarez-Rea

Frances and Efrain Santiago, natives of Puerto Rico, wanted to show their support last month for protesters back home seeking to oust the island's governor.

The couple flew the flag of Puerto Rico on the garage of their Kissimmee home. It ticked off the homeowners association.

Someone from the Rolling Hills Estates Homeowners Association left a letter at their home, citing a "flag violation" and warning: "Please rectify the listed violation or you may incur a fine."

Frances Santiago, 38, an Army veteran, demanded to know why.

Read More Show Less
Todd Rosenberg/AP

A West Point graduate received a waiver from the U.S. Army to sign with the Philadelphia Eagles on Friday, and play in the NFL while serving as an active-duty soldier.

The waiver for 2nd Lt. Brett Toth was first reported by ESPN's Adam Schefter, who said that Toth signed a three-year deal with the Eagles. Toth graduated from the U.S. Military Academy in 2018.

Read More Show Less
Indiana National Guard

The Indiana National Guard soldier who was killed on Thursday in a training accident at Fort Hood has been identified as 29-year-old Staff Sgt. Andrew Michael St. John, of Greenwood, Indiana.

Read More Show Less

QUETTA, Pakistan/KABUL (Reuters) - The brother of the leader of the Afghan Taliban was among at least four people killed in a bomb blast at a mosque in Pakistan on Friday, two Taliban sources told Reuters, an attack that could affect efforts to end the Afghan war.

Read More Show Less