Get Task & Purpose in your inbox
First Marine Sentenced In Connection With 'Marines United' Nude Photo Scandal
A Marine pleaded guilty on June 29 to nonconsensually sharing nude photos on the Marines United Facebook group, according to a Marine Corps press release.
The unidentified Marine was "sentenced to 10 days confinement, reduction in rank by three grades, and a forfeiture of two-thirds of one month’s pay," the Corps said. "Additionally, the process to administratively separate the Marine is underway."
The Marine was not identified because he faced a summary court-martial, not a general or special courts-martial, and was therefore given anonymity by the Privacy Act of 1974, reported, citing a Corps spokesman.
The Marine was the first to be sentenced in connection with the Marines United Facebook group photo scandal that broke in March, when it was discovered that about 30,000 Marines were sharing nude photos of colleagues along with personal information and even encouraging sexual assault.
The Naval Criminal Investigative Service has identified 89 "persons of interest" — 22 civilians and 67 active-duty or reserve Marines — linked to the scandal since February, the Corps said.
Five of these persons are still being investigated, while 62 have been given to Marine commands for dispositions, the Corps said.
These dispositions thus far have netted "one summary court-martial, two administrative separations, seven non-judicial punishments, and 22 adverse administrative actions."
"These cases span beyond the Marines United Facebook page and include a spectrum of behavior," the Corps said.
Since the scandal, the Corps has updated policies, training and orders to prevent non-consensual nude-photo sharing, including the Marine Leader’s Handbook, which was created in April, the Corps said. All allegations of such misconduct are also now reviewed and investigated by NCIS.
“I think it's important to recognize that our understanding of the issue has evolved over time,” Gen. Glenn Walters Walters said in the Corps press release. “How we handle cases today is much different and more effective as a result of what occurred with Marines United."
More from Business Insider:
- The U.S. just successfully tested the THAAD missile-defense system amid tensions with North Korea
- The UK plans to buy over $1 billion worth of JLTVs, the U.S. military's Humvee replacement
- The U.S. military has released the first footage of Marine artillery striking ISIS in Syria
- The U.S. had a clear shot at killing Kim Jong Un on July 4 — here's why it didn't strike
- U.S. military savagely trolls ISIS after reports that leader Baghdadi is dead
Retired Army Master Sgt. Mark Allen has died 10 years after he was shot in the head while searching for deserter Pvt. Bowe Bergdahl in Afghanistan.
Allen died on Saturday at the age of 46, according to funeral information posted online.
For U.S. service members who have fought alongside the Kurds, President Donald Trump's decision to approve repositioning U.S. forces in Syria ahead of Turkey's invasion is a naked betrayal of valued allies.
"I am ashamed for the first time in my career," one unnamed special operator told Fox News Jennifer Griffin.
In a Twitter thread that went viral, Griffin wrote the soldier told her the Kurds were continuing to support the United States by guarding tens of thousands of ISIS prisoners even though Turkey had nullified an arrangement under which U.S. and Turkish troops were conducting joint patrols in northeastern Syria to allow the Kurdish People's Protection Units, or YPG, to withdraw.
"The Kurds are sticking by us," the soldier told Griffin. "No other partner I have ever dealt with would stand by us."
Defense Secretary Mark Esper said Sunday he and the Pentagon will comply with House Democrats' impeachment inquiry subpoena, but it'll be on their own schedule.
"We will do everything we can to cooperate with the Congress," Esper said on CBS' "Face the Nation." "Just in the last week or two, my general counsel sent out a note — as we typically do in these situations — to ensure documents are retained."
Most of the U.S. troops in Syria are being moved out of the country as Turkish forces and their Arab allies push further into Kurdish territory than originally expected, Task & Purpose has learned.
Roughly 1,000 U.S. troops are withdrawing from Syria, leaving a residual force of between 100 and 150 service members at the Al Tanf garrison, a U.S. official said.
"I spoke with the president last night after discussions with the rest of the national security team and he directed that we begin a deliberate withdrawal of forces from northern Syria," Defense Secretary Mark Esper said on Sunday's edition of CBS News' "Face the Nation."'
More than 700 women and children affiliated with ISIS escape Kurdish prison camp after Turkish shelling
BEIRUT/ISTANBUL (Reuters) - Women affiliated with Islamic State and their children fled en masse from a camp where they were being held in northern Syria on Sunday after shelling by Turkish forces in a five-day-old offensive, the region's Kurdish-led administration said.
Turkey's cross-border attack in northern Syria against Kurdish forces widened to target the town of Suluk which was hit by Ankara's Syrian rebel allies. There were conflicting accounts on the outcome of the fighting.
Turkey is facing threats of possible sanctions from the United States unless it calls off the incursion. Two of its NATO allies, Germany and France, have said they are halting weapons exports to Turkey. The Arab League has denounced the operation.