Meet your new defense secretary: Senate confirms Mark Esper

news
Elizabeth Warren Grills Defense Secretary Nominee Mark Esper on Raytheon and Conflicts ...

The Pentagon is no longer topless. On Tuesday, the Senate voted to confirm Mark Esper as the United States' first permanent defense secretary in more than seven months.

Esper is expected to be sworn in as defense secretary later on Tuesday, Pentagon spokesman Jonathan Hoffman told reporters.

"We are grateful for the Senate leadership and the Senate Armed Services Committee's willingness to quickly move through this process," Hoffman said.


Tuesday's vote confirming Esper marks the end of uncertainty about who will lead the Pentagon since former Defense Secretary James Mattis resigned in December to protest President Donald Trump's announcement to withdraw all U.S. troops from Syria, leaving U.S. Kurdish allies at the mercy of the Turks. The president subsequently reversed his decision.

Patrick Shanahan became acting defense secretary on Jan. 1 and Trump announced on May 9 that he would nominate Shanahan to replace Mattis, but Esper stepped in as acting defense secretary on June 24 after Shanahan was felled by domestic abuse allegations.

Due to the Federal Vacancies Reform Act, Esper reverted back to Army secretary on July 15 when the Senate received his nomination to lead the Pentagon. Navy Secretary Richard Spencer has been serving as acting defense secretary since then.

A former lobbyist for Raytheon, Esper had been serving as Army secretary since November 2017. During his confirmation hearing to become defense secretary, Sen. Elizabeth Warren (D-Mass.) interrogated Esper about whether his ties to defense industry posed a conflict of interest.

Warren, who is running for president, interrupted Esper several times during the hearing to ask if he would make decisions as defense secretary that would benefit Raytheon.

She also argued that Esper's nomination was tainted because he is expected to receive about $1 million in deferred compensation from Raytheon after 2022, yet he would be allowed as defense secretary to make decisions "affecting Raytheon's bottom line" and his own financial interests.

"This smacks of corruption, plain and simple," Warren said. "Secretary Esper, the American people deserve to know that you're making decisions in our country's best security interests, not in your own financial interests. You can't make those commitments to this committee. That means you should not be confirmed as secretary of defense."

Esper pushed back by saying he attended the U.S. Military Academy at West Point when he was 18 years old and he has abided by the values of "duty, honor, and country" ever since.

"I went to war for this country; I have served overseas for this country; I have stepped down from jobs that have paid me well more than when I was working anywhere else," Esper said. "And each time it was to serve the public good and to serve the young men and women in our armed services. So no, I disagree. I think the presumption is for some reason, anybody who comes from the business or the corporate world is corrupt."

Now that he is confirmed as defense secretary, Esper will delegate all the duties of deputy defense secretary to Spencer while the Senate considers David Norquist's nomination for the job, Hoffman said. Norquist will revert back to the Pentagon's comptroller during the confirmation process.

The Pentagon needs to fill 20 other senior positions that are currently vacant. Most recently, David Trachtenberg resigned on July 19 as undersecretary of defense for policy.

SEE ALSO: Read Secretary Mattis' Letter Of Resignation

WATCH NEXT: James Mattis Sends Holiday Message to Department of Defense

U.S. Air Force/Tech. Sgt. Brian Kimball

Editor's Note: This article by Oriana Pawlyk originally appeared on Military.com, a leading source of news for the military and veteran community.

Calling aviation geeks in New York City: The British are coming.

In their first visit to the United States since 2008, the Royal Air Force "Red Arrows" will perform an aerial demonstration next week over the Hudson River, according to an Air Force news release. F-35 Joint Strike Fighters, the Air Force Thunderbirds and Navy Blue Angels demonstration teams will also be part of the show.

Read More Show Less
U.S. Air National Guard/Staff Sgt. Michelle Y. Alvarez-Rea

Frances and Efrain Santiago, natives of Puerto Rico, wanted to show their support last month for protesters back home seeking to oust the island's governor.

The couple flew the flag of Puerto Rico on the garage of their Kissimmee home. It ticked off the homeowners association.

Someone from the Rolling Hills Estates Homeowners Association left a letter at their home, citing a "flag violation" and warning: "Please rectify the listed violation or you may incur a fine."

Frances Santiago, 38, an Army veteran, demanded to know why.

Read More Show Less
Todd Rosenberg/AP

A West Point graduate received a waiver from the U.S. Army to sign with the Philadelphia Eagles on Friday, and play in the NFL while serving as an active-duty soldier.

The waiver for 2nd Lt. Brett Toth was first reported by ESPN's Adam Schefter, who said that Toth signed a three-year deal with the Eagles. Toth graduated from the U.S. Military Academy in 2018.

Read More Show Less
Indiana National Guard

The Indiana National Guard soldier who was killed on Thursday in a training accident at Fort Hood has been identified as 29-year-old Staff Sgt. Andrew Michael St. John, of Greenwood, Indiana.

Read More Show Less

QUETTA, Pakistan/KABUL (Reuters) - The brother of the leader of the Afghan Taliban was among at least four people killed in a bomb blast at a mosque in Pakistan on Friday, two Taliban sources told Reuters, an attack that could affect efforts to end the Afghan war.

Read More Show Less