MARSOC Looks To Grow Despite Personnel Caps

news
A U.S. Marine with 3rd Marine Raider Battalion, Marine Corps Forces Special Operations Command (MARSOC), posts security during an urban operations raid on Camp Lejeune, N.C., Nov. 17, 2016.
U.S. Marine Corps photo by Cpl. Christopher A. Mendoza

Editor’s Note: This article by Hope Hodge Seck originally appeared on Military.com, the premier source of information for the military and veteran community.


If the Marine Corps gets its requested 12,000-troop boost to reach an end strength of 194,000, its elite special operations command will be growing too, the commander of MARSOC said Tuesday.

And that growth could be the most significant manpower increase within U.S. Special Operations Command in some time.

Speaking to an audience at the National Defense Industrial Association's Special Operations/Low Intensity Conflict conference near Washington, D.C., Maj. Gen. Carl Mundy III said the command needs to grow to sustain its deployment tempo and give operators adequate time at home.

"We would call it getting healthy and fixing the force and getting MARSOC to a level commensurate to the original vision of where we need it to be," he said. "There are certain parts of the MARSOC community that are stressed more than others. We want that capability so we can get a little more balanced in our ability to provide forces downrange."

The prospect of growth within SOCOM is significant as the entire command has been subject to a personnel cap of 69,700 that took effect in 2013 as part of the Budget Control Act.

Lt. Gen. Thomas Trask, vice commander of SOCOM, said it had been on track to grow to between 72,000 and 73,000 troops and civilians when the troop caps took effect, essentially freezing topline growth for four years and counting.

Still, Trask said, it was a better deal than was offered to the services -- a number of which, including the Marine Corps, had to shrink significantly.

But of all the special operations component commands, MARSOC may be the best candidate to get bigger, he said.

With an end strength of 2,742, including roughly 960 critical skills operators, MARSOC represents just 1.5 percent of the total Marine Corps Force, which stands today at 182,000. By comparison, as of fiscal 2014, the Navy's special operations component made up 2.6 percent of its military force; the Army's, 3.2 percent; and the Air Force's, 3.1 percent, according to a Government Accountability Office assessment.

MARSOC, which at 11 years old is the most junior of the special operations service components, makes up about 3 percent of the SOCOM total force, but completes nearly 9 percent of the command's operations and deployments, command spokesman Maj. Nicholas Mannweiler said.

Because of these factors, Trask said MARSOC is a strong candidate for growth.

"We recruit for most of our specialties from the conventional services. And, in some cases, there's more recruiting ground than others, depending on the size of the service," he said. "We think our Marine Corps component is a much smaller by percentage component of their service than some of the other components. So we think there is some recruiting room inside the Marine Corps."

"It's all pre-decisional," Mundy told Military.com, declining to specify what specialties are targets for prospective growth. "If the Marine Corps is going to [194,000], there is every likelihood that we would have our commensurate piece of that. We're all kind of dealing with what that would look like, what are our needs, what do we think the future requirements would be."

The article originally appeared on Military.com.

More from Military.com:

WASHINGTON (Reuters) - U.S. Defense Secretary Mark Esper said on Friday that no U.S. troops will take part in enforcing the so-called safe zone in northern Syria and the United States "is continuing our deliberate withdrawal from northeastern Syria."

Turkish President Tayyip Erdogan earlier on Friday said Turkey will set up a dozen observation posts across northeast Syria, insisting that a planned "safe zone" will extend much further than U.S. officials said was covered under a fragile ceasefire deal.

Read More Show Less

On Tuesday at the Association of the U.S. Army's annual conference, Army families had the opportunity to tell senior leaders exactly what was going on in their worlds — an opportunity that is, unfortunately, all too rare.

Read More Show Less

The fog of war, just kills, and war crimes are the focus of a new documentary series coming to STARZ. Titled Leavenworth, the six-part series profiles 1st Lt. Clint Lorance, the Army infantry officer who was convicted on murder charges for ordering his soldiers to fire on three unarmed Afghan men on a motorcycle, killing two and wounding the third, while deployed to the Zhari district in Kandahar province, on July 2, 2012.

Read More Show Less

A big stereotype surrounding U.S. service members and veterans is that they are defined only by their military service, from buying "Dysfunctional Veteran" t-shirts to playing hard-boiled, high-octane first-person shooters like Battlefield and Call of Duty (we honestly have no idea where anyone could get that impression).

But the folks at OSD (formerly called Operation Supply Drop), a non-profit veteran service organization that aims to help troops and vets connect with each other through free video games, service programs and other activities, recently found that most of the gamers they've served actually prefer less military-centric fare like sports games and fantasy RPGs.

Read More Show Less

CEYLANPINAR, Turkey (Reuters) - Shelling could be heard at the Syrian-Turkish border on Friday morning despite a five-day ceasefire agreed between Turkey and the United States, and Washington said the deal covered only a small part of the territory Ankara aims to seize.

Reuters journalists at the border heard machine-gun fire and shelling and saw smoke rising from the Syrian border battlefield city of Ras al Ain, although the sounds of fighting had subsided by mid-morning.

The truce, announced on Thursday by U.S. Vice President Mike Pence after talks in Ankara with Turkish President Tayyip Erdogan, sets out a five-day pause to let the Kurdish-led SDF militia withdraw from an area controlled by Turkish forces.

The SDF said air and artillery attacks continued to target its positions and civilian targets in Ral al Ain.

"Turkey is violating the ceasefire agreement by continuing to attack the town since last night," SDF spokesman Mustafa Bali tweeted.

The Kurdish-led administration in the area said Turkish truce violations in Ras al Ain had caused casualties, without giving details.

Read More Show Less