Get Task & Purpose in your inbox
Mattis Freezes White House's Transgender Policy, Allows Troops To Continue Serving Until Study Completed
On Tuesday evening, Secretary of Defense James Mattis released a statement saying that transgender service members will be permitted to remain in the armed forces until a study can be conducted on "military readiness, lethality, and unit cohesion, with due regard for budgetary constraints and consistent with applicable law."
Prior to President Donald Trump's July 26 "policy-by-tweet," announcing that the U.S. government would not longer allow "transgender individuals to serve in any capacity in the U.S. Military," the Department of Defense was in the middle of reviewing how it would integrate transgender service members and recruits. In 2016, then-Secretary Ash Carter officially lifted the ban on transgender service members in the military under the Obama administration, giving service chiefs until July 2017 to develop guidelines for accessions of transgender individuals. Trump's declaration at the end of the month caught the Pentagon by surprise, but has slowly been reeled in under the direction on Mattis and the Joint Chiefs of Staff.
It is unclear whether the military will allow transgender individuals to enter the services during this review period; although, according to his statement, it seems Mattis' freeze on the transgender ban only applies to currently serving military members.
Read his full statement below:
A former sailor who was busted buying firearms with his military discount and then reselling some of them to criminals is proving to be a wealth of information for federal investigators.
Julio Pino used his iPhone to record most, if not all, of his sales, court documents said. He even went so far as to review the buyers' driver's license on camera.
It is unclear how many of Pino's customer's now face criminal charges of their own. Federal indictments generally don't provide that level of detail and Assistant U.S. Attorney William B. Jackson declined to comment.
It all began with a medical check.
Carson Thomas, a healthy and fit 20-year-old infantryman who had joined the Army after a brief stint in college, figured he should tell the medics about the pain in his groin he had been feeling. It was Feb. 12, 2012, and the senior medic looked him over and decided to send him to sick call at the base hospital.
It seemed almost routine, something the Army doctors would be able to diagnose and fix so he could get back to being a grunt.
Now looking back on what happened some seven years later, it was anything but routine.
The US military now has to ask the Iraqis for permission before giving close air support to troops in combat
U.S. forces must now ask the Iraqi military for permission to fly in Iraqi airspace before coming to the aid of U.S. troops under fire, a top military spokesman said.
However, the mandatory approval process is not expected to slow down the time it takes the U.S. military to launch close air support and casualty evacuation missions for troops in the middle of a fight, said Army Col. James Rawlinson, a spokesman for Combined Joint Task Force-Operation Inherent Resolve.
Army Spc. Clayton James Horne died in Saudi Arabia on Aug. 17, making him the eighth non-combat fatality for Operation Inherent Resolve so far this year, defense officials have announced.
Horne, 23, was assigned to the 351st Military Police Company, 160th Military Police Battalion, an Army Reserve unit based in Ocala, Florida, a Pentagon news release says.
The soldier who was arrested for taking an armored personnel carrier on a slow-speed police chase through Virginia has been found not guilty by reason of insanity on two charges, according to The Richmond-Times Dispatch.
Joshua Phillip Yabut, 30, entered a plea of not guilty by reason of insanity for unauthorized use of a motor vehicle — in this case, a 12-ton APC taken from Fort Pickett in June 2018 — and violating the terms of his bond, which stemmed from a trip to Iraq he took in March 2019 (which was not a military deployment).