If Mattis Is Mad About $28 Million Wasted In Afghanistan, He Hasn't Been Paying Attention

news
DoD photo

On Monday, the Associated Press obtained a July 21 memo from Secretary of Defense Jim Mattis in which he chided the Pentagon for “cavalier” spending in Afghanistan. Specifically, he was angered that the Pentagon sunk $28 million over a decade into forest-print uniforms for Afghan soldiers — a camouflage pattern that makes little sense in the desertlike theater.


Mattis called the botched uniform buy “an example of ‘cavalier or casually acquiescent decisions’ that undermine the mission in Afghanistan and undercut public trust,” the Associated Press reported.

But the thing is, in the grand scheme of mismanaged money in Afghanistan, $28 million is nothing.

As far back as 2014, John Sopko, the Special Inspector General for Afghanistan Reconstruction, said that US efforts to fix the nation’s infrastructure have been “an abysmal failure.” The Afghan uniform issue is just the latest in a string of bad spending decisions made with regard to Afghanistan. In 2016, NBC News caught up with Sopko, who listed 12 different instances in which the Pentagon wasted money in the war.

These failures include a $34 million spend on a soybean program for a population that doesn't eat soybeans; $36 million on the “64K” command-and-control facility at Camp Leatherneck that officials deemed unnecessary (after it was built); $82 million on incinerators that were never used; and $335 million on a power plant that only produced 1% of its promised capacity.

Between 2001 and 2016, Sopko said that $113.1 billion has been poured into Afghan reconstruction — at least $10 billion more than the entire cost of post-World War II reconstruction. And we are nowhere near finished in Afghanistan.

“We have to remember why we are there in Afghanistan. We are there to kick the bad guys out and then to help create an Afghan government that will get the support of their people to keep the bad guys out,” Sopko told an interviewer in 2015.

But, he added, “You lose that support when you build things that fall down.”

WATCH NEXT:

Staff Sgt. Stevon A. Booker, a 3rd Infantry Division Soldier who was assigned to Company A, 1st Battalion, 64th Armor Regiment and killed in action in Iraq in 2003, is depicted in a photo illustration alongside the Distinguished Service Cross medal, which he is slated to posthumously receive for his heroic actions during Operation Iraqi Freedom, April 5, 2018, in Pittsburgh, Pa. (U.S. Army)

Editor's Note: This article by Matthew Cox originally appeared onMilitary.com, a leading source of news for the military and veteran community.

The U.S. Army has announced it will upgrade a former 3rd Infantry Division soldier's Silver Star to a Distinguished Service Cross for his bravery during the unit's "Thunder Run" attack on Baghdad, Iraq, in 2003.

Read More Show Less
KCNA

HANOI (Reuters) - North Korean leader Kim Jong Un told the U.S. secretary of state he did not want his children to live with the burden of nuclear weapons, a former CIA officer involved in high-level diplomacy over the North's weapons was quoted as saying on Saturday.

Read More Show Less

An Oregon Air National Guard F-15C Eagle that made an emergency landing on Wednesday ditched its entire arsenal of live air-to-air missiles before touching down at Portland International Airport, The War Zone reports.

Read More Show Less

Several hundred U.S. troops will remain in Syria after allied forces clear ISIS fighters out of their last stronghold in the country, officials said on Friday.

President Donald Trump announced in December that he would withdraw all U.S. troops from Syria, but Sen. Lindsey Graham has since made a strong push to keep a small residual force along the Turkish border along with troops from European allies.

Read More Show Less
Chris Osman (Photo: _chris_osman_designs/Instagram)

The former Navy SEAL among a group of eight men arrested earlier this week in Port-au-Prince on weapons charges says he was providing security work "for people who are directly connected to the current President" of Haiti.

"We were being used as pawns in a public fight between him and the current Prime Minister of Haiti," said Chris Osman, 44, in a post on Instagram Friday. "We were not released we were in fact rescued."

Read More Show Less