McCain Slams Mabus For 'Tinkering' With Navy Job Titles

news
Sen. John McCain, from Arizona and the Chairman of the Senate Armed Services Committee, listens as Army Gen. John F. Campbell, commander of the U.S. forces in Afghanistan, speaks during a hearing in Washington on Thursday, Feb. 12, 2015.
U.S. Army photo by Staff Sgt. Chuck Burden

The Navy formally announced its decision to bring back its 241-year-old job ratings on Dec. 21, amid complaints from current and former sailors.


Following the reversal of the unpopular decision, Sen. John McCain, himself a decorated naval aviator and chairman of the Senate Armed Services Committee slammed the original decision to drop the Navy’s ratings an example of “pointless policy tinkering,”

In a statement McCain took a swipe at Secretary of the Navy Ray Mabus, saying:

“Revoking these titles, many of which have been a part of the Navy’s identity for centuries, defied basic common sense and distracted from the real challenges confronting the men and women serving in our Navy.”

The branch’s review of its ratings began earlier this year at the behest of Mabus, who ordered the Navy and Marine Corps to ensure their job titles were gender-neutral, following the opening of previously closed career fields to women. The decision prompted criticism from service members who saw  tradition taking a back seat to political correctness, a sentiment expressed by McCain in his sentiment.

Related: After Enough Complaints, Navy Actually Brings Back Beloved Ratings System »

“Unfortunately this was not an isolated incident of pointless policy tinkering,” he stated. “A number of other recent policy changes also appear to have been made with shallow analysis and unnecessary urgency.”

Before he reversed the decision, the Chief of Naval Operations Adm. John Richardson acknowledged that senior Navy leaders, himself included, misjudged how sailors would react to the decision.

"I underestimated how fiercely loyal people were to their rating,” Richardson said, according to Navy Times. “I've gotten a fair amount of feedback on that.”

Roughly a dozen U.S. troops showing concussion-related symptoms are being medically evacuated from Al-Asad Air Base in Iraq to Landstuhl Regional Medical Center in Germany, a defense official told Task & Purpose on Tuesday.

Read More

In a Galaxy — err, I mean, on a military base far, far away, soldiers are standing in solidarity with galactic freedom fighters.

Sitting at the top of an Army press release from March 2019, regarding the East Africa Response Force's deployment to Gabon, the photo seems, at first glance, just like any other: Soldiers on the move.

But if you look closer at the top right, you'll find something spectacular: A Rebel Alliance flag.

Read More
The maiden flight of the first CMV-22B Osprey took place in Amarillo, Texas (Courtesy photo)

The first of the CMV-22B Osprey tiltrotor aircraft the Navy plans on adopting as its carrier onboard delivery (COD) aircraft of choice has successfully completed its first flight operations, manufacturer Boeing announced on Tuesday.

Read More
A soldier plugs his ears during a live fire mission at Yakima Training Center. Photo: Capt. Leslie Reed/U.S. Army

Another 300 lawsuits against 3M flooded federal courts this month as more military veterans accuse the behemoth manufacturer of knowingly making defective earplugs that caused vets to lose hearing during combat in Iraq or Afghanistan or while training on U.S. military bases.

On another front, 3M also is fighting lawsuits related to a class of chemicals known as PFAS, with the state of Michigan filing a lawsuit last week against the Maplewood-based company.

To date, nearly 2,000 U.S. veterans from Minnesota to California and Texas have filed more than 1,000 lawsuits.

Read More

GENEVA (Reuters) - North Korea said on Tuesday it was no longer bound by commitments to halt nuclear and missile testing, blaming the United States' failure to meet a year-end deadline for nuclear talks and "brutal and inhumane" U.S. sanctions.

North Korean leader Kim Jong Un set an end-December deadline for denuclearization talks with the United States and White House national security adviser Robert O'Brien said at the time the United States had opened channels of communication.

O'Brien said then he hoped Kim would follow through on denuclearization commitments he made at summits with U.S. President Donald Trump.

Read More