The White House national security adviser again denied that President Donald Trump improperly shared classified information with Russian diplomats in an Oval Office meeting last week, seeking to quell growing criticism of Trump’s reported disclosure.
Speaking to reporters at the White House, H.R. McMaster called Trump’s conversation “consistent with the routine sharing of information” between the president and a foreign power.
McMaster said Trump “wasn’t even aware” of the source of the information and again called “the premise” of a Washington Post report that Trump had improperly shared highly classified intelligence “false.”
“It is wholly appropriate for the president to share whatever information he thinks is to the advancement of the security of the American people,” McMaster said.
McMaster, echoing a consistent Trump complaint, sought to turn the focus of the latest flap to whomever leaked the nature of the conversation to reporters — even as he maintained that nothing inappropriate was discussed.
“Our national security has been put at risk by those violating confidentiality, and those releasing information to the press that could be connected with other information available to make American citizens and others more vulnerable,” he said.
According to the Post report, senior U.S. officials realized that Trump had disclosed highly sensitive information to Russian Foreign Minister Sergey Lavrov and Russian Ambassador to the United States Sergey Kislyak, and moved quickly to try to contain the fallout by calling U.S. senior intelligence officials.
McMaster said that if any official later called to warn U.S. intelligence agencies about a potential breach, it was “maybe from an overabundance of caution.”
Trump’s decision to share the intelligence, which he has said related to a potential threat to commercial aviation, was not planned, McMaster indicated.
He said Trump raised the issue “as a basis for common action and coordination” to address the threat from terrorism.
“He made the decision in the context of the conversation,” he said.
A small unmanned aerial vehicle built by service academy cadets is shown here flying above ground. This type of small UAV was used by cadets and midshipmen from the U.S. Air Force Academy, the U.S. Military Academy and the U.S. Naval Academy, during a Defense Advanced Research Projects Agency-sponsored competition at Camp Roberts, California, April 23-25, 2017. During the competition, cadets and midshipmen controlled small UAVs in "swarm" formations to guard territory on the ground at Camp Roberts. (U.S. Air Force photo)
Drones have been used in conflicts across the globe and will play an even more important role in the future of warfare. But, the future of drones in combat will be different than what we have seen before.
The U.S. military can set itself apart from others by embracing autonomous drone warfare through swarming — attacking an enemy from multiple directions through dispersed and pulsing attacks. There is already work being done in this area: The U.S. military tested its own drone swarm in 2017, and the UK announced this week it would fund research into drone swarms that could potentially overwhelm enemy air defenses.
I propose we look to the amoeba, a single-celled organism, as a model for autonomous drones in swarm warfare. If we were to use the amoeba as this model, then we could mimic how the organism propels itself by changing the structure of its body with the purpose of swarming and destroying an enemy.
Soldiers from 4th Squadron, 9th U.S. Cavalry Regiment "Dark Horse," 2nd Armored Brigade Combat Team, 1st Cavalry Division, are escorted by observer controllers from the U.S. Army Operational Test Command after completing field testing of the Armored Multi-Purpose Vehicle (AMPV) Sept. 24, 2018. (U.S. Army/Maj. Carson Petry)
The Army has awarded a $575 million contract to BAE Systems for the initial production of its replacement for the M113 armored personnel carriers the service has been rocking downrange since the Vietnam War.
President Donald Trump has formally outlined how his administration plans to stand up the Space Force as the sixth U.S. military service – if Congress approves.
On Tuesday, Trump signed a directive that calls for the Defense Department to submit a proposal to Congress that would make Space Force fall under Department of the Air Force, a senior administration official said.