US troops will build tent 'facilities' to lodge at least 7,500 adult migrants

news

U.S. Soldiers and airmen assemble the framework for a tent at Davis-Monthan Air Force Base, Ariz., November 4, 2018. Various military branches are deployed as support to local Department of Homeland Security and U.S. Customs and Border Protection agents in support of Operation Faithful Patriot.

(U.S. Army photo by Spc. Keion Jackson).

The U.S. military will build 'facilities' to house at least 7,500 adult migrants, the Pentagon announced on Wednesday.

Acting Defense Secretary Patrick Shanahan has approved a request from the Department of Homeland Security to construct the facilities, said Pentagon spokesman Army Maj. Chris Mitchell.


Toward that end, the Defense Department will loan the civil authorities soft tents, which the military will set up at locations identified by the Department of Homeland Security, Mitchell said.

"Military personnel will not operate the facilities and will only erect the tents," Mitchell said. "Operating the facilities remains the responsibility of DHS."

Over the next two weeks, defense officials will conduct site assessments to figure out the cost and timeline for building the facilities in Tucson and Yuma, Arizona; and Tornillo, Donna, Laredo, and Del Rio, Texas, he said.

The migrants will be held at the facilities as part of U.S. Immigration and Customs Enforcement removal operations, Mitchell said.

SEE ALSO: The Army Just Awarded $976 Million In Contracts For Border Wall Construction

WATCH NEXT: Footage of Smuggler From Aerostat, McAllen, TX

The suspect in the death of 21-year-old U.S. Marine Cpl. Tyler Wallingford, who was fatally shot in the barracks of the U.S. Marine Corps Air Station Beaufort more than nine months ago, was found guilty in military court of involuntary manslaughter earlier this month and sentenced to more than five years.

Read More
U.S. Navy/Mass Communication Specialist 2nd Class Dylan McKay

A U.S. Navy aircrew has been rescued after their MH-60S helicopter went down into the Philippine Sea on Saturday.

Read More
Photo: Fort Jackson Public Affairs

A 19-year-old Army private who died during basic training earlier this month was posthumously promoted to private first class, just before friends and family gathered for a memorial service to honor his life on Jan. 16.

Read More

The Veterans of Foreign Wars has demanded an apology from President Trump over recent comments in which he downplayed the seriousness of traumatic brain injuries suffered by American troops in an Iranian missile attack.

"The Veterans of Foreign Wars cannot stand idle on this matter," William "Doc" Schmitz, VFW National Commander, said in a statement Friday, noting TBI is a serious injury known to cause depression, memory loss, severe headaches and other symptoms in the short and long-term.

Read More