The Military Can Now Shoot Down Drones Getting Too Close To Installations

news
DJI Phantom quadcopter
Flickr photo/PIVISO

U.S. military officials are now authorized to destroy personal or commercial drones flying into restricted airspace in and around 133 domestic military installations, Pentagon officials said Monday.


The Pentagon provided classified instructions last month to commanders at the installations detailing measures that they can take against drones flying over their bases, said Navy Capt. Jeff Davis, a Pentagon spokesman.

The Federal Aviation Administration in April announced a ban for nearly all types of unmanned aerial systems over 133 military installations and testing sites because of security concerns.

Davis said Monday that he could not detail the “rules of engagement” for targeting drones, but he said they included steps such as “tracking, disabling or destroying” them depending on whether they are perceived to pose a threat.

Drones have rapidly grown in popularity in the United States, and the FAA in March estimated the market would grow from about 1.1 million small personal drones in 2016 to more than 3.5 million by 2021. It also estimated commercial drones would expand from about 42,000 to some 442,000 in the same time.

As drones increase in use, Pentagon officials have grown increasingly concerned they could interfere with military training operations within the United States or be used to target personnel.

“The increase of personal and private drones in the United States has raised our concerns in regards to safety and security of our installations,” Davis said. “Protecting our forces remains our top priority.”

Davis said the Defense Department worked with the FAA and other federal agencies to develop its new policy. Installations will soon begin working with local communities to engage the public about restrictions on drone usage around military installations, he said.

WATCH NOW:

———

©2017 the Stars and Stripes. Distributed by Tribune Content Agency, LLC.

WASHINGTON (Reuters) - Known for acting on impulse, President Donald Trump has adopted an uncharacteristically go-slow approach to whether to hold Iran responsible for attacks on Saudi oil facilities, showing little enthusiasm for confrontation as he seeks re-election next year.

After state-owned Saudi Aramco's plants were struck on Saturday, Trump didn't wait long to fire off a tweet that the United States was "locked and loaded" to respond, and Secretary of State Mike Pompeo blamed Iran.

But four days later, Trump has no timetable for action. Instead, he wants to wait and see the results of investigations into what happened and is sending Pompeo to consult counterparts in Saudi Arabia and the United Arab Emirates this week.

Read More Show Less

That sound you're hearing is Army senior leaders exhaling a sigh of relief, because the Army has surpassed its recruiting goal for the year.

After failing to meet recruiting goals in 2018, the Army put the pedal to the metal and "did some soul searching," said Acting Army Secretary Ryan McCarthy, to ensure that they'd meet their 2019 goal. It must have paid off — the service announced on Tuesday that more than 68,000 recruits have signed on as active-duty soldiers, and more soldiers have stuck around than they expected.

Read More Show Less

Air Force Chief of Staff Gen. David Goldfein transformed into the Cigarette Smoking Man from "The X-Files" on Tuesday when explaining why UFO enthusiasts should avoid storming the mythical Area 51 installation in Nevada.

"All joking aside, we're taking it very seriously," Goldfein told reporters during the Air Force Association's annual Air, Space, and Cyber Conference. "Our nation has secrets, and those secrets deserve to be protected. The people deserve to have our nation's secrets protected."

Read More Show Less
Paul Szoldra/Task & Purpose

SAN DIEGO — A San Diego-based Navy SEAL acquitted of murder in a closely watched war crimes trial this summer has filed a lawsuit against two of his former attorneys and a military legal defense nonprofit, according to a complaint filed in federal court in Texas on Friday.

Read More Show Less

NATIONAL HARBOR, Maryland — The Air Force is reviewing whether some airmen's valor awards deserve to be upgraded to the Medal of Honor, Chief of Staff Gen. David Goldfein said on Tuesday.

Goldfein revealed that several airmen are being considered for the nation's highest military award during a press conference at the Air Force Association's annual Air, Space, and Cyber Conference. He declined to say exactly who could receive the Medal of Honor, pending the outcome of the review process.

Read More Show Less