Here’s How Military Leaders Have Responded To The Extremism On Display In Charlottesville

news
The U.S. military service chiefs, from left, Army Chief of Staff Gen. Mark Milley, Chief of Naval Operations Adm. John Richardson, Marine Corps Commandant Gen. Robert B. Neller and Air Force Chief of Staff Gen. David Goldfein, are shown last year.
Photo via Associated Press

Every service branch in the U.S. armed forces explicit prohibits personnel from participating in the type of extremist organizations, from white nationalists to neo-Nazis, that marched through the streets of Charlottesville to protest the removal of a statue of Confederate Gen. Robert E. Lee. But just in case active-duty troops and veterans like hate group Vanguard America's self-described "CEO" Dillon Ulysses Hopper have picked up mixed messages amid the fallout from the violent clashes that left one dead, Pentagon leadership is here with a clear message: Knock that shit off.


On Aug. 12, hours after Army wash-out James Alex Fields plowed his car through a crowd of innocent bystanders, Chief of Naval Operations Adm. John Richardson posted a statement on Facebook declaring that the Navy would “forever stand against intolerance and hatred.”

https://www.facebook.com/CNORichardson/posts/866114003536994

esterday, Marine Corps Commandant Gen. Robert Neller tweeted that there is “no place for racial hatred and extremism” within the Corps.

On Aug. 16, Army Chief of Staff Gen. Mark Milley concurred with Neller, reminding soldiers of their historic charge to uphold the ideal the country was founded on.

Milley was followed hours later by Air Force Chief of Staff Gen. David Goldfein:

And don’t forget Gen. Joseph L. Lengyel, chief of the National Guard Bureau!

It’s worth noting, of course, that Chairman of the Joint Chiefs of Staff Gen. Joe Dunford, Vice Chairman Gen. Paul J. Selva, and Coast Guard Commandant Adm. Paul Zukunft have been silent thus far about the specter of extremism, on display in Charlottesville, that may lurk in the armed forces. For Selva, well, whatever: The vice chairmanship is sort of irrelevant within the chain of command and the structure of the Joint Chiefs of Staff. And as for Dunford — maybe he has other, more pressing issues to focus on at the moment?

WATCH NEXT: 

WASHINGTON (Reuters) - Known for acting on impulse, President Donald Trump has adopted an uncharacteristically go-slow approach to whether to hold Iran responsible for attacks on Saudi oil facilities, showing little enthusiasm for confrontation as he seeks re-election next year.

After state-owned Saudi Aramco's plants were struck on Saturday, Trump didn't wait long to fire off a tweet that the United States was "locked and loaded" to respond, and Secretary of State Mike Pompeo blamed Iran.

But four days later, Trump has no timetable for action. Instead, he wants to wait and see the results of investigations into what happened and is sending Pompeo to consult counterparts in Saudi Arabia and the United Arab Emirates this week.

Read More Show Less

That sound you're hearing is Army senior leaders exhaling a sigh of relief, because the Army has surpassed its recruiting goal for the year.

After failing to meet recruiting goals in 2018, the Army put the pedal to the metal and "did some soul searching," said Acting Army Secretary Ryan McCarthy, to ensure that they'd meet their 2019 goal. It must have paid off — the service announced on Tuesday that more than 68,000 recruits have signed on as active-duty soldiers, and more soldiers have stuck around than they expected.

Read More Show Less

Air Force Chief of Staff Gen. David Goldfein transformed into the Cigarette Smoking Man from "The X-Files" on Tuesday when explaining why UFO enthusiasts should avoid storming the mythical Area 51 installation in Nevada.

"All joking aside, we're taking it very seriously," Goldfein told reporters during the Air Force Association's annual Air, Space, and Cyber Conference. "Our nation has secrets, and those secrets deserve to be protected. The people deserve to have our nation's secrets protected."

Read More Show Less
Paul Szoldra/Task & Purpose

SAN DIEGO — A San Diego-based Navy SEAL acquitted of murder in a closely watched war crimes trial this summer has filed a lawsuit against two of his former attorneys and a military legal defense nonprofit, according to a complaint filed in federal court in Texas on Friday.

Read More Show Less

NATIONAL HARBOR, Maryland — The Air Force is reviewing whether some airmen's valor awards deserve to be upgraded to the Medal of Honor, Chief of Staff Gen. David Goldfein said on Tuesday.

Goldfein revealed that several airmen are being considered for the nation's highest military award during a press conference at the Air Force Association's annual Air, Space, and Cyber Conference. He declined to say exactly who could receive the Medal of Honor, pending the outcome of the review process.

Read More Show Less