This month, we are celebrating our 5-year anniversary at MilitaryOneClick.com. I can clearly remember sitting at my computer in January of 2011 and pressing the button to buy the domain for MilitaryOneClick.com.
As I made this purchase, I pictured myself in the Wild West, riding my horse through the plains of Texas and throwing my stake in the ground, claiming my new piece of land. It was exhilarating and scary all at the same time.
Of course, I’m originally from NJ, I don’t have a horse, and I didn’t “actually” throw a stake in the ground – instead I was in my living room armed with my laptop, a credit card and my bulldog snoring next to me.But I quickly found out being a start-up is a lot like the Wild West. I entered uncharted territory and it was up to me to survive.
- Everything takes 5 times longer than you expect – I thought for sure MilitaryOneClick would be a success in its first 5 weeks! It’s taken a bit longer…like 5 years longer.
- Your team is everything! I truly could not have done any of this without our incredible team. Build your team as soon as you can, one person at a time.
- This is hard on your family. And hard on you.
- Your mission is truly what matters most when building your company. Your plan will change; your goals might change – but your mission should stay the same.
- I love being an entrepreneur! And I love my fellow starter-upers…because we all have a bit of the Wild West in us! Yee Haw!